EDIT & DELETE

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Who is/isn't allowed to edit/delete their blogs? When I look in the admin side it shows that originators of the blogs & threads have permission to edit/delete their own posts. So for those of you who blog, who is allowed to edit/delete?

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem with this is that unlike a REAL blog, where the author posts a thread and then other people posts COMMENTS to that thread, this is technically a forum. So if you were to delete your thread, does that mean that all threads underneath should be deleted also? Get my meaning?? Because if that happens then YOU are deleting the posts that don't belong to you, even though they were posted in your blog.
Yes, just like a real blog if you delete the original post/blog, then all subsequent posts/comments will be removed as well.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Zodiac:

creepyhollows wrote:Who is/isn't allowed to edit/delete their blogs? When I look in the admin side it shows that originators of the blogs & threads have permission to edit/delete their own posts. So for those of you who blog, who is allowed to edit/delete?
I think she means after the 15 minutes are up...the delete button goes away.

So hours or days later, like on a regular Wordpress or Blogger blog, the author can delete a post. But this is a threaded forum which would cause problems. if the author/blog owner deleted their post/thread...what would happen to all the posts that were posted (threaded) after the fact? Would they be deleted too? If they stayed, with no frame of reference (the original post) it wouldn't make sense. If they were deleted too, then the blog owner has the ability to delete not only their own post, but the posts of others in the blog.

Just a thought to consider.

gwae
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 16
Spelled Number: 0
My magical/paranormal name...: Shamuramat
Zodiac:

I can't even see my blog.
Princess told me I do have one but I can't find it.
So I definitely can't edit or delete lol

Divinita
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

creepyhollows wrote:Who is/isn't allowed to edit/delete their blogs? When I look in the admin side it shows that originators of the blogs & threads have permission to edit/delete their own posts. So for those of you who blog, who is allowed to edit/delete?
you only have the option to delete a blog post for a short window of time, same as editing.
after that time passes, they are uneditabel/deleteable.
Ellegria: yes, that would also delete people's comments, but I own a livejournal blog, since 2001, and sometimes i delete my entries there,and yes, it deletes the comments psoted as well, but if I don't want a post up anymore, since i was the originator of the post people commented on, then it all just disappears.
No one has ever gotten upset with me over that. *shrugs*

Not that I have many blog posts of mine i want to delete, but still...

But I DO agree, we should not have control to delete anyone elses' posts,but if it was someone replying to something, that is not done out of malicious intent,if someone decides they don't want to keep their original thoughts up.

I can see the other side though, if someone posts something that could be considered harrasing, or bullying,etc..and they try to go erase what they wrote, how THAT would not be good, but I was thinking of the non malicious side of things,just having the option in general. :lol:

just my 2cents

:D

Killa
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

I agree with hammer on this one, but it also depends on the circumstance. I can see a persons full right to edit & delete whatever is in there own blog, But the issue should be fixed with google searching people's private blogs.

Maybe an Edit option for a few old posts out in the open forum, But I wouldnt Like to see old threads being deleted out of the blue, especially if the information was beneficial to other members <_<

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

But the issue should be fixed with google searching people's private blogs.
I tried cutting & pasting posts made in the Blogs sections, both originating posts & reply posts, out on Google and I did not get any search results back to here. If someone can give me an example I would appreciate it because I have to track down which forum(s) is being indexed in order to stop it. But, I haven't been able to recreate that scenario on Google.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

creepyhollows wrote:
But the issue should be fixed with google searching people's private blogs.
I tried cutting & pasting posts made in the Blogs sections, both originating posts & reply posts, out on Google and I did not get any search results back to here. If someone can give me an example I would appreciate it because I have to track down which forum(s) is being indexed in order to stop it. But, I haven't been able to recreate that scenario on Google.
Here's what happened for me...I logged out of the forum and put my username/blog name into google.

Ellegria*

Top of the results I got my blog. HOWEVER, when I clicked on the link I was taken to the page to log in. When I clicked on the CACHED link, I was taken to the list of results for my blog...but when I clicked on an individual post of one of my blog posts, I was once again asked to log in.

so it appears that yes...your blog in general will show up in Google, but no one can read your post unless they are logged in and tenured. So I guess the best advice is to keep any personal information out of the actual blog post TITLE, as the TITLE is the only thing someone can read from Google without being logged into the CH forum.

Cheers..........

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ciaryn, I don't see one for you either, so I am creating it now.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Bella
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angels
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Hammer, I was never talking about deleteing other people's posts.

When I searched my name & clicked on the "cached" link in Google, I could see my entire blog post just now without being logged in to the forum. :problem:
Due to the personal nature of blogs, I have a problem with that. :thumbdown:
If I post something and then decide that I want to edit or delete it later, especially in a forum with my name on it, I should be able to. 2cents
If it's not gonna be secure, I just won't post there anymore. ::bleh::

Brightest Blessings!
Wishing you \/ , <3 , & :) always!

Return to “Forum Suggestions”