'Superb Soup' for Geeks or those who likes fish stew

Share your favorite recipes that are to die for!
SageOfHyrule
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 55
Spelled Number: 13
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: Werewolf or Mermaid
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: xX_ Emerald Frost _Xx
Zodiac:

This recipe was made from scratch by me based off of a video game food. LOL

Literally, in 'The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess' There is a 'Superb soup' that is made, and it refills all your health. ;)

It sounded so yummy, I wanted to try and make it..so here is my take on it. But you don't have to be a nerd to even a fan to try this delicious, hearty stew!

I crave it every winter.. It's a fishy soup with salmon, potatoes, squash, pumpkin, leeks, and cheese. A winter wonder. :)

This recipe has undergone many tweaks, so if you find a measurement you'd prefer to do differently, or add something else, feel free. I hope this copy has the best reflections, lol, I tend to tweak and add dashes of this and that, so here goes. Spices aren't exact, and I usually go in dashes, so if something seems too much or too little, use your judgement.
I also recommend going for low sodium, organic chicken broth, and organic veggies whenever possible:

INGREDIENTS:
Butter for sauteing (2 T.) (REAL BUTTER. Don't eat plastic. :( )
1 T. Olive Oil (also sauteing. I suppose you could use either or..some butter has OL in it.)

1 C. Chopped onion
1 C. Chopped celery
3 or more Garlic minced(more if you love it)
16 oz. real canned pumpkin
1/2 acorn squash or about 1.5 cups (you can find it frozen and cubed at store)
2 yams/sweet potato (yams are sweeter)
3 carrots chopped/cut small
2 C. low sodium, chicken broth
salt and pepper(1 tsp. black or white pepper)
5 Tsp. nutmeg (and or Chinese five spice.)
1 Tsp. dill or small package fresh Dill
1 T. Parsley or 1 Package fresh parsley
1 (8 oz.) AND 1 (6. oz.) CANS Salmon (I use bones, skin and all.. just dump it right into the pot from the can. The bones are soft and full of flavor. :) )
1 (12 OZ.) Fat free evaporated milk (I bet coconut milk would also be good too or full cream if you'd like.)
2 (8 oz.) cans of creamed corn
(you can also add whole corn from can or frozen)
1 C. Shredded cheddar cheese/ Goat cheese
1 Leek Chopped

-=-DIRECTIONS-=- STIR IN SALMON, MILK, CREAMED CORN, AND CHEESE LAST. :) (first time I made this I almost just dumped it all into the pot)
Melt butter in large pot over medium high heat; Add OL oil and saute onion, leek, celery and garlic until onions are translucent(a few mins.)

Stir in chicken broth, all other veggies which have been chopped, canned pumpkin, all spices. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat.

Cover simmer 20 minutes.

STIR IN SALMON, MILK, CREAMED CORN, AND CHEESE LAST. Cook until heated through, and serve.

Some things to add to this to make it more fishy would be fish sauce (like for fried rice, and curry. You can get it in Asian section.)
You can add more pumpkin, or other squashes if you like.. of course more cheese if you love it like I do. ;)

Let me know what you guys think if you make it.. It's uniquely tasty. :)

The moon is gone and the night is still so dark
I'm a little bit afraid of tomorrow
For this day was so long and hard for me
And I've lost some of the things

I will cry a little while and wait for tomorrow
There's no way to be free from the loneliness
It took so long for me to notice
But now I'm on my way to find my life

Maybe this day, maybe tomorrow

So far I have trusted
Brighter it shines
The light of love

I am the one whose image is great and I am the one who has no image.
Wiccan Warrior Alex
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Black Dragon/wraith
If I could be anything, I would be...: Wraith
My magical/paranormal name...: Given to a few close friends
Zodiac:

It sounds simply fabulous. I live in the land of fresh salmon, and it is plentiful right now in the stores.
Thank you for a new way to prepare this healthful fish.

Pumpkin and squash are part of the fall bounty and fresh. If you choose to use fresh pumpkin instead of canned, be sure to
get a 'pie' pumpkin instead of the big jackolantern pumpkins, which don't have as much flavor. The fresh veggies can be
simmered gently in the stock base until they are slightly soft, then added to your stockpot to finish melding flavors with the
stew.

I may try a lobster base rather than chicken. "Better than Bullion" makes a base that is stirred into hot water.
They make a chicken, beef, vegetarian, ham and lobster base. IMO it's better than the canned broths, and one jar will
make several large pots. Keep it in the fridge after opening. Look for it in your local grocery.

Sage, it is obvious you have spent a lot of time perfecting this. You really should enter it into a recipe contest.
It's very well thought out, and though I have to go to the store today to buy the ingredients, it sounds like it's going
to be heavenly!

Namaste,
Alex

ImageIf everyone cared and nobody cried,
If everyone loved and nobody lied,
If everyone shared and swallowed their pride,
Then we'd see the day when nobody died.
Nickleback
SageOfHyrule
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Wiccan Warrior Alex wrote: It sounds simply fabulous. I live in the land of fresh salmon, and it is plentiful right now in the stores.
Thank you for a new way to prepare this healthful fish.

Pumpkin and squash are part of the fall bounty and fresh. If you choose to use fresh pumpkin instead of canned, be sure to
get a 'pie' pumpkin instead of the big jackolantern pumpkins, which don't have as much flavor. The fresh veggies can be
simmered gently in the stock base until they are slightly soft, then added to your stockpot to finish melding flavors with the
stew.

I may try a lobster base rather than chicken. "Better than Bullion" makes a base that is stirred into hot water.
They make a chicken, beef, vegetarian, ham and lobster base. IMO it's better than the canned broths, and one jar will
make several large pots. Keep it in the fridge after opening. Look for it in your local grocery.

Sage, it is obvious you have spent a lot of time perfecting this. You really should enter it into a recipe contest.
It's very well thought out, and though I have to go to the store today to buy the ingredients, it sounds like it's going
to be heavenly!

Namaste,
Alex
Aww, Thanks so much Alex :D Lobster base sounds great too. I didn't think of that. And I'd love to get into using real pumpkin, it's probably a lot more healthy for you because it's more 'alive' then canned. Infact, this soup baked inside one of those little single sugar pumpkins would be delicious I bet. :D

Actually, when I make up a recipe, I usually open 10 tabs of a bunch of other recipes like it, and pick and choose what I like or going for from each one. And then I tweak it, most of the time I just add a dash of that and this , lol. But that is so sweet for you to say. :hug:

Chinese five spice is very good in it too. I found a seller on etsy who has organic, fresh made to order spices here:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/19657252/or ... id_5407622

She has pumpkin pie spice which sounds divine too :D
http://www.etsy.com/listing/32285343/or ... ices-fresh

We'll probably make this soon also. :)

So far I have trusted
Brighter it shines
The light of love

Alycat79
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

Gwah. :drool: Why, oh WHY am I a cooking horror???? The kitchen and I aren't friends, though there are a few things I make that I make fairly well. I tend to stick with those old faithfuls, though, because I've set the kitchen on fire twice. ::facepalm::

I just don't have the patience. :lol: Which is ironic, I have all the patience in the world when reading, cross stitching, trying to learn how to meditate and the like, but cooking? *sigh* :frustrated:

This sounds absolutely amazing, though. I second Alex, you should enter it into some sort of cooking competition.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Final stanza of the poem Invictus by William Earnest Henley

You have no power over me. - Sarah Williams from Labyrinth

The truly powerful never feel the need to brag about it. - Me

SageOfHyrule
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Alycat79 wrote:Gwah. :drool: Why, oh WHY am I a cooking horror???? The kitchen and I aren't friends, though there are a few things I make that I make fairly well. I tend to stick with those old faithfuls, though, because I've set the kitchen on fire twice. ::facepalm::

I just don't have the patience. :lol: Which is ironic, I have all the patience in the world when reading, cross stitching, trying to learn how to meditate and the like, but cooking? *sigh* :frustrated:

This sounds absolutely amazing, though. I second Alex, you should enter it into some sort of cooking competition.

Ohhh LOL I HAVE NO PATIENCE for cross stitching XD Meditation is very hard for me too, unless it's guided, but then I usually fall asleep. LOL I set the oven on fire, gee what was it.. I believe it was new years but I'm not sure. something dripped to the bottom and there was a mini campfire in there. It was surreal seeing fire where it does not belong. LOL I have had nightmares since I was a little kid about the house being on fire, so much so I knew exactly what to grab if there ever was one.. So It left me really shaky. lol

When it comes a bit closer to Christmas I will share my mom's Lasagna recipe.(SHH don't tell ;) )
IT IS SO GOOD. She got it from a friend who was Italian. It is a sweeter sauce based recipe. I could eat it for every meal and have LOL. Not good for those watching their weight. :frustrated: LOL

So far I have trusted
Brighter it shines
The light of love

Alycat79
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

SageOfHyrule wrote:
Alycat79 wrote:Gwah. :drool: Why, oh WHY am I a cooking horror???? The kitchen and I aren't friends, though there are a few things I make that I make fairly well. I tend to stick with those old faithfuls, though, because I've set the kitchen on fire twice. ::facepalm::

Ohhh LOL I HAVE NO PATIENCE for cross stitching XD Meditation is very hard for me too, unless it's guided, but then I usually fall asleep. LOL I set the oven on fire, gee what was it.. I believe it was new years but I'm not sure. something dripped to the bottom and there was a mini campfire in there. It was surreal seeing fire where it does not belong. LOL I have had nightmares since I was a little kid about the house being on fire, so much so I knew exactly what to grab if there ever was one.. So It left me really shaky. lol

When it comes a bit closer to Christmas I will share my mom's Lasagna recipe.(SHH don't tell ;) )
IT IS SO GOOD. She got it from a friend who was Italian. It is a sweeter sauce based recipe. I could eat it for every meal and have LOL. Not good for those watching their weight. :frustrated: LOL

Oooooh, shame, shame, sharing your mom's recipe. I can't wait! XD Lasagna is one of those things I will actually try in the kitchen. :clap:

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Final stanza of the poem Invictus by William Earnest Henley

You have no power over me. - Sarah Williams from Labyrinth

The truly powerful never feel the need to brag about it. - Me

Return to “Dinner to Die For”