Is visualization a kind of meditation?

PrincessKnight
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Although I am quite good at visualizing, I am a complete disaster when it comes to meditation.
In fact, I think I really can't concentrate on breathing: instead of relaxing, the more I try the more my anxiety increases!
On the other hand, whenever I visualize an image or a story in my mind, I can concentrate quite well, I see the colors, sense the smells and tastes and feel the different textures of the materials, etc.
So I would like to know if visualization can be considered a form of meditation, and if I could use it in place of meditating.

Thyr
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 34
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demonic
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

To me visualization is not a form of meditation, because you are still active in your mind in a way, that might not be relaxing. But maybe it is for you.
Your anxiety kicking in when you're trying to meditate is not unusual. Meditation is aiming for a state of complete relaxation and that can trigger your anxiety, because it feels like letting go and losing control. So practicing something that is relaxing, but does not feel like losing control can be as effective. In fact a lot of activities are considered as kind of meditation, like knitting or drawing. Don't stress yourself, just find what helps you to calm your mind.

¤ ωε nεvεr ωαlk αlonε ¤
cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 3

Depending on how loosely you use "mediation" maybe. Guided meditations exist, but they're not the same as the breathing and clearing your mind sort.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

PrincessKnight wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:45 am Although I am quite good at visualizing, I am a complete disaster when it comes to meditation.
In fact, I think I really can't concentrate on breathing: instead of relaxing, the more I try the more my anxiety increases!
On the other hand, whenever I visualize an image or a story in my mind, I can concentrate quite well, I see the colors, sense the smells and tastes and feel the different textures of the materials, etc.
So I would like to know if visualization can be considered a form of meditation, and if I could use it in place of meditating.
This probably falls into the realm of philosophical perspectives. People will have different ideas about what meditation is but there's no right or wrong one.

It has been said that everyone is meditating all the time. It's just what your awareness is on. If you're watching TV, you're meditating on the programme that's on. If you're looking at the sky, you're meditating on that. If you're caught up in your thoughts, that's your meditation.

...If you're visualising...that's what your attention is on. So, yes, it's a kind of meditation. The posture and technique are merely the form of the practice. It's really all about what's happening to your awareness.

When you use a 'meditation' technique it holds your attention. Those techniques are designed to achieve certain effects, like peace and calm. For example, mantra - using one thought to stop a thousand. The basic aim of many meditation techniques is to help the mind to find stillness and/or have a spiritual experience.

I wonder if a version of zen or mindfulness meditation might help people who feel they can't 'meditate'. A watching your thoughts meditation, instead of watching your breath one maybe. It can also help to think of meditation as something you do (you put the time in) rather than something you succeed or fail at.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
PrincessKnight
neophyte
neophyte
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Ilinga,Cairngorn and Lewk, many thanks for your very kind replies and info! <3
I agree, I think I have to find a kind of meditation suitable for me. I will do some research in the internet and keep you updated ;)

Return to “General Questions”