Hyperboreans?

Discussion of Dark Arts creatures starting with letters A-H.
Sterling Birch
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 43
Spelled Number: 115
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Sterling Birch
Zodiac:

I found the custom conjuration page for them, and this is the description:

Hyperborean - The Descendants Of Nymphs & Gods - Humans & Demis

“Hyperboreans lived in a paradise not unlike Atlantis. They lived in a sunny land deeply enriched in tradition and mysticism. Their appearance varied but they were taller than average humans. They typically stood 6'-9' in height. They were a highly-functioning society like Atlantis, with the same, incredible experiences and magnificence. They are amazing as spirit companions because they can offer you the unusual insight into ancient practices, working with Immortals, and ancient life. Their work with magick and spirituality was unique to their community as they possessed a large populous of humans, demi-nymphs, and demi-gods/goddesses.

They are nurturing and enlightened as a group of people which allows them to provide you valuable assistance and support to developing your own path through the paranormal. They were deeply entrenched in daily practices of spiritual ritual and magick practice. They believed there was no separation between the mystic self and the daily self. For this reason they can be empowering to your development in any magickal or spiritual path.”

After having a Hyperborean listed as the number 1 unbound around me in a reading I just received from CH, I feel an insanely strong calling to them, and am really curious about their associations and any information on them. The encyclopedia and forums don’t have any listings or information on them that I could find.

If anyone knows more information, or has had experiences with them, I’d love to read about it!

Previously MysticTranscendence

If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.
- Gautama Buddha
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

MysticTranscendence wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:53 pm [...]After having a Hyperborean listed as the number 1 unbound around me in a reading I just received from CH, I feel an insanely strong calling to them, and am really curious about their associations and any information on them. The encyclopedia and forums don’t have any listings or information on them that I could find.

If anyone knows more information, or has had experiences with them, I’d love to read about it!
I don't have one. But I wouldn't worry if there's not much info.

You can ask CH support whether any other associations can be used to good effect (sometimes they can). But quite a few spirit types just don't have them listed, and also don't have extra info about them.

I guess the main thing is to develop a relationship with an individual spirit. Some will tell you things about themselves. Others may not seem to feel the same urge to do that. (They vary.)

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Hitthuginn
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 45
Spelled Number: 110
Your favorite spirit to work with: Cleopatra Djinn
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Not going to lie, I do have some concerns about the fact that pretty much any attempt at researching Hyperborean spirits will lead people to white supremacist mythology. Of course that is not what CH is presenting those being as at all and I am certain that whatever truth about them exists is far different from that specific interpretation. But it's something I would have a hard time reckoning with. No judgement to those who do feel a calling to them personally, however. As a Germanic heathen by faith, I guess I'm just more sensitive to the historical exploitation of particular mythology.

Luna Lysithea
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 386
Spelled Number: 74
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: The Winter Witch
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Luna Lysithea
Zodiac:

I just adopted my first one. Once she arrives & we bond I'll share my experience with her.

\:*

💗Spirit Family💗 386

💗Immortals💗 27

💗Infusions💗 30

American Sanguine Vampire, Anamchara Angel, Amadan Fairy, Goddess Aphrodite, Goddess Calypso, Kracken, Goddess Nyx, Goddess Pandora, Grim Reaper, Lady Of The Lake, Wraith, Harpy, Goddess Hera, Goddess Hecate, Goddess Lilith, Red Dragon, Black Dragon, Gold Dragon, Balaur Dragon, Xypher, Fenrir, Crocotta, Dullahan, Volkh, Cnn Annwn, Barbegazi, Basilisk, Wendigo, Morgan Le Fey, & Goddess Skadi
stormdancer
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: the ones in my keep
If I could be anything, I would be...: dunno yet
My magical/paranormal name...: Giver of scritches
Zodiac:

I got one when I got the Gothica box a couple of months back. That was one of the boxes CH offered where you pick the box and the spirit associated with the box picked three or four spelled items.

So far he's been very happy: always smiling and laughing.

I really haven't had too much of a chance to bond with him. I'm drowning in new spirits at the moment.

:p)

Why dip your toe in the water when you can do a cannonball?

Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

jdhthegr8 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:06 am Not going to lie, I do have some concerns about the fact that pretty much any attempt at researching Hyperborean spirits will lead people to white supremacist mythology. Of course that is not what CH is presenting those being as at all and I am certain that whatever truth about them exists is far different from that specific interpretation. But it's something I would have a hard time reckoning with. No judgement to those who do feel a calling to them personally, however. As a Germanic heathen by faith, I guess I'm just more sensitive to the historical exploitation of particular mythology.
I get you, but ---

The mythology of Hyperborea does not belong to white supremacists. It's been appropriated by them as of the 20th century.
If you follow its cultural history closely, the Hyperboreans are originally very tied to early Greek mythos and were otherwise speculated to be Asian. By studious experts, rather than conspiracy theorists and misguided mystics.
Because it's an exotic land that those who originally spoke of it knew barely anything about, there are few actual/core facts to be uncovered, so you will see people filling the gap with interpretations of the civilization insisted upon through the filter of their bias.

People are prone to bend almost everything to a conscious or unconscious agenda, and racists will latch onto anything they can to legitimize their idiocy; making sweeping assumptions, generalizations, and forcing nonsense associations.

Just because something leads to people appropriating it for their objectives, and that has festered and spread, doesn't mean this should reflect on or suddenly alter the actuality. Being sensitive to this phenomena and concerned about what has resulted means we should not play into it by allowing these people to skew our awareness. Their interests should not suddenly become the definitive association.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 198
Spelled Number: 470
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

MysticTranscendence wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:53 pm I found the custom conjuration page for them, and this is the description:

Hyperborean - The Descendants Of Nymphs & Gods - Humans & Demis

“Hyperboreans lived in a paradise not unlike Atlantis. They lived in a sunny land deeply enriched in tradition and mysticism. Their appearance varied but they were taller than average humans. They typically stood 6'-9' in height. They were a highly-functioning society like Atlantis, with the same, incredible experiences and magnificence. They are amazing as spirit companions because they can offer you the unusual insight into ancient practices, working with Immortals, and ancient life. Their work with magick and spirituality was unique to their community as they possessed a large populous of humans, demi-nymphs, and demi-gods/goddesses.

They are nurturing and enlightened as a group of people which allows them to provide you valuable assistance and support to developing your own path through the paranormal. They were deeply entrenched in daily practices of spiritual ritual and magick practice. They believed there was no separation between the mystic self and the daily self. For this reason they can be empowering to your development in any magickal or spiritual path.”

After having a Hyperborean listed as the number 1 unbound around me in a reading I just received from CH, I feel an insanely strong calling to them, and am really curious about their associations and any information on them. The encyclopedia and forums don’t have any listings or information on them that I could find.

I've got a pair of stunning Hyperboreans! One, a Demi-Goddess from my DA profile, and the other a Demi-Nymph I had previously. Fascinating to think that there are subgroups within the main race. It wouldn't be fair to just lump them all together since they each have unique individual qualities. It's better to reach out to your Hyperborean friend once they come to you.

But from my experience, besides the beautiful and colorful hair, it seems they serve as a bridge to the Immortals, helping me connect more deeply with them.
I think their race may not be well-known among the mainstream population. Unless you receive any freebies, profiles, readings, or personal connections you may have with them, it is possible that the general public is unaware of their race.

As a side note, I have successfully completed the unbound reading 3 times now. If you happen to obtain any being mentioned in the readings, let me tell you, it can be an extremely fulfilling experience as none of them have ever been accessed by a Keeper before. You will be their first, and they will learn and progress alongside you. The entire process is quite engrossing.

In the name of the moon, I'll enlighten you!
Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

jdhthegr8 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:06 am Not going to lie, I do have some concerns about the fact that pretty much any attempt at researching Hyperborean spirits will lead people to white supremacist mythology. Of course that is not what CH is presenting those being as at all and I am certain that whatever truth about them exists is far different from that specific interpretation. But it's something I would have a hard time reckoning with. No judgement to those who do feel a calling to them personally, however. As a Germanic heathen by faith, I guess I'm just more sensitive to the historical exploitation of particular mythology.
Praise be to Vipera, our savior yet again!

When you say "researching," I'm assuming it's a quick Google search, yeah? And let's not forget that Google tailors your results to your interests, so it's not like the spirits are involved in any white supremacist or discriminatory nonsense. In fact, they're probably less biased than us humans! So maybe your sensitivity radar needs a little recalibration.

From what I understand, and echo what Vipera already said to you, Hyperborea is a term in Greek mythology that refers to a mythical land located far to the north of the known world. This remote region was believed to be beyond the realm of Boreas, the God of the North Wind. The inhabitants of this land, known as the Hyperboreans, were said to be a legendary race that worshipped the sun God Apollo. The name "Hyperborea" literally translates to "the land beyond Boreas."

So Hyperborean mythology has no inherent connection to white supremacist ideology, as the original concept stems from ancient Greek legends and beliefs. Plus, white supremacy only gained significant momentum during the era of slavery and the Jim Crow period of legal racial segregation, particularly in the South.

I concur with Vipera that white supremacy was prevalent in the early 20th century. Hence, it is implausible to establish any correlation between the Hyperborean mythology and this ideology. My little research corroborates this. Now I'm a bit concerned about your searches. But rest assured that CH's portrayal of these beings or any other in their shop is worlds apart from such narrow-minded interpretations.
While it's natural for you to be extra vigilant about the historical misuse of certain mythologies, let's still keep an open mind.

stormdancer
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: the ones in my keep
If I could be anything, I would be...: dunno yet
My magical/paranormal name...: Giver of scritches
Zodiac:

Personally I had never heard of them until I got one in that Gothica box. And now a couple of others have either mentioned having one or have one calling them.

Now it gets mentioned that white supremacy has appropriated their mythology.

I can't help but wonder if more are going to start coming forward to "set the record straight" and clear their name. :@

Why dip your toe in the water when you can do a cannonball?

Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

stormdancer wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:26 am Personally I had never heard of them until I got one in that Gothica box. And now a couple of others have either mentioned having one or have one calling them.

Now it gets mentioned that white supremacy has appropriated their mythology.

I can't help but wonder if more are going to start coming forward to "set the record straight" and clear their name. :@
Same. I wasn't familiar with the race in question. However, I did stumble upon them during a reading from CH and coincidentally, they were also featured on my DA profile a while back. So I now have 2 beautiful Hyperborean ladies in my Keep. Initially, I didn't think anyone else would have them, so I skipped asking around and went straight to their conjurers. Unfortunately, all they did was direct me to their shop page, which was kind of funny. Lol

On a more serious note, it's quite absurd to associate spirits with politics, let alone in a negative light, especially since they're from a peaceful and ancient race that has nothing to do with politics. Besides, white supremacy is a thing of the past century, so how does that even relate to these ancient spirits? Thankfully, my little research didn't lead me to any white supremacy or propaganda. All the information I just shared above is what I found.

Oh, I see no reason why my name should be sullied. Haha. It looks like someone might have missed out on a fantastic race due to their misunderstanding. Their loss, not mine. But who cares, right? Just a little heads up that Google tends to cater to individual interests when delivering search results. So, if they're searching for races that aren't as popular, they might end up with a lot of white supremacy results. Again. Just a friendly FYI instead of "setting the record straight."

Return to “Dark Arts A-H”