First paranormal books to make your jaw drop?

Do you know a good book that can help someone on their path? Or, are you looking for a certain type of book?
Lampropeltis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 8
Spelled Number: 5
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gods and creatures.
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human's fine for now
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: It's a mystery! ;)
Zodiac:

The New Age/Occult section of a library or bookstore has a lot of variety. I read many things that didn't 'click', or that fell flat, but some, at the time, did.

What book (or books) were the first to make you say 'wow' and give you a lot to think about? (not necessarily ones that you completely agree with then or now, or that you don't look back on and shrug, thinking about, just ones that expanded your world at the time, or still do)

In chronological order:
Linda Goodmans Sun Signs (this was on my folks shelf when I was a kid, so I don't remember that 'wow' moment, if I had it)
'How to read the Aura' by Ted Andrews (don't think it's called precisely that, but that's the idea and author. Found it at a new-agey gift store as a teen)
'Real Magic' by Isaac Bonewits (found it in my Junior College library, checked it out umpteen times)
'Monsters' by John Michael Greer (found it at a discount book store)

Any that resonated with you, back when you were starting out? :wizard:

"With great power comes great responsibility." -Uncle Ben
vixenMC
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 100
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Oh, hey, I've got the book from Ted Andrews (the full title is How to See and Read the Aura). I think that was one of the first books I ever picked up, though I'm sorry to say I haven't read it cover to cover, just the parts I was interested in.

There was one book that I've had for as long as I can remember called The Mysterious World, An Atlas of the Unexplained by Francis Hitching. It's a late 70's book that has subjects from continental drift and earth magnetism, to megaliths and pyramid building, to bible myths, Atlantis and Shangri La, to the Bermuda Triangle and underwater sea monsters, to UFO's and spontaneous human combustion. As a kid, it was fascinating to read. Now obviously, since science has made great leaps and bounds to explain certain "mysteries" it seems a bit dated, but there are some unexplained things in the book that have yet to be solved so there's still hope.

The only other books I've got are related to divination, mostly on tarot. There's a cheesy Fortune Telling Kit by Chris Morgan I got when I was 12 or 13? that has a brief overview of different divination methods. It came with plastic-y runes, i ching coins and tarot cards (major arcana only). Fun to use and accurate enough, but it didn't give much information if you wanted to take it further or develop your skills. However, at that age it didn't really matter to me because any way that would help to make you understand what was going on in your life was enough for me.

I hesitate to list this other book as it's not really paranormal, but it's called the Reader's Digest Family guide to Natural Medicine. It's got some good information about keeping the body, mind, and spirit healthy in a natural way. There's quite a large range of approaches to healing and I was actually surprised by how much is in there. It's got some short anecdotal blurbs or case studies that makes you think differently about the whole situation and your ability to keep yourself healthy.

Wispy Winds
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Spiritual ME!
Zodiac:

A Guide to Mediumship---E.W. / M.H. Wallis

Any book by James Van Praagh

Enchantment of the Faerie Realm---Ted Andrews

The Healer's Manual---Ted Andrews

The book of Chakras---Ambika Wauters

:flower: :flower: :flower: HUGS!

Username change to *Beauty*
FeyLady68
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae
If I could be anything, I would be...: Fae
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Thea or you can just call me Fey
Zodiac:

Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain

The Spiral Dance by Starhawk

When God was a Woman by Merlin Stone

There's tons of other books I could list but those were the first three such books I read in that order. Maybe it's because it's where I started, but I often find myself reminded (when reading more current books) of exercises I first read and tried from these, especially the first two there. The third one there is the most "jaw-dropping" of the set.

I went on to read lots of Ted Andrews, Scott Cunningham, The Farrars, Bonewits and etc, all very good.

Nutritional and herbal books have given me some very jaw dropping "ah ha!" moments too. The Herb Bible by John Lust is very good if you can find a copy.

Best wishes!

Spirit of the Earth... remember...
Spirit of the Sky... remember...
Zin
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 50
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: Duojna, Black Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: too many options! :o
Zodiac:

Not sure...

Possibly...

Bizarre Phenomena (Quest for the Unknown) released by Reader's Digest.

One of three older series I'm collection-only one of which is completed to date. :3

I walk a path I cannot see, but it's the one that's meant for me. <3
There are Powerlines in our Bloodlines
Proud to have many Giants in my Bloodline.
Seeker of Knowledge.
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends
Zodiac:

The very first book I read was "A World Beyond" by Ruth Montgomery. Once a syndicated columnist for the Washington Posst, she turned to automatic writing (on a typewriter) after the death of her friend and psychic Arthur C Clark. It was brand new on the market and was a gift from a co-worker who listened to my viewpoints. This was 1971. I had already been working with magick since the mid 60's, this was my first book introduction to spirits.

In a World Beyond she talks about life after death, what happens there, how our loved ones are here watching over us, and reviews
cases where young children claimed to have lived before.

Finally, I felt I had found a book that explained so many of the things I had always believed in, but could not validate thru family.

She wrote an entire series of books. She's very easy to read.

There are many more I have read over the years, but hers was my first.

Namaste,
Alex

ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback

Return to “Books & Literature”