Advice about family with contradictory views

Nightrunner404
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Male/Female: It's a Secret

So I do not discuss my spirituality with my family members. I am very happy with where I am in my journey of spirituality, however my family comes from old school southern megachurch kind of Christianity. If that works for you great, but its not my cup of tea.

I typically avoid spiritual or religion based conversations with family because any sort of deviation from the "truth" is met with scorn, whether its scientific in origin or otherwise. I am a very open minded individual and always listen to all sides and make my own conclusions for myself in everything from science to food to the spiritual.

In the beginning it really bothered me that they would constantly throw the threat of "going to hell" around in these situations. Or how the bible says this against that or blah blah blah. Even though I have no fear of "going to hell" any longer it still makes me feel kind of shunned when they throw these comments around, especially since they have no idea I am involved in many of the things that are so "evil". I know some of you on this forum come from similar backgrounds or have similar situations, how do you deal with this kind of feeling if you do?

I currently do not conform to any specific religious views at this point and I am happy with the fact that I have experienced spiritual events and know those exist. Not looking for a religious debate just any advice for dealing with those close to you that basically despise you without even knowing they do.

Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

I don't come from a family like this but I understand how that environment would be troubling. After some time you have to just come to develop a sense of humor about it. That is, if you want to continue your relationship with them as it is now. Maybe even with a side of compassion, because they are living their lives in fear of what happens after death - that is a sad way to live and ultimately fuels their intolerance.

If you however need closure about whether you are any sort of exception to their religious vitriol, you need to confront them with how you really feel and see what happens.

Pretending to be a family when there's a clear divide is not healthy at all. I know people do it all of the time because 'family' but if it is draining you more than it is providing benefit to your life, then you can and should set boundaries. It's not your family if they don't accept you, but you can't know unless you are honest with them, and if you don't feel you can put yourself in that position (it does unfortunately sound pretty black & white) - what is left? Whatever is left, decide if it is worth returning to and let your care/concern be limited to that.

There's very likely someone, probably multiple in your family who do not practice what they preach and are simply keeping up appearances with the religious facade, if it makes you feel any better. Therefore someone in there who wouldn't really believe deep down that you're going to Hell, but the issue is they may never admit it.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
Nightrunner404
neophyte
neophyte

Thank you for your thoughts on this Vipera. As I have a good relationship with them otherwise I don't really foresee myself removing them from my life as 95% of the time it isn't an issue.

You mention it being a sad way to live and I think that what bothers me more than even the negative things they can say, is that I see them so stuck in a box of their own making. Its equally frustrating because my mother has a high degree of clairempathy and acknowledges it as a gift but keeps it in that same box her other beliefs are in. The last time I teased the idea of spirituality into a conversation it got immediately shut down with stories of ouji board usage and evil things from before I was born. So I really think for her it comes from a place of fear from the fire and brimstone upbringing and a bad experience with something in the past.

It doesn't make anything easier that I have definitely inherited the clairempathy trait. Having only learned about what it actually was this past year, it has explained so much about my life experiences up to this point. But it makes some of those discussions much more intense when they do happen.

And I think I have answered my own question to some extent with this post, where I think the sense of dread I feel in these conversations isn't necessarily my own but theirs as they let their own fears take control of their emotions in these conversations.

Redstarbright
new here
new here
You are...: experienced
Your favorite spirit to work with: All

Hi I'm sorry to see this is your situation. I fully understand being brought up Irish Catholic. I was always aware there was more to the world, since a small child. Like yourself I held back, on account of not upsetting my family. As I grew up, and started to accept this is my path. My views experience's my calling. Was paramount to my happiness. Just as valid important as there's. My confidence grew. I started putting myself first. Holding it in holding it all in. Was causing myself to become ill with the stress. As family they needed to see, and accept my path. In time I broke down those doors. To the point they started to become aware. Started to understand and accept my path. The advice I would give you. Be true to yourself never hide who you are. In time thing's will lift for you. Maybe right now is not the right moment. But as you grow in your own confidence you will accept that the people who love and value you, will grow with you. Don't hide away good luck 🤞

ASTER
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: 👼🏻🐲🧚🧝🏻‍♀️🧙‍♂️🧛🧞‍♂️
If I could be anything, I would be...: Celestial
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Aster 🌟 Jupiter

I am a Christian and a spirit keeper. My lifestyle is not to share much at all with strengers. And especially keep my mystical lifestyle to myself when my family is around. People usually looking at people like they are weardos if it's comes to ghost and spirits regardless of religion. It's a stumbling block to many people, so I shield myself with silence. Nobodies business anyway how I wish to live my spiritual side. I love my God btw, and I pray daily.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Not minimising the scale of what you mentioned at all...but... I guess this dilemma is one most of us spirit keepers have, to varying degrees.

In my life, I was born into a typical old style Catholic family in the early 1950s. I made the break aged 19, when I dropped out and joined the hippy counterculture - which was a shock for all my relatives - then left the world behind to follow a guru and live in an ashram. Even after decades, I've only felt able to give brief hints of my spirituality to both family & friends. They know I do Tai Chi, Chi Kung & other stuff.

I think they genuinely can't take anything more. Like many people in the world, they lack understanding. They don't have an adequate conceptual basis onto which they can map the kind of ideas I'd be bringing up. They'll revert to the stock responses of 'evil' (Christianity) or superstition (atheism/scientism).

I meet very few people who can keep up in a conversation about alternative spirituality. So it's usually just not worth even mentioning it. If a conversation goes that way, I'll risk explaining what I think about magic or spirits, which of course is rare.

It's a shame because it feels like being part of an unseen minority who can't really come out about who they are, as we're likely to face intolerant or discriminatory comments.

On the bright side, at least I live in a country whose laws respect the right to freedom of belief and the right to change beliefs. Not everyone does.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Nightrunner404
neophyte
neophyte

Thank you Redstarbright, Aster and Lewk for sharing your experiences. I figured others had some similar experiences since it is a rather small field of belief/study in the grand scheme of the world. It is reassuring to know others understand it, albeit sadly considering we do have to shield ourselves with silence as Aster very correctly phrased it. And same as Lewk I am glad I live in a country with the freedom to choose those beliefs even if they are unspoken.

Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 198
Spelled Number: 470
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

Nightrunner404 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:54 am So I do not discuss my spirituality with my family members. I am very happy with where I am in my journey of spirituality, however my family comes from old school southern megachurch kind of Christianity. If that works for you great, but its not my cup of tea.

I typically avoid spiritual or religion based conversations with family because any sort of deviation from the "truth" is met with scorn, whether its scientific in origin or otherwise. I am a very open minded individual and always listen to all sides and make my own conclusions for myself in everything from science to food to the spiritual.

In the beginning it really bothered me that they would constantly throw the threat of "going to hell" around in these situations. Or how the bible says this against that or blah blah blah. Even though I have no fear of "going to hell" any longer it still makes me feel kind of shunned when they throw these comments around, especially since they have no idea I am involved in many of the things that are so "evil". I know some of you on this forum come from similar backgrounds or have similar situations, how do you deal with this kind of feeling if you do?

I currently do not conform to any specific religious views at this point and I am happy with the fact that I have experienced spiritual events and know those exist. Not looking for a religious debate just any advice for dealing with those close to you that basically despise you without even knowing they do.
You may not realize it, but you're ignoring the truth by claiming that this issue doesn't affect you. However, I don't mean to criticize you. I just believe that some self-reflection would bring you inner peace.

It's important to understand that sharing and caring doesn't always mean that everyone will have the same perspective. You shouldn't try to change their views. You mentioned that they're trapped in their own viewpoint, but the same can be said for you. Again, this is not meant to be negative. It simply means that two people's perspectives can be completely different and there's nothing you can do about it.

Many religious teachings aim to guide people away from certain things for their own safety. Let's consider a reverse psychology example. If you didn't have the spirits you currently communicate with and no protection, you would be exposed to potential danger when trying out the ouija board. Those dangers could be unleashed by unbound entities. A lot could go wrong. Furthermore, you would also never have embarked on this spiritual path because most of your resources would be spent on trying to eliminate the negative consequences of communicating through the ouija board, and got some nasty unbound.

In my opinion, a lot of the time, we become so fixated on our own perspectives that we fail to truly understand where others are coming from. When you feel shunned, it often stems from being misunderstood. Your family probably feels the same way when discussing spirituality with you. Ultimately, it's not your responsibility to change someone's mind about something, so don't take it personally.

I can confidently say that I am very open-minded when it comes to different views and religions. On the other hand, my family is extremely devoted and religious. Both my aunts are leaders in their religious communities/buildings and have traveled globally to raise awareness. Interestingly, I follow Buddhism, although some individuals, even on this very forum, don't consider it a religion. However, I have no issue with that. It's not my responsibility to change their perspective. I simply find it interesting that they are engaging in practices that Buddhists have been doing for centuries, such as burning incense and making offerings, etc. However, their choices don't hinder my own beliefs and practices. In fact, I occasionally attend church to learn more about Christianity and I respect all religious deities equally, including Buddha. Although I may not be very knowledgeable about Christianity, I still treat it with the same respect.

Within my family, we often discuss and analyze our dreams, trying to understand their meanings. This has led me to become interested in dream interpretation. We also talk about our experiences with the spiritual realm and how we sometimes feel the presence of our ancestors during certain times of the year. My family is quite spiritual, although their understanding of Hell may differ from others', including mine. However, everyone has their own interpretation of such things. I am always open to discussing various topics, except for Spirit Keeping, as I prefer not to discuss it with anyone but my parents, since my entities have also visited them. Lol. I'm certain they would find out about it anyway, as my mom has been dreaming about my dragon and angel. Haha.

In the name of the moon, I'll enlighten you!
Daciana
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Just Me 😊
Zodiac:

I feel for you ❤️
My past has been filled with some similar relationships. As a child I had no choice but to put up with it. I have had my life and my sexual safety violated while being told "it's God's will I'm cleansing your soul, lie still demon." I've had decades of therapy because of it.

In less extreme situations I was the one remaining quiet, allowing others to have their views and speak their beliefs, while they took every chance they had to pummel me with theirs. That is not balanced. Some people really can be very aggressive about their beliefs and it's hard to truly know what it's like until you are on the receiving end of it.

Having a point of view and personal belief is one thing..but when it starts to become disrespectful it is a boundary. You can feel when it is disrespectful , when they constantly direct comments at you with negativity attached to it. Constantly attempting to make you feel bad for your beliefs, constantly asserting how they believe that your belief is wrong and theirs is right. It has a condescending feel to it. It no longer is a relationship of mutual respect, instead an abusive one. And yes verbal , emotional and mental abuse is a real thing, regardless of the personal beliefs.
How many times of reminding us the same thing over and over again until they realize we get what they are saying? They say it over and over again for a reason and its not for your happiness.

I have plenty of friends and family members who are a mix of spiritual and religious. Everyone knows everyone's beliefs. We shared it already and everyone understands. We don't need constant reminding and rubbing faces in stuff, Because we respect each other's beliefs. What this means is despite us having different beliefs we don't feel that ours is better than theirs. We value them as a person and we want them to be happy. We know when spiteful and passive aggressive comments hurts others, and we are conscious enough to be kind with our words. They don't have to make offerings to the dead with me if they don't want to, and I don't have to pray at church with them. And no one is punished for it.
But on holidays, I get them gifts I know they like, like a cross necklace.. and they get me candles and crystals.

So. In my opinion it's not about the beliefs. It's about respect.
All relationships take work, and ones who have vastly different beliefs/views will take more effort for respectful boundaries. Having boundaries is healthy regardless of belief.

Some of my religious friends are open enough to have discussions with me, and by the end of it we are happy with no hurt feelings because it's just a discussion, not a lecture.
I have even asked a good friend of mine to share his favorite part of his Bible with me, and he asked me to share something that was a favorite of mine. This is not some remarkable otherworldly miracle. It's just common human decency to love a person unconditionally. If a relationship cannot find balance like this after tremendous work on my part to meet halfway, I move on.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
𝕯𝖆𝖈𝖎𝖆𝖓𝖆
Adair Lasair Bán
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Spelled Number: 60
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angelics & Immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Sysygy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:20 pm I feel for you ❤️
My past has been filled with some similar relationships. As a child I had no choice but to put up with it. I have had my life and my sexual safety violated while being told "it's God's will I'm cleansing your soul, lie still demon." I've had decades of therapy because of it.

In less extreme situations I was the one remaining quiet, allowing others to have their views and speak their beliefs, while they took every chance they had to pummel me with theirs. That is not balanced. Some people really can be very aggressive about their beliefs and it's hard to truly know what it's like until you are on the receiving end of it.

Having a point of view and personal belief is one thing..but when it starts to become disrespectful it is a boundary. You can feel when it is disrespectful , when they constantly direct comments at you with negativity attached to it. Constantly attempting to make you feel bad for your beliefs, constantly asserting how they believe that your belief is wrong and theirs is right. It has a condescending feel to it. It no longer is a relationship of mutual respect, instead an abusive one. And yes verbal , emotional and mental abuse is a real thing, regardless of the personal beliefs.
How many times of reminding us the same thing over and over again until they realize we get what they are saying? They say it over and over again for a reason and its not for your happiness.

I have plenty of friends and family members who are a mix of spiritual and religious. Everyone knows everyone's beliefs. We shared it already and everyone understands. We don't need constant reminding and rubbing faces in stuff, Because we respect each other's beliefs. What this means is despite us having different beliefs we don't feel that ours is better than theirs. We value them as a person and we want them to be happy. We know when spiteful and passive aggressive comments hurts others, and we are conscious enough to be kind with our words. They don't have to make offerings to the dead with me if they don't want to, and I don't have to pray at church with them. And no one is punished for it.
But on holidays, I get them gifts I know they like, like a cross necklace.. and they get me candles and crystals.

So. In my opinion it's not about the beliefs. It's about respect.
All relationships take work, and ones who have vastly different beliefs/views will take more effort for respectful boundaries. Having boundaries is healthy regardless of belief.

Some of my religious friends are open enough to have discussions with me, and by the end of it we are happy with no hurt feelings because it's just a discussion, not a lecture.
I have even asked a good friend of mine to share his favorite part of his Bible with me, and he asked me to share something that was a favorite of mine. This is not some remarkable otherworldly miracle. It's just common human decency to love a person unconditionally. If a relationship cannot find balance like this after tremendous work on my part to meet halfway, I move on.
I agree Sysygy, it's about respect.

Also just want to say, you are an amazing and strong woman, and I really do respect you a lot <3

May the guilty individuals who did that to you end up in the most vile and torture filled parts of the afterlife forever. My heart breaks and rages at the same time.

“May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Return to “General Questions”