Magnolia how about a moderated debate section? - VOTE NOW!!!

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!

Should we have a moderated debate section?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 39
Cell28
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 80
Spelled Number: 300
Your favorite spirit to work with: My custom Servitor
If I could be anything, I would be...: a Shapeshifter
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

..the longer this discussion goes the more I notice I can't stick to one opinion..-
I mean, everyone here has a point! :thumbup:
and with every new statement made, I see things different than before..- interesting experience..;)

curious how it will end up... :computer:
:wave:

Greetings,Tasha
Killa
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

wynterhaven wrote:i still think its a bad ideal for this for other reasons as well.
NoctemAeternus wrote:In the meantime, if a bit of a debate comes up in topics it doesn't have to turn out horrendously - people just need to be mature with their statements and realise that nobody's intention going into it is to anger or annoy others.
we talk about the MD and say that there would have to be a level of maturity. yet we do have minors who are members of this forum. what happens when one of them (no offense to them what so ever, because i've seen minors who were more mature than some 50 year olds) says something just to be hurtful? do they get the "oh well they're, young" card? if so then what happens when someone who (let's say are in their 30's) says something hurtful? what is the excuse that would be used for them?

also who would be the moderators? now before everyone raises their hands, remember you could throw the question out there. but you wouldn't be allowed to answer it. due to the fact that we would need a neutral party, which is what the moderator's duty is. okay, now how many people want this job?

also how many more area's due we need? we already have topic of the day, general chit-chat, and off topic randomness. can someone remind me what those are there for? isn't it bad enough that we have areas that people can share pics, a media review area, and yet no one really uses them. how many times have we seen pics being on the general forum, just to see if we see someone's spirit in it? or talk about a tv show when we have an area just for that. we talk about how someones thread gets hijacked and its not fair to them (which it isn't). what makes you think that will change? i remember someone hijacking a thread to talk about anime. what happened there? it was cut out and moved to off topic randomness.
killarican wrote:I also asked for this for personal reasons as well as i love to debate and would love to entice discussions about God, Religion, Political Agenda's, and spirituality in general. As this is a spirit keeping forum i really have nowhere appropriate to express my thoughts
no offense but isn't this why you wanted a blog? even if there was a debate section doesn't mean anyone's going to debate it. nothing is guaranteed. yes it might be read but not debated. so then would we make another section because of that?
This is becoming a great example of what debating a specific topic is for without going offtopic. Because we all have to say our piece into one specific criteria. :P

Im a member of Many different types of forum Paranormal, Atheist, Spirituality, OBE, Science, And now Spirit keeping. Most of them have moderated debate sections. They all seem to work, so from what i observed this shouldnt just work in theory if people were willing to give it a chance. Yes we have those sections but throwing topics like that is for the sake of throwing it out there EXPECTING an emotional aggressive response. People can choose whether or not they want to go through the hassle of clicking on the "Debate" section if they feel its going to get them angry. But it should clear up alot of clutter on the forum. Trust me as an Empath i sure know how you feel and how most of the OP's feel.

For instance with Toads Invokation thread. There was obvious tension there. And it was even leaning slightly off topic rather then adressing the invocation itself. Threads go OFF TOPIC when someone feels threatened and then feels they need to justify or defend the presented statements at hand. I thought it was interesting what mag brought it so i decided to make a new thread about it in RESPECT to toadie on how i feel about demons and what makes a real demon, since some keepers dont believe in "Demons" or find it offensive. But then again I'm not the type of person to consider the universe is a Light & love and rainbows bunnies and sunshines either. In my view i thought that was the proper way of handling it. It leaves people to discuss one specific criteria instead of leaving too much ground to cover. Those sections are purely tenered either way, and i feel all members know matter how long they been a part of the forum has delved enough into there spirituality to be able to have the right to contribute there piece into the discussion.

The problem here is NOT debates. We can learn from debates. We can learn from challenging peoples belief systems. Heck I dont belief in anything matter of fact but people can challenge up on that if they wanted to. It's all the clutter and crap that people spew because of PASSION for there beliefs. It happens no matter what. I expect respect. I expect respect when i make posts. I give people respect because not only its the right thing to do, i feel they deserve it, and i expect it in return. No matter what they say think or do. Mag made a bunch of good points on adressing this issue as well.

If i make more threads challenging people as to WHY they want to believe in God then they can defend it or question me all they want as long as it stays true to the topic. That's what the topic is there for right? People can either click it and discuss it with me or just leave it be. I know some people here rather not post on the forum at all with the crazyness going on. But thats just a setback. We are all human. We all want whats right to make this a great community for elders new members and people in between. People should be entitled to challenge one another for the merits of there statements. NOT take it personal.

I strongly agree as soon as someone downgrades to the position of openly attacking another, then that person right then and there has lost ALL credibility in there argument to begin with. And in the end it was pointless. But we are all adults here aren't we? Be the better person and be less reactive to what is direct, indirect, or implied that will invoke emotional tension but just keep your cool and go about discussing the whole POINT to thread in the first place instead of worrying about and making a big deal of how people come off.

I ALWAYS give the benefit of the doubt to people when i feel a particular response has struct me, but i will tell myself maybe I'm overreacting or just taking it wrong misinterpreting what was stated in the first place. I admit I'm a really sensitive emotional person but regardless of that i try to always find the good in people. No matter what they believe think or say.

Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
If I could be anything, I would be...: who i am
Zodiac:

you really didn't answer my questions.

who would be the moderator? because they would have to be neutral.

what's the point in all those other sections, since hardly anyone uses them?

and isn't this why you wanted a blog, to have a place to discuss your views?

just a lowly spirit keeper. nothing more, nothing less
Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they have found it - Hannah McKay (DEXTER)
what delusional planet do you come from and how do i get off of it?
Be the villain, not the victim.

Killa
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

wynterhaven wrote:you really didn't answer my questions.

who would be the moderator? because they would have to be neutral.

what's the point in all those other sections, since hardly anyone uses them?

and isn't this why you wanted a blog, to have a place to discuss your views?
I really dont know who the moderators are i ussually assume it's some of the blue elders. Whoever is the one approving people's Posts. Same goes for chat moderators, such as you and cap.

They are tenured and not open for everyone to see and contribute to.

I wanted a blog to rant about my life or whatever so happened to be on my mind just as much as you or anyone has. :P

1 Particular section for asking a question or presenting a certain viewpoint leaves it open to get feedback and discussion without the dirty talk,without throwing excrement. But of course its all up to each individual on what they find offensive and how they choose to respond to it. I made the topic, i know who will agree and disagree. And we can have a happy discussion about it. What would really upset me is people disrespecting others in reaction to others responses without even adressing the whole point of my post. I dont like it and i dont like it happening to others.

Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

see that's what i wanted to know :D

as far as me being a mod for that the answer will always be NO. sorry it is who i am.

the topic of the day, general chit chat and off topic randomness is open to the general forum. just because i'm seeing grey names in there.

Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they have found it - Hannah McKay (DEXTER)

Killa
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

wynterhaven wrote:see that's what i wanted to know :D

as far as me being a mod for that the answer will always be NO. sorry it is who i am.

the topic of the day, general chit chat and off topic randomness is open to the general forum. just because i'm seeing grey names in there.
My bad yeah off topicness is open. I confused them since you put them all together lol . I dont keep track of the forum. As far as i remember General chit chat and topic of the day are strictly tenured no?

Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

Killarican wrote:

My bad yeah off topicness is open. I confused them since you put them all together lol . I dont keep track of the forum. As far as i remember General chit chat and topic of the day are strictly tenured no?
no i just looked they're all open to the public.

Killa
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

wynterhaven wrote:
Killarican wrote:

no i just looked they're all open to the public.
You sure? I mean Open for grey members.I just went on mo mo's account and since she's grey Topic of the day and general chit chat are not in site.Off topicness however is.

They grey names you still see in certain topics are possibly from members who were once tenured and lost there status. :daze:

Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

then i can't really answer that question because i am tenure and i'm just reporting what i see.

Dark Abyss
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

wynterhaven wrote:then i can't really answer that question because i am tenure and i'm just reporting what i see.
darn edit button: then why can't it be kept in off topic randomness?

Return to “Forum Suggestions”