Necronomicon - Real or Fake?

Do you know a good book that can help someone on their path? Or, are you looking for a certain type of book?

Is the Necronomicon real?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 43
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

This book comes up in various conversations and depending on whom you are talking depends on whether or not they are quoting it as a source of material or a source of fantasy. What are your thoughts on Lovecraft's literary source the "Necronomicon"? Do you believe it was a real book or do you believe it was Lovecraft's creativity?

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
mrblonde
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

From what I've read, and my information is rather limited here, the Necronomicon was completely Lovecraft's invention. I think it's one of those myth's that gained it's own momentum, and there were a bunch of people making fake Necronomicons around that time, which I'm sure helped the myth gain credence. In fact there are books out there going by the same name, which is supposed to be a book of black magick. I think it's using the same name to boost sales, and I don't know if the magick in there is the real deal or not, and not brave (or stupid) enough to even think about finding out. I'm glad this came up though, me and my wife were discussing this just last week.

Order
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself of course.
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

From what I've read about other people performing the magick in the Simon Necronomicon, the magick is indeed real. But, it may not work for you if your not prepared. I have the book myself, a really nice anniversary addition, but I don't plan on performing anything in it until Im much more experienced. :pirate2:

אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה
FeyLady
neophyte
neophyte

One of my favorite subjects...

One thing that adds to the confusion is there's several different books titled "The Necronomicon." Some are more fictional than others.

The Simon Necronomicon seems to be the most "real" in the sense that the deity forms in the book date back to ancient Sumer. For example: Marduk, Inanna, Shamash, Enlil, Enki, Anu etc... all are very real in the historical sense. Also, The Maqlu text mentioned in The Simon Necronomicon, is a very real ancient text that can be found elsewhere in archeological records. Even if the book is a re-imagining of what a system working with these immortals would be like... it's a darn good system I think even if it was perhaps created rather than found.

From my research Lovecraft's "Cthulhu" is definitely fictional, he relates to no actual known Sumerian god. The Simon Necronomicon doesn't mention Cthulhu I don't believe except to say that the name only comes up in Lovecraft's writings.

The best source I've ever found for information on this subject is here:
http://warlockasylum.wordpress.com/disc ... ean-magic/

Best wishes!
FeyLady

Spirit of the Earth, remember
Spirit of the Sky, remember
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very good point Fey, I should have pointed out that I was referencing Lovecraft's Necronomicon which is supposedly a book dedicated to those who are devoted to Cthulhu Mythos. He refers to it both as an Arabic & Greek book. He also called it "The Book of the Dead", "The Book of Dead Laws", "Image of the Law of the Dead", "Law of the Dead Images", "Book of Dead Names" and "Book of the Laws of the Dead". It is puported to be an 800-page book written in 730AD by Arab Abdul Alhazred and is supposed to be a book of many short stories related to the Cthulhu who originally enslaved the human race. He says the Cthulhu are the "Old Ones" or "Great Old Ones" whose described appearance resembles that of many Catholic renditions of a demon's appearance.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
FeyLady
neophyte
neophyte

Oh I see Magnolia...

To clarify my vote then;

Lovecraft's literary source in a sense was real Chaldean/Sumerian mythology, but he added a great deal of elaboration and creativity to it. As far as the authenticity of Arab Abdul Alhazred... if you believe "Simon" is telling the whole truth of how he once had access to a pre-Lovecraft Necronomicon that had to be translated from demotic Greek, then probably Arab Abdul Alhazred was the real author of an ancient text, although his name may have changed as it was handed down over the centuries. Since "Simon" says he lost access to the old book he translated from, it unfortunately can't be examined for authenticity. How the book came into and out of his hands is a long story that he tells in his later book "The Dead Names, The Dark History of the Necronomicon" which is a fascinating read.

I found this on wiki:
A crucial difficulty with the Necronomicon's authenticity is the question of how Lovecraft would have learned about the book before 1921, and why he would have maintained that he invented it. Some proponents, such as Kenneth Grant, assert that Lovecraft was an unconscious medium who learned about a real book in his dreams, or cite possible links between Lovecraft and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (or other magical orders).
Interesting...

Incidentally, for anyone who doesn't know, (I didn't for a long time) Lovecraft had a great imagination and talent for writing horror and was a big influence on modern writers like Stephen King. :computer: :D

Best wishes!
FeyLady

phillip666
new here
new here
My magical/paranormal name...: Raziel
Zodiac:

I believe the Necronomicon is the ''Book of the Dead'' from the ancient egypt culture.

Everything that exists imagined itself into existence.
FeyLady
neophyte
neophyte

Oh one more thing, as far as "The Old Ones" they do come up in the old texts. Although not by that word Cthulhu although I think Simon postulates at one point that it's a "combined" word... that the syllables Cth-ul-hu (if I remember right) may relate to older words of Sumerian derivation. The old texts do describe The Old Ones much as Lovecraft did I think. I'd look it up but I don't have my reference handy (traveling).

Best wishes!
FeyLady

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very interesting information Fey, thank you for the additional information. It is a topic that, at the surface, seems simple but the more you talk about it the more layers pop up. Yes, Lovecraft was a great horror, fiction writer which also begs the question was art imitating life or was life imitating his art?
I believe the Necronomicon is the ''Book of the Dead'' from the ancient egypt culture.
Makes you really start to wonder what was burned & lost in the library...

Also, sparks the conversation regarding the "Book of the Dead". Since they were individual instructions of ancient funerary rites, spells, and hymns on how the person should enter & overcome obstacles in the afterlife then placed inside the burial coffin or chamber was there a MASTER "Book of the Dead"? OR are the Coffin Texts the real "Book of the Dead" hiding in plain sight?

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
crone maatkaere
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 2638
Spelled Number: 847
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: vampire
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven Greywolf
Zodiac:

the egyptian book of the dead actually is a "textbook" or rather "crib notes" on how to successfully pass through the individual tests the decedent will face in his journey through the underworld in order to find themselves in the afterlife and was written by ani the scribe. many of the tombs still to this day show the texts from the book of the dead so that the deceased will have crib notes for each level and hopefully be able to successfully pass each level. the simon necronomicon is more ritual spells for the different sumer gods. to date i believe the tomb that is most complete with the book of the dead "cheat notes" would be that of seti 1 which is absolutely exquisite and found by the italian strongman turned archaeologist giovanni belzoni.

witch, wa, da, specialty in egyptian, celt, asian, hindu magick
trained conjurer
cupping healer
reiki grand master and elven shaman

By the moon we sport and play. With the night begins our day...Thomas Ravenscroft
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly....me
Ē\ tā\n ē\ epì tâs - "Either [with] it [your shield], or on it"...Spartan Mothers to their sons
Mau Emerald Nile

Return to “Books & Literature”