Herbs and gems for depression and insomnia

Which ones do you love to work with? Or, which ones do you have questions about?
algieri78
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Spelled Number: 1

does anybody here had experience with gemstones or herbs that help relieved depression or insomnia? Here's some that I know.
gemstones-
lapis lazuli- cures depression
amethyst- for insomnia
topaz-
jobs tears-
tigers eye-

herbs-
basil- calms people down
Ginger- my favorite, calms you down, lessens anxiety

Abundance
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Zodiac:

Hello and welcome to the forum. Valerian, passionflower, chamomile, gotu kola are herbs which are great for insomnia just to name a few, there are so many and of course, if you take any medication, always check to make sure that they don't interfere.

Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 66
Spelled Number: 666
My magical/paranormal name...: Adelphia D. Blood

Hey Algieri,

The best supplement I know for both depression and insomnia is L-tryptophan (an amino acid). A dose will send you off into sleep, as well as reducing depression by boosting seratonin levels.

Crystals... you've got a good list there. Emotional and mental healing crystals could be chosen based on which particular chakra may be causing a problem. But one good one I like for this kind of healing in general is Rhodochrosite - and in general perhaps the crystals associated with the heart chakra might be helpful such as Rose Quartz, Malachite, Aventurine, Garnet, Ruby, Green Moss Agate, Amazonite, Chrysocolla, Emerald, Jade, Peridot, Unakite, Morganite, and Larimar.

"You can call me 'little sunshine'."-Crowley

Adelphia D. Blood
Sorcerer, Psychic Investigator
autumnfae
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 50
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Cambion
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Xaries
Zodiac:

VALERIAN VALERIAN VALERIAN

My family has a history of anxiety and depression and Valerian helped a lot. Some of our anxiety is triggered from eating dairy products. It was so bad that my poor brother couldnt eat ice cream with us because his ticks would get reallly bad. He also had a friend who had really bad anxiety but also something else that makes you shake uncontrollably or have "ticks" His mother was poor and couldnt keep up with the medical bills. My mom gave her some valerian tea and the boy is now tick and tremor free. His mother was so happy and relieved and she would always cry or smile when she sees my mom because she saved a ton of money! She couldnt believe that such a cheap herb worked those kind of wonders on her son when she was paying 500 bucks a month on meds that only worked 50 percent of the time.

ImageImageImageImage Image
Adelphia
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 66
Spelled Number: 666
My magical/paranormal name...: Adelphia D. Blood

autumnfae wrote:VALERIAN VALERIAN VALERIAN

My family has a history of anxiety and depression and Valerian helped a lot. Some of our anxiety is triggered from eating dairy products. It was so bad that my poor brother couldnt eat ice cream with us because his ticks would get reallly bad. He also had a friend who had really bad anxiety but also something else that makes you shake uncontrollably or have "ticks" His mother was poor and couldnt keep up with the medical bills. My mom gave her some valerian tea and the boy is now tick and tremor free. His mother was so happy and relieved and she would always cry or smile when she sees my mom because she saved a ton of money! She couldnt believe that such a cheap herb worked those kind of wonders on her son when she was paying 500 bucks a month on meds that only worked 50 percent of the time.
Oh!! :thumbup: Valerian is great! How old was your brother when your mother started giving it to him?

"You can call me 'little sunshine'."-Crowley

Adelphia D. Blood
Sorcerer, Psychic Investigator
autumnfae
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

he was around 8. now there is no trace of the tics and anxiety... he is all mr. relaxed and social now, working as firefighter in Belgium. Maybe I should take some now myself ahaha :lol: It got really bad for a while but after he took the valerian it went away. I have no idea how and why my mother was able to find something so quickly that worked so well for him. but there is also as a sidenote this thing called 5-htp. I think it would work better for depression AND anxiety. go to iherb.com and see the reviews... that should convince you.

Abundance
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Zodiac:

I agree, with the 5-htp which is a form of tryptophan and was going to mention it, I take it myself and of course melatonin. The one thing with 5-htp or any other supplements which increase serotonin is they should not be used if your are on anti-depression meds since there could be a risk of serotonin overload. And yeah, I use Valerian quite a bit myself, though the smell takes a bit getting use to :) Autumnfae, iherbs is a great store I've shopped there and the prices are good. Also fish oils with omega 3 are good for depression, st johns wort has been used for years in Europe to treat it also. Celestial Seasons make a good tea called Tension Tamer which works well to help with relaxation.

autumnfae
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

i.herb is great. You can get some of the best prices there. it can be a hassle at times buying natural products but i.herb has everything set up pretty professionaly and if you need an honest review, just checking the feedback from customers usually steer others in the right direction.

algieri78
new here
new here
You are...: experienced
Spelled Number: 1

wow, did not know dairy products can cause anxiety

There's some aromatherpay also, such as-
lavender oil- for insomnia and headache Calms and relaxes.
Sandalwood- calms anxiety, for depression and insomnia.
Jasmine- helps releases GABA the feel good hormone. Allevites anxiety and depression and insomnia. Stimulates for times of hopelessness.
Clary sage- aids in falling asleep and in sleeping more deeply. for nervousness and anxiety.

some others I found-
green tea- contains l- theanine which calms nerves.
zinc- can produce a calming effect. But don't take too much.
Magnesium- relaxing effect.
acai berries- stops anxiety and depression. Not sure with this one.

Return to “Herbs/Minerals/Oils”