Books to recommend?

remington
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

Maythen21 wrote:How about a few authors?

Starhawk. In my current collection I have at least four of her books. I highly reccomend reading Spiral Dance even if you aren't interested in her politics or feminism. For some advanced work check out The Pagan Book of Living and Dying, particularly if you work with the dead/dying or are a healer.

Buckland. Uncle Buck is a bit of a perv, but if you ignore some of his personal predilictions the material is sound. Start with Buckland's Complete Guide to Witchcraft. If you like his style check out his other work, particularly his guide to communicating with spirits, and books on candle magic.

Scott Cunningham. Pretty much it's all good. His guides for the solitary practitioner are indespensible. His guides for herbs, stones, and household magic should be in every library.

All three of these authors communicate in a fairly modern and easy to understand fashion. The material is presented in an approachable manner, and it is practical.

My advice is not to skip around. Most 101 books are written in the order presented for a reason. Skills learned early are built upon in later lessons. Diligence in study and dedication to the material are essential for deeper understanding. Feel free to dip in at random when using reference materials (like Cunningham's Guide to Herbs) but othewise view it as a workbook, or the text of a class.

I have reservations about some of her work, but Silver Raven Wolfs book Mindlight is a really fine primer on energy work when you've gotten past the 101 stage but aren't ready for advanced high magic text, or want to stick with "low" magic.

great books maythen i found all to be invaluable and all are in my personal library can i also throw anything by Dion fortune in to the suggestion pile

cheers rach
tinkyberz
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 20
Spelled Number: 11
Your favorite spirit to work with: Kitsune and Faeries
If I could be anything, I would be...: Faeries
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Tinkyberz
Zodiac:

Wow, so many great books and authors suggested. :thankyou: will slowing go into them along my journey :thumbup:

*~*~ Jianyi Intl: Ancient arts of geomancy, divination, date selections, etc ~*~*
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

Oh, almost forgot, an old friend of mine, now sadly deceased:

The Secret Science Behind Miracles
The Secret Science at Work

Both by Max Freedom Long

ANd if you can find any rare books by Ophiel...they are worth reading.

Also, they are now reprinting the various books written by C. Howard Hinton (esp. The FOurth Dimension)

and of course WIlliam Blake's The Book of Urizen and also The MArriage of Heaven & Hell

Austin Osmon Spare is fairly dense, but any read with Spare's books are a "Mind-Expander".

C-

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
crone maatkaere
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 2638
Spelled Number: 847
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven Greywolf
Zodiac:

hi tinkyberz, first, merry meet and welcome! a few of the best books any beginner on the path to learning magick can start with actually are put out by witch school - levels one, two and three. level one teaches all the basics from centering, grounding, mindset to learning to focus and commit to what you want to do.

a few others that are helpful are:

the magic shield by francis melville
egyptian magic by e. a. wallis budge
between good & evil, polarities of power by william gray
ancient magicks for a new age; rituals from the merlin temple by alan richardson and geoff hughes

once you get into the intermediate level, please let me know and i'll pass along some information that my mentor passed to me as well as giving you titles to books that prior to that level would just confuse anyone. :) hope this helps. i have a lot more titles you could find useful now but most of my books and grimoires have been packed ready for my move. :hug: :heart: :grouphug:

witch, wa, da, specialty in egyptian, celt, asian, hindu magick
trained conjurer
cupping healer
reiki grand master and elven shaman

By the moon we sport and play. With the night begins our day...Thomas Ravenscroft
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly....me
Ē\ tā\n ē\ epì tâs - "Either [with] it [your shield], or on it"...Spartan Mothers to their sons
Mau Emerald Nile
Ashino Tsume roshi
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 1000
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Galactic Executive
My super power would be...: X-Ray Vision
My magical/paranormal name...: Durga Suta Putra
Zodiac:

remington wrote:
Maythen21 wrote:How about a few authors?

Starhawk. In my current collection I have at least four of her books. I highly reccomend reading Spiral Dance even if you aren't interested in her politics or feminism. For some advanced work check out The Pagan Book of Living and Dying, particularly if you work with the dead/dying or are a healer.

Buckland. Uncle Buck is a bit of a perv, but if you ignore some of his personal predilictions the material is sound. Start with Buckland's Complete Guide to Witchcraft. If you like his style check out his other work, particularly his guide to communicating with spirits, and books on candle magic.

Scott Cunningham. Pretty much it's all good. His guides for the solitary practitioner are indespensible. His guides for herbs, stones, and household magic should be in every library.

All three of these authors communicate in a fairly modern and easy to understand fashion. The material is presented in an approachable manner, and it is practical.

My advice is not to skip around. Most 101 books are written in the order presented for a reason. Skills learned early are built upon in later lessons. Diligence in study and dedication to the material are essential for deeper understanding. Feel free to dip in at random when using reference materials (like Cunningham's Guide to Herbs) but othewise view it as a workbook, or the text of a class.

I have reservations about some of her work, but Silver Raven Wolfs book Mindlight is a really fine primer on energy work when you've gotten past the 101 stage but aren't ready for advanced high magic text, or want to stick with "low" magic.

great books maythen i found all to be invaluable and all are in my personal library can i also throw anything by Dion fortune in to the suggestion pile

Dion Fortune, sadly, is overlooked too often. She was an amazing person, all her books are truly worthwhile, she started a breakaway group from the Golden Dawn, and some of her members are still alive (albeit aged)...5 years ago, I was lucky enough to buy her tri-metallic, black pentagonal crystal point wand. Whenever I use it, I can see the air in the room look sold, and then there is a huge rush of energy - all good.

C-

EarthGalactics online....
Leautremontmars Virtual Mall
Occult Metaphysical
Children of the Night Lugoss
tinkyberz
neophyte
neophyte
Spelled Number: 11
Your favorite spirit to work with: Kitsune and Faeries
If I could be anything, I would be...: Faeries
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Tinkyberz
Zodiac:

I have gotten these books at one go from amazon, phew pretty big shipment :D

Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells - Judika Illes
Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick) Scott Cunningham
Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick Series)- Scott Cunningham
Instant Magick: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Spellcraft- Christopher Penczak
The Goodly Spellbook: Olde Spells for Modern Problems - Dixie Deerman,Steve Rasmussen

Will slowly add on from what's recommended by you guys :thumbup: Thank you so much

*~*~ Jianyi Intl: Ancient arts of geomancy, divination, date selections, etc ~*~*
RoseCityTarot
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: N/A
If I could be anything, I would be...: Mermaid
My magical/paranormal name...: Zephyr
Zodiac:

"True Magick" by Amber K.

"The Witch's Familiar" by Raven Grimassi. From what I've come to see, Spirit Keeping seems to be another form of having a familiar around, so this book should be pretty relevant.

"The Witches' Craft" by Raven Grimassi

"The Inner Temple of Witchcraft" by Christopher Penczak. This book teaches things like grounding, centering, and Psychic defense. He has a lot of information in this book and I think it should be a helpful one.

"Vampire Universe" by Jonathan Maberry

"The Vampire Encyclopedia" by Matthew Bunson

"Monsters" by John Michael Greer. This is a book that any Spirit Keeper worth their salt should have on their bookshelves. It discusses vampires, faeries, demons, angels, ghosts, werewolves, merpeople, etc. I own it and it is very dog-eared!

"The Fairy Bible" by Teresa Moorey. It has a somewhat loose definition of what constitutes a fairy, but it's a good jumping-off point for anyone who plans to have faeries around.

"The Crystal Bible" (vol. 1-3), "101 Power Crystals", and anything by Judy Hall if you want to learn about crystals. I definitely recommend this as your spirits have certain crystals associated with them.

"The Secret Language of Fortune Telling" by Sarah Bartlett. I've seen people on here mention using certain divination tools to communicate with spirits. This is a good book to start with if you're not sure what tool to use or are otherwise inexperienced in divination.

"Your Psychic Self" by Melissa Alvarez. This is a good book for psychic development, which may be necessary for communicating with your spirits.

"Her Stories" by Virginia Hamilton. Though this is a collection of fables and folk tales, there is a spell in here for binding hags. If you're going the DA route, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If I think of anything more, I can come back and add them to the thread. I highly recommend the books on this list!

Do not injustice to another, defend the weak and innocent. Let truth and honor always guide you, let courage find a life within. Stand up when no one else is willing, act not in hatred or in spite. Be to this world as a perfect knight, even if it means your life.

My Spirit Family: Star Faery, Gargoyle, Water Faery, Galactic Being
Arriving Soon: Copper Dragon, Green Dragon, Fylgia, Faery of Light, Loch Ness
Revan
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 5
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity
Zodiac:

Great tips, everyone! I'll look for each of these books.

忠 = ­Loyalty / 義 = J­ustice / 誠 = Honesty­ / 礼 = Respect / 仁 = ­Virtue / 勇 = Courage / 名誉 = Honor

Follower of Amaterasu, Aphrodite, Athena, Inari and Ryujin.
RoseCityTarot
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: N/A
If I could be anything, I would be...: Mermaid
My magical/paranormal name...: Zephyr
Zodiac:

Excellent :) Another thing I should mention is that some stores that sell crystals will give you a little fact sheet on the crystals you buy. So if you ever head to a crystal store, see if they do this. There's two stores that I go to (one more-so than the other because I can just walk there) that both do it. I always say yes when they ask if I want one because the fact sheets usually tell you the crystal's properties.

Do not injustice to another, defend the weak and innocent. Let truth and honor always guide you, let courage find a life within. Stand up when no one else is willing, act not in hatred or in spite. Be to this world as a perfect knight, even if it means your life.

My Spirit Family: Star Faery, Gargoyle, Water Faery, Galactic Being
Arriving Soon: Copper Dragon, Green Dragon, Fylgia, Faery of Light, Loch Ness
kindred
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: angels
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

great thread