Villisca Axe murder house

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 32
Your favorite spirit to work with: WA/DA
If I could be anything, I would be...: A beloved pet
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Seer
Zodiac:

One the morning of June 10, 1912, a small community in Villisca, Iowa awoke to find 8 of their own had been brutally murdered by an axe during the middle of the night. What once had been a peaceful community where everyone knew and trusted their neighbors, attended church together and left doors unlocked, changed forever on that bloody morning.

Joe B Moore (43), his wife Sarah (39), their four children, Herman (11), Katherine (10), Boyd (7), Paul (5) and two visiting children, Lena (11) and Ina (8) Stillinger were found in the early morning hours of June 10. All had been brutally murdered while they slept in their beds sometime between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. They had attended Children’s Day at their local church and arrived home about 11:00 p.m. the night before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Wh-lLR ... r_embedded#
In this EVP, you can clearly hear the children call each other by the names of those who died there.

After the bodies were discovered and law enforcement arrived, the law quickly discovered that they had already lost control of the crime scene. Neighbors had already filed into the house to witness the carnage and contaminated any evidence that might have been useful. The murderer/murderers had covered all the windows and mirrors of the home, and had cover the victims with blankets and clothing. A long, black handled axe lay against the wall in the downstairs sewing room where Lena and Ina lay. The mutilation of Lena and Ina was so severe that they were identified by their personal Bibles which were left on the dresser in their room. A bloody pan of water was found in the kitchen along with a half eaten meal. Kerosene lamps were carefully placed at the foot of each bed in both the parent’s room and the sewing room. The chimneys of the lamps had been discarded and the wicks turned back.

Neighbors and law enforcement began to compile a list of suspects. No longer were doors left unlocked and everyone began keeping vigils at night to ensure the safety of their families. Accusations, rumors, and suspicion ran rampant. The state and neighboring counties sent in law enforcement agencies to assist with the thousands of interviews that took place, but the crime was never solved.

One of the prime suspects of the murders became Frank Jones, a very wealthy and powerful businessman. He was also a State Senator and very involved in politics. Joe Moore was once employed by Frank Jones but quit that job to open his own business. Jones and Moore soon became bitter business rivals. It was also rumored that Joe Moore was having an affair with the Senator’s daughter-in-law, Dona and this further aroused suspicion.

Another prime suspect was Reverend Lyn George Jacklin Kelly who was a traveling minister, a peeping tom and a man with peculiar habits He had attended the Children’s Day Services at the Moore’s church on the night of the murders. He boarded a train during the early morning hours of June 10 and it was reported by an elderly couple, also on the train, that he talked about the murders before the bodies were discovered. Rev. Kelly confessed to the murders several years later, but charges were dropped after one trial ended in a hung jury and the 2nd jury acquitted him.

William Mansfield also became a suspect. He had recently been released from prison and was known to have associations with the other criminals. He became a suspect when his own wife, his infant daughter and his in-laws were murdered by an axe in Blue Island, Illinois in 1914. The murder scene in Blue Island was very similar to the Villisca murders. It was rumored that Mansfield was hired by Frank Jones. Similar axe murders had occurred in Kansas and Colorado in which Mansfield could be placed in these locations on the nights of those murders.

The house was originally built in 1868 and became the home of the Joe Moore family in 1903. Since the murders, ownership has changed hands several times. It was purchased by Darwin and Martha Linn in 1994 who have returned it to its original condition. All electricity and plumbing have been removed. Period furniture has been bought and placed as closely as possible to their reported positions on the night of the murders. Recent renovations have sparked reports of paranormal activity and have stirred an interest both locally and nationally. The house remains vacant but lamplight tours and overnights are available by appointment.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." ~Seneca
Earthen
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: HUMAN
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Very interesting! those are some very good EVPS.. poor kids :(
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience

Even the brightest Star shines in the dark☽✪☾
p’yunik~*~chovexani
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Grigori and Phoenix
If I could be anything, I would be...: I like being human!
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: p’yunik~*~chovexani
Zodiac:

The EVPs are definitely freaky, but clear as a bell, sent chills up my spine. Although, I wish they didn't put subtitles at first.
I always wonder why it seems the children seem to stay behind and not the parents.. or why i guess the children are more willing to be seen/heard?
~*PHOENIXGUIDE*~
KANUKA PEPPER SELENITE
The Phoenix wings her way through desert skies, defying Fortune's spite, revives from ashes and rise-Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Ուր եք գնում, կարող եք հետեւել Աստծո լույսի ներքո :phoenix:
You share 50% of your DNA with a banana. Get over yourself.
spirits aren't pets...they don't come when called
freya
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: no faves
If I could be anything, I would be...: fairy or elf
My magical/paranormal name...: freya
Zodiac:

Don't you know any HAPPY stories??? ::rofl::

JUST KIDDING.

I haven't ever heard that story/happening. Thanks for posting. I can't do videos (on dialup) but I LOVE EVP's.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak. ~Author Unknown

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. ~Abraham Lincoln
SEER777
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 32
Your favorite spirit to work with: WA/DA
If I could be anything, I would be...: A beloved pet
My magical/paranormal name...: Seer
Zodiac:

freya wrote:Don't you know any HAPPY stories??? ::rofl::

JUST KIDDING.

I haven't ever heard that story/happening. Thanks for posting. I can't do videos (on dialup) but I LOVE EVP's.
I have a lot of time on my hands and I am always looking on youtube and other sites for evidence of the paranormal. I have a million more if anyone is interested. Some may keep you up at night though. :crazy: :scared:

Freya...DIALUP! ::jawdrop:: oh no. How do you survive?!?!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca

"Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." ~Seneca
freya
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: no faves
If I could be anything, I would be...: fairy or elf
My magical/paranormal name...: freya
Zodiac:

Keep posting! I love to read the stories!

Yeah I know...dial up is my curse in life. :lol: When I win the lottery, I'll change to braodband or wifi...until then, I'm stuck. :frustrated:

And I LOVE to scared out of my wits so write on McDuff!!
Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak. ~Author Unknown

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. ~Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Folklore & Legends”