Alternative Auctions Sites Blog Info

Pertinent information regarding transacting on eBay
david2885
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0

Caiyros
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 05:22 AM

Read this thought it might be of interest.....

http://messages.yahoo.com/Computers_&_I ... f=18&frt=2

Caiyros

IndigoWonders
It will be interesting to see how things turn out in the long run.

Caiyros
I think the major issue is how the online auction market will reformulate itself now that we are witnessing the slow & painful dissolution of eBay.

Personally, I think one (of many) option will be for a collegium of smaller auction sites working in a mutually cooperative manner, but certainly something else could happen.

The root problem with eBay is that they do not understand that their market high of October 2001 (from memory, I think this is coorect) of $60.01/share was a high based upon the wider opening of online markets. Since then their per-share price has stabilized at approx. $27-$39/share. As this is their price stability, they will never exceed it again, and instead of being happy with a stabile profit making business they have been "bitten by gold-rush fever" and are trying to up the share price. The "bubble" has burst and they are marching back into the past, which, never works. Actually, with all the new rules, regs, & fees, they are on a treadmill to oblivion. And Google, Yahoo, & Microsoft - all are watching.......

Good reference books for this type of assessment is:
Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles MacKay. Also, Manias, Crashes, and Panics by Charles Kindleberger.

No one will agree with all the examples given in these books. I don't, at least, but the main mental processes for this type of assessment are clearly delineated.

Caiyros

Beech
active contributor
active contributor

Another problem with Ebay, as I see it, is that they're catering to people who aren't the average person anymore. You know the sellers I mean: the ones who buy pallets of items that are cheaply made and are kept in a warehouse somewhere. You'll see them in the jewelry, household items (just look at all the "generic windchimes") etc. It's not people who are selling their own things anymore, it's about people trying to make a living. Ebay supports those types of stores and it's ruining them (my own opinion).

Cryptic_twilight313
acclaimed member
acclaimed member

I agree with you completely broken_beech!

...black engulfs the dying light as he falls on frail wings of vanity and wax..

Return to “For eBay Sellers”