ive got it ...maybe hopefully

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!
remington
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

its so simple
a lot of people are fed up at the argument ect so what can you do delete negative or heated discussions ...mmmm limit free speech and lose the diamonds hidden in the debris....seems like a waste of diamonds to me
so how about we rip of good old Facebook like button idea but make a hide button so you can still view those posts if you want to buy into all that stuff or you can filter and like facebook it shows whos hit the like/or hide button its a pretty good indicator of what ppl are thinking without a nasty retort
for exaple subject a starts a nice thread about a nice experience and subject b jumps on and calls it bs instead of coming down on subject b like a ton of bricks to protect our fellow forum member we simply choose to hide or not hide his post say if 100 other members choose to hide his post subject b would look pretty silly and petty to carry on if he did he would lose face unless he had solid evidence .... give the power to the people we need to effect change as a mass in a nice democratic way without sacrificing any freedom of speech

cheers rach
remington
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

ahhhhh the personal empowerment of being able to self veto
come on guys surely you have some views on this please share your thoughts could it possibly work

cheers rach
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

We try to avoid removing entire subjects unless the entire thread is bad.

Typically we just remove the offending thread within the larger thread, not the entire thing.

You can "Foe" someone in your profile, you won't see any of their posts if you do this. If someone irks you or gets on your nerves, you can "Foe" them, and you won't see their posts on any thread.

I don't believe in limitation of free speech, but sometimes when people are in the "mob mentality" and get into the habit of being negative, prohibiting the bad behavior can help restore the good nature & then things can go back to as they were before without the limitation.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Divinita
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

it might work, but i think that would take some technical tweaking on the actual forum programming end...
you know? :( :hug:

remington
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

do you think this could help break the mob mentality in a positive way and empower members to choose not to bite back so to speak

cheers rach
Divinita
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

remington wrote:do you think this could help break the mob mentality in a positive way and empower members to choose not to bite back so to speak
unfortunately, I kinda don't think so.
some people just thrive off of chaos, then those of us who don't, get trampled and tossed aside.

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a better solution, before we get 10 other people with the bad tiding threads, as I see they are already popping up as I predicted, why don't we move to the secret ballot method instead. It would speed the guessing games up a bit.

Why don't you guys PM or email me the name(s) of the person/people who are the primary causes of the discord & stress. If there are a handful above the rest then at least I know where to start in terms of watching posts & keeping an eye on things, as opposed to random spot-checking that I am doing now.
do you think this could help break the mob mentality in a positive way and empower members to choose not to bite back so to speak
The art of suggestion & the gentle persuasion are both highly under rated gifts. People may not even realize they are being conditioned. A complaint here, a complaint there, maybe eventually even a complaint thread, and eventually the poison spreads from being a droplet to infecting the whole bottle. Having dealt with situations like this before, yes, sometimes forbidding the complaining & encouraging people who are IMed, PMed, emailed, etc by people who are complaining to stand up for themselves & see it for what it is, will often break the cycle. We went through this in 2009 and it ended up in the removal of several board members, who have not returned, and after their absence the board returned to normal.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

unfortunately, I kinda don't think so.
some people just thrive off of chaos, then those of us who don't, get trampled and tossed aside.
Not necessarily so, and you shouldn't be made to think so. When children are young & they begin to whine and cry and complain, a mother will often ignore the child. The child cries more, whines more, complains more, and the mother still ignores. Eventually, the child subsides because they realize no one is listening. The same with a crowd of people, in every work place there is the one person no one else takes seriously, they blow them off & put the cotton in their ears when that person comes around. When ignored a person will temporarily lash out to be heard, may even make a big stink about it to show what a strong person they think they are, but in the end, if no one is listening, and no one cares what they have to say, they subside.

If you each make it a personal call to do the same to the people who are drama hounds on here, the drama will stop. If you are the person who doesn't think they can keep their mouth shut, then you should call them outright on their behavior & tell them you aren't going to pay any attention to their future posts. I prefer the ignore method, but the confront method can be just as effective if someone doesn't realize they are causing a problem.

It's your board as much as it is mine, and I've lived through multiple dramas on here, and usually all it takes is a few good people to act responsibly & respectfully to weed out the drama & bring in the light.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
remington
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

but hopefully we outnumber those who thrive on chaos there is strength in numbers dilvs and it has to be better than a lynch mob retaliation mentality ;) :D
mags i am sorry but i dont think some of the ones rocking the boat realize they are rocking the boat
and therefore wouldn't realize that people are not paying attention what i am suggesting would let them know that people have made a choice not to listen it might make them think before they post ...or question why and do some self evaluation
a passifyer so to speak until we are past this akward / teething stage that we seemed to have hit

off topic the baby analogies are running thick and fast today first me in dilvs post and now mags on here mmm funny that lol

cheers rach
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin

but hopefully we outnumber those who thrive on chaos there is strength in numbers dilvs and it has to be better than a lynch mob retaliation mentality ;) :D
I quite assure you that those tired of the drama outnumber the ones causing it. Kind of like when you are in the presence of someone with a big personality; they dominate the room & the exhaust you at the rate 10 normal people would. LOL The same here, it just takes a few to exhaust people at a higher rate.
mags i am sorry but i dont think some of the ones rocking the boat realize they are rocking the boat
I very much agree with you.
and therefore wouldn't realize that people are not paying attention what i am suggesting would let them know that people have made a choice not to listen it might make them think before they post ...or question why and do some self evaluation
True, but what you are suggesting means programming from a software tech, and that usually takes a month or more between development, testing, and implementation. I think it would be better to use the measures we have available to us right now.
a passifyer so to speak until we are past this akward / teething stage that we seemed to have hit
There are only a few, valid suggestions I can think of & I'm open for more thoughts:

1. Tell the people who are doing it outright so they realize their behavior, and if they refuse, then maybe they should take a break from the forum
2. Put the person on your "Foe" list & email or PM me the name of the people causing the problem if you don't feel comfortable saying something yourself
3. Ignore them completely and the lack of responses to their threads will be recognized, I assure you

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER

Return to “Forum Suggestions”