Opelia Rendon
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 75
Your favorite spirit to work with: Sterling Angel
If I could be anything, I would be...: A mage!
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Re: System of Magic

Postby Opelia Rendon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:32 am

doom_star898 wrote:Christopher Penzack for wiccan related magick

Jason Miller for a more secular type of magick, though he does work with Hecate

Gordon White, Phil Hine, Peter J Carroll, and Taylor Ellwood for chaos and pop culture magick

Judika Illes for traditional magick

Over the years I have read a lit of authors but these particular authors I have taken away useful knowledge from and so would recommend them. I didn't really put authors like Alistair Crowley, Dion Fortune, Mathers, Blavasky, etc bc unless you have a pressing need to learn ceremonial magicks or Theospical teachings they can be dry reading.

I almost forgot to say thanks, thanks ^ ^

Charles_Odinforce
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 18
Your favorite spirit to work with: Aesir
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: Thorian

Postby Charles_Odinforce » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:42 am

My first recommendations are always 2 things. #1) Read the Kybalion over a couple times. It's one of the core texts that has influenced modern magick. #2) Focus on energy strengthening arts like QiGong, Kundalini Yoga, Chakra Balancing, or even psychic energy. Old school methodology really was focused around "do this thing because we said so and it will work" and it worked great.... if you existed in the paradigm of that time. In the modern world we focus on an explanation paradigm, where we explain a system along with how we think it works. The difference is drastic and the result is that the modern systems have evolved primarily into systems that rely on a mix of traditional rituals and symbols alongside both Eastern and modern energy work. By looking into these fields, as well as The New Thought movement the beginner gains a good grounded education in the core of the systems.

I know someone said Crowley was dry reading, and I can't agree enough with that. That said eventually you will want to read some of his work to see how he incorporated energy into ritual and brought concepts like Yoga into these systems so that we would develop what is around today. I feel with some certainty that Magick would not be what it is today without his contribution, but what he wrote was NOT for the beginner.

Hopeful that was helpful!

Professional Mystic at
http://www.rosequartzlabyrinth.com

"Power unrestrained dead on the mark is what we will deliver tonight!" - Disturbed Ten Thousand Fists in the Air

Opelia Rendon
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 75
Your favorite spirit to work with: Sterling Angel
If I could be anything, I would be...: A mage!
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Postby Opelia Rendon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:30 am

Charles_Odinforce wrote:My first recommendations are always 2 things. #1) Read the Kybalion over a couple times. It's one of the core texts that has influenced modern magick. #2) Focus on energy strengthening arts like QiGong, Kundalini Yoga, Chakra Balancing, or even psychic energy. Old school methodology really was focused around "do this thing because we said so and it will work" and it worked great.... if you existed in the paradigm of that time. In the modern world we focus on an explanation paradigm, where we explain a system along with how we think it works. The difference is drastic and the result is that the modern systems have evolved primarily into systems that rely on a mix of traditional rituals and symbols alongside both Eastern and modern energy work. By looking into these fields, as well as The New Thought movement the beginner gains a good grounded education in the core of the systems.

I know someone said Crowley was dry reading, and I can't agree enough with that. That said eventually you will want to read some of his work to see how he incorporated energy into ritual and brought concepts like Yoga into these systems so that we would develop what is around today. I feel with some certainty that Magick would not be what it is today without his contribution, but what he wrote was NOT for the beginner.

Every thing was helpful! Thanks a million. : )

doom_star898
neophyte
neophyte
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Postby doom_star898 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Charles_Odinforce wrote:My first recommendations are always 2 things. #1) Read the Kybalion over a couple times. It's one of the core texts that has influenced modern magick. #2) Focus on energy strengthening arts like QiGong, Kundalini Yoga, Chakra Balancing, or even psychic energy. Old school methodology really was focused around "do this thing because we said so and it will work" and it worked great.... if you existed in the paradigm of that time. In the modern world we focus on an explanation paradigm, where we explain a system along with how we think it works. The difference is drastic and the result is that the modern systems have evolved primarily into systems that rely on a mix of traditional rituals and symbols alongside both Eastern and modern energy work. By looking into these fields, as well as The New Thought movement the beginner gains a good grounded education in the core of the systems.

For the second suggestion who do you recommend? I've read quite a few works on energy systems but most of then have been new thought authors. I haven't touched a lot of the gurus yet.

I figure that many of the old school writers like Crowley would put some less adventurous newbies off because they can be difficult to wade through for those less determined. Personally I started with Don milo Duquette who explained those teaching with a touch of humorous aside and then dived into the originals. I still need to read some if them bc it is interesting it just does my brain in some.

Charles_Odinforce
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 18
Your favorite spirit to work with: Aesir
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Laser-beam eyes
My magical/paranormal name...: Thorian

Postby Charles_Odinforce » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:26 pm

For the energy systems I don't recommend a specific author. The Celestine Prophecy is both good and bad, having a bit too much dogma, but having good principled techniques. A student of mine once recommended Robert Bruce's Energy Work though as "the closest thing in print to what we were studying" a few years back. A lot can be gained by a quick youtube search for QiGong as there are MANY free courses on it, as well as a few free study websites online. As QiGong is a good foundation I tend to recommend it in conjunction with other systems.

Crowley's read was as dry as the desert after a hundred years without rain. That said, sand can become glass and glass can be beautiful, so what he had was great material in a way, just not easily worked with at first.

Professional Mystic at
http://www.rosequartzlabyrinth.com

"Power unrestrained dead on the mark is what we will deliver tonight!" - Disturbed Ten Thousand Fists in the Air

Return to “Spells/Spellwork”