You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: volkh
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Bahliayree
Zodiac:

Adept?

and what about persons titles such as apprentice or journeyman, etc.. are those commonly used in certain aspects?

what about charmer?
crone in practical usage?

is hag used in this day in some societies as a term of respect for magickal worker? from my moon magick book by conway: "the word "hag" may have come from the Egyptian word heq, meaning a matriarchal ruler who knew magickal words of power."

cheerz,

::leprechaun::

AmnR

SAGE LYON AZURE

Get some R&R. Everyday, Receive new truth and Reunite yourself.
Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I second "Auntie". It's a Very common usage in my family. Unlike the initial poster, it does not have negative connotations to us.

I noticed you have Necromancer... would Medium count as a seperate designation? (most mediums think they do)

I'd also like to hear people's interpretations of Spiritualist.

Witch can cover alot of ground and can include Traditional (there's lots of those), Hedge witch, Kitchen witch, or even Fam Trad (often considered mythical).

jellybean
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 75
Spelled Number: 150
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Rainbow Walker
Zodiac:

:think: Lightworker?

~ Jane

:pirate2: :pirate2: PROUD TO BE A PIRATE :pirate2: :pirate2:
Maythen21
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 15
Spelled Number: 30
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Since no one else has posted their definitions here's mine.

I'm only going to address those items for which I have a specific definition. I am not a linguist, and have no skill with that, so finding sources isn't my strong suit. Instead remember that this is my opinion, and I make no claim to expertise.

Alchemist - I have a very medieval vision in my head for this one. To me alchemists were the first scientists, the first metallurgists, chemists, and physicists. Now I view it as someone whose blending science and metaphysics in a disciplined fashion. I've met very few of these in actual practice. Think Tesla, Mr. Wizard, or Wacky Scientist. Tend to be a little obsessed, skirt safety protocols, and break rules.

Auntie (I added this one) - I'm using the Family definitions here. Pronounced "ahwn tea". This is used as an honorific, generally implying this person is adopted into the group. Pretty much anyone identified as Family that gets involved in training or story telling. There are "Uncles" and "'nuncles" as well, but it's less formal and less common in my personal experience. (we tend to be fairly matrilineal)

Conjurer - One who conjures spirits. Generally identified as a high magick practitioner with formal training. Does not carry any moral implication. Should be responsible for what they conjure and the results of the interaction.

Diviner - Anyone who employs a method of divination. Most common would be tarot, tea leaves, entrails, pendulum, scrying, or runes. A Diviner is not the same as a Seer. A diviner employs a physical method for their symbolism. A Diviner may bear responsibility of delivering negative or unwanted news. Refusing to impart the results of divination accurately is a very big no-no.
(A Well Diviner is another term for Water Witch or Dowser, which is a whole different skill set.)

Druid - This is a follower of a specific religion. I'm not a follower and have limited experience but it holds no negative connotation.

Healer - Anyone who employs their talents towards healing. Health care providers, reiki practitioners, massage therapists, animal therapists, healing touch, and acupuncture all fall under this heading. Healing is not a path for the weak, but it is honored and clean.

High Priestess/High Priest - Formal religious designation, usually used in a group setting. Can refer to self dedication to a particular Deity.

Houngan/Mambo - Voodoo religious designation. Similar in function to a Pastor or High Priest/ess. Often maligned due to cultural misunderstanding and prejudice.

Magician - Illusionist. A magician is a showman, and makes no bones about how "real" it may or may not be. This is for fun, for entertainment. Think Siegfried and Roy.

Medium (I added this one) - One who communicates specifically with the dead. Some throw Channelers in here too, and some do fit the definition. There are Mental Mediums and Physical Mediums. This title has taken some savage abuse due to frauds, and continues to take quite a bit of flack in some circles. Gained mainstream media attention recently with Crossing Over TV show. For a fun theatrical peek rent the old movie Hell House, not too bad an interpretation.

Medicine Man/Woman - This is a specific designation of a Native American pathway. I personally feel the word has been the victim of cultural misappropriation for some time. But I have had the honor to meet a few of these, and the steady strength was heady.

Mystic - Dreamer, thinker. Subtext ; doesn't actually do anything But think and dream.

Necromancer - Under Family definition this is ANYONE whose gift involves the dead, including mediums. The more common definition splits it into methods employed. Working Wet means this practitioner employs some of the less socially acceptable practices. There are a great deal of cautions against Wet Work as it's a path that tends to lead one into some Very dark roads and the way back can be equally treacherous. Resurrecitionists and Sin Eaters fall under this heading. Dry Work or Soft Work is considered more acceptable. Mediums, those who see ghosts, spirit singers, or most roads that don't involve pain, blood, or grave desecration land here. Dry workers are less restricted and considered less likely to fall to negative inclinations. However, any preoccupation with the dead places one under suspicion as we are incarnated in the living world. A Necromancer has, if you will pardon the pun, a grave responsibility to both the dead and the living. The Necromancer navigates the realms between the living and the dead for the benefit of both sides.

Oracle - I like the classical Greek definition; a person or agency considered to be a source of wise counsel or prophetic predictions or precognition of the future, inspired by the gods. As such it is a form of divination. It's the Divine Inspiration that denotes an Oracle. It can also be considered a form of Channeling. Again, has taken some hits due to fraud. From personal experience Oracles are almost exclusively female, although I have no solid idea why. The single exception was a very feminine young man, that self identified as a woman despite his physical anatomy.

Psychic - this one is a kitchen sink. So bland as to lack much definition. Anyone who has "a little something" can lay claim to this.

Seer - One who has/experiences/endures visions, impressions, or dreams that reveal events otherwise impossible to know. This generally denotes a person who sees the future. But retro-cognition (seeing the past) can also occur and events can be occurring in real time too. Often ignored and slandered, learning how to interpret the personal sybology is often a life long pursuit. A difficult gift to bear.

Shaman - Essentially the same as Medicine Man/Woman but doesn't have to be Native American. Aboriginal shamans are one example.

Summoner - Similar to Conjurer but implies the practitioner uses coercive means. Although this can indicate a spirit worker, more often a self identified Summoner is working high magick rituals with Angelic and Demonic entities. Requires training and a great deal of discipline. Negative connotation.

Warlock - Means oath-breaker, Very negative connotation in the Wiccan community. Sometimes incorrectly used to refer to a male who is a witch.

Witch - Follower of nature based often goddess centric religious practice. Wiccan and Witch are no longer interchangeable. Once a Very negative word, efforts since the 1960's have made quite a bit of headway in reclaiming this word, and it's losing the green face and warts image.

Bellatrix Lestrange
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shinigami
Zodiac:

creepyhollows wrote:Any more suggestions before we get into the definitions?
I guess we can add definitions now :D

High Priestess/High Priest - One, or a pair who has attained a tradition's highest degrees of initiation and may even possibly lead a coven..

Lady or Lord - The Lord and Lady stood before the Celestial Altar,
Facing the High Priestess, who was seen but not seen,
heard but not heard,
the stars were Her gown, a nebula was Her cloak, and the Milky Way Her headdress,
swirling around Her head.

The Lord and Lady, were smiling shyly, for this was Imbolc,
The Sacred day,
The Joyous day,
The day that They would become one.

The Lord and Lady are Deities, not symbols (though some Wiccans see them as symbols.) Wicca is a religion first, and a magickal system second. The Lord and Lady of Wicca are also known as the Goddess and the Horned God, or by secret names specific to each coven or tradition. Also, the High Priest and High Priestess in initiated coven traditions are given the title Lord and Lady, because they represent the God and Goddess during the ritual in a similar way that a Catholic priest represents Christ during the Mass.

Soliatry wiccan/or practitioner even.. - Is simply a Wiccan who practices on their own, without the aid of a Coven. Usually referred to as a kitchen witch..Or solitary practitioner..Solitary practitioner is a person who practices their religion alone, without a group. The most common religion of a solitary practitioner is specifically Wiccan or other Neo-Pagan Witch. The term solitary practitioner is often heard in Wiccan and Neo-Pagan Witch communities...Or you can simply shorten it to solitary.. A practitioner of magic who is currently working alone, or a title for a practitioner of magic that usually works alone.

Strega - Strega is the italian word for witch..Strega, a group of pagan magic..
Stregheria, or the Strega tradition of modern Italian Wiccan-styled witchcraft..Or a female practitioner of Stregoneria..

pow wa shaman - A person having access to, and influence in, the world of spirits, esp. among some peoples of northern Asia and North America.

Green people - A green person/witch specializing in the earthen world. A green witch is most coomonly female, practices solitarily, and is most likely to be Pagan. Green witches know much about the identities, myths, care, etc of plantlife and seek to preserve it. They attempt to connect with the earthen world with New Age methods such as meditating. They acknowledge magic and use it in tune with natural forces to accomplish a goal, aka using witchcraft. These goals may include, but are not limited to healings, protectings, blessings. Green witches are also very knowledgable in herbalism.

Conjerer - Is many things..A witch doctor who practices conjury,Conjuration in traditional and most contemporary usage refers to a magical act of invoking spirits or using incantations or charms to cast magical spells. In the context of legerdemain, And most unfortunate most known to the performance of illusion or magic tricks for show..

Lamia - Most people hear strega and lamia in supernatural to be beats which is most most unfortunate... Translated in hebrew this is used for one of the many names Lilith has..Sometimes Lamia is referred in latin as well for lilith.. witch lamiae..Hag..

Enchantress - A woman who uses magic or sorcery, esp. to put someone or something under a spell,a woman versed in magical arts; a sorceress; and also, a woman who fascinates :silly:

Waerloga (old irish) Basically Warlock.. Though sometimes used to refer to a witch who has betrayed another witch in one way or another to some cultures of magick,example...Call a wiccan man he is a warlock he will most likely be displeased...As a lot of wicca is based on old celtic,irish tales,legends,magick...And is an insulting term..And then there are other definitions for warlock which are not offensive,A man who practices witchcraft; a sorcerer. enchanter etc...

Houngan (male version of voodoo mambo) Houngan is a term for a male priest in Haitian Vodou a female priest is known as a mambo. The name is derived from the Fon word "hùn gan". There are two ranks of houngan, houngan asogwe which is high priest.. And houngan sur pwen,which is a junior priest... A houngan asogwe is the highest member of clergy in voodoo and the only one with authority to ordain other priests...

It is the houngan's role to preserve the rituals and songs and maintain the relationship between the spirits and the community as a whole,though some of this is the responsibility of the whole community as well... Very high honor and duty..They are also entrusted with leading the service of all of the spirits of their lineage. Sometimes they may also be bokor..Which is a sorcerer..

Mambo...Is a female as opposed to the Houngan, or male High Priest in the Vodou religion in Haiti... They are the highest form of clergy in the religion, whose responsibility much like the houngan is to preserve the rituals and songs and maintain the relationship between the spirits and the community..For a Mambo there is also Mambo asogwe and Mambo sur pwen :D

ImageImage
ღƸ̴Ӂ̴ƷღIღloveღyouღGrellღSutcliffღƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒღ Image
Bellatrix Lestrange
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Edit is gone...But to add a mambo can also have the choice much like a houngan with authority to ordain other priests/priestess :D

ImageImage
Bellatrix Lestrange
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

This is fun,and i learned new titles. :D

ImageImage
Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

I'll try to add what i know about some of these. Please note: I do not know everything about all of them and do not claim to hold the complete truth either, so my words are little fragments of what i know and some descriptions will be incomplete where others will know far more.

Alchemist

Someone who studies Alchemy. I don't claim to be an expert on Alchemy, but the branches of Alchemy i know of are the classic kind (think philosophers stone and turning lead into gold), and Inner Alchemy, which is a method of self transformation of the spiritual and sometimes physical bodies for betterment of self and spiritual growth. The earliest that i know of, of alchemy, dates back to Hermes Trimegestus(sp?) and the emerald tablet. This tablet supposedly gave the secret to obtaining the philosophers stone. A lot of ancient alchemy is written in riddles though. Modern day alchemists mostly practice a variation of inner alchemy and i believe it is connected to the pursuit of immortality, self awareness and wisdom.

Druid
The word Dru means Oak. The old irish word uid means "observation, perception, knowledge" and Druid generally means Oak Knowledge or thorough Knowledge. That should say something about druids and their beliefs immediately in respect to how they thought of trees and the wisdom that could be garnered from them. The druids were huge oral traditionalists and repeated their practices down through oral and word of mouth far before anything was transcribed and written into word. Practices of modern day druids probably differ considerably from ancient druids but most of them, i believe conform to celtic traditions that are adapted for the modern era. I do not know much else to add here but i'm sure there is a lot more.

Conjurer

Practitioners that conjure spirits or living entities. *points to Magnolia and Ash*

Diviner

Don't know much about, someone who uses dvination techniques to gain information concerning matters of the future. There are numerous divination techniques that exist.

Healer

Someone who practices a form of healing whether spiritual or physical. There are many different types of healing and the subject is rather broad.

Mystic

A Mystic can hold a lot of connotations to it. What is interesting about Mystics is that arguably all prophets, sages, seer and oracles will most likely be Mystics too...but not all Mystics will be any of these as well. So it can be difficult to define this without branching of into some of the traits of the others mentioned. A mystic is someone who looks inward to garner a lot of their knowledge.

Seer

A Seer will use psychic abilities to garner information about the future and will usually be someone who is simply gifted with visions of pre-cognition. Can sometimes use tools such as crystal balls.

Prophet

A prophet is a controversial one. A prophet in my opinion is best defined as similar to a mystic and can have many of the other traits from other titles such as healer and sage. The difference between a prophet though is that they have chosen to pursue a life of teaching and guiding people with their wisdom they have gained. There are some extremely famous prophets that have started religions and wars have practically been fought over their teachings. I maintain the stance though that no matter how talented a prophet may have been, his/her teachings will never be the one truth that everybody seeks and there are some people who will just never except that. In simple terms they are people who spread their opinion or knowledge as word and attract followers who remain faithful to their doctrine.

Psychic

Someone who gathers information through non-physical senses. A rather general term. Clairaudience, Clairsentience, and Clairvoyance are the most well known psychic abilities. Closely linked to Medium.

I'm tired and going to stop there. I'm sorry and probably could have described some of these better and it came out kind of cookie-cutter. Also a lot of it is incomplete. I'll see if i can do some more tomorrow. :)

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

My understanding...

Alchemist -
One who studies and practices Alchemy, which is a process of transfiguration. Alchemy can be applied in many situations, though it's original usage is known in transforming precious metals.

Enchanter/Enchantress -
One who practices castings, spellwork - usually through light manipulation.

High Priestess/High Priest -
Devotee of a deity who oversees all rites related to this worship. Channels power through god or goddess in performing rituals and mystical feats.

Mage -
A learned magician, more serious term for magician.

Magician -
If applied in the occult sense - one who works with magic, usually low magick.

Mystic -
(Will just copy and add to what I posted here earlier)
True Mysticism would be relating to power and wisdom gathered from divine occult sources.. ancient mysteries, ritualism tied into this - and manifested often through inner discovery or very penetrating exploration of beyond leading to such insight/deeper processing. Uniting with the force of the "unseen". There is a way about it that links to or oversees some of the other titles (mostly those of spirituality), but still unique in and of itself.

Necromancer -
One who works with the dead/spiritual realm/underworld deities and entities in mystical or magickal practices.
(Additionally I like how Maythen explained this).

Oracle -
One bearing divine knowledge, acting as a medium offering insight on all matters from some greater force.

Prophet -
Usually of a religious connotation, divine visionary - granted knowledge on what is to come.

Psychic -
One utilizing senses beyond the five most familiar of human perception.

Sage -
One connected with all things who offers great wisdom through experience and intuitive connection.

Seer -
One who receives visions or is able to look into events or lives.

Shaman -
Guide between the visible and invisible, usually realm of spirits and the living - piercing the veil to bring divination, or magick.

Sorcerer/Sorceress -
One who wields great power in magick and has garnered respect of natural forces to enhance effect, or works with higher magick and ritualism.

Warlock -
Male practitioner of witchcraft, typically advanced/untouched practices - not necessarily darker, but advanced pursuits involve this realm and one of this type considered may be consumed/corrupted due to the improper pursuance. Segregation comes to mind.

Witch -
Female practitioner of witchcraft, nature of it varies.

Witch Doctor -
One with ability/knowledge to aid, cure, and protect through "magickal" concoction and force gathered from the elements or beyond.

Wizard -
Male wielder of magic, nature of it varies.

I skipped some, didn't feel like addressing them and there are other fine definitions already noted here.

Return to “METHODOLOGIES”