active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 70
Your favorite spirit to work with: all my spirits
If I could be anything, I would be...: Nixie
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: My own name is magical enough.
Zodiac:

psychosiz wrote: If you look at Genesis and translate it using its original language, Hebrew, you may discover something that turns the bible in a completely different direction. I have had many great debates with other theologians about this over the years.
Intersting! what exactly is that something?

I know a few years back when the DaVinci Code came out, some folks I know were deeply offended by the idea that Mary Magdalene and Jesus might have been a couple. Some friends of mine advised me not to read the book, thinking I'd be offended or disturbed. Well, if Jesus walked the Earth as a mortal, I guess it's understandable that he should have experience life as any mortal. It makes sense.

What bothers me in fact is having a celibate priest or monk who insists that people should take his advice on married life, raising kids, or dealing with unruly teenagers. You would not believe the nonsense the Orthodox church preaches about family life - here, priests are married, but there are a lot of monks who serve as "spiritual advisors".

Lorelei
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Oh, well! Gematria is a really interesting read for sure. All the connections (downright occult and magical) between YWHW, Elohim, Jesus, and Greek mithology are fascinating! At university one of my philosophy courses was a semester-long independent study on the concept of Logos in Christianity and in philosophy. That was probably the coolest course I've taken.

Instrument of the end fire083
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 28
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything willing
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elven
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Melindrose
Zodiac:

The priests were never meant to be celibate, monks I'm not so sure about nor am I sure about nuns. It was a decision by the pope at some point that family's were too much a burden and that none shall be allowed to marry after they have become a priest. The only exception to that now that I'm aware of is if you are married already and chose to become a priest.

All my freestyle dancing is essentially magic
To be the left hand of a god.
Lorelei
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Orthodox priests are supposed to be married. Monks and nuns on the other hand, go directly against the Bible. Jesus says in the NT that one should NOT separate/remove yourself from the world in order to be holier.

Instrument of the end fire083
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 28
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything willing
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elven
My magical/paranormal name...: Melindrose
Zodiac:

true, but being spiritual and holy are two totally different things, Buddhist monks for example usually aren't married, not really holier but defiantly more spiritual.

All my freestyle dancing is essentially magic
To be the left hand of a god.
Lorelei
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

I agree. There are many nuns and monks who ARE indeed very spiritual, I'm not discrediting them. There are also many who are not nuns or monks, who are also very spiritual people. That's not the issue.

However, the NT actually rejects the practice of "separating oneself from the world", i.e. monastic life, for the purpose of living a holier life. Running away from the temptations of the world has no merit in itself. Living in the world while being able to actually fight those temptations and keep oneself pure is what makes one holy and spiritual, in the NT sense.

Lorelei
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

One issue actually that I keep seeing come up is the church's view on married life. I have had to explain this to a massive number of people who lived with guilt because their priest or spiritual advisor/confessor monk told them that sex between a husband and a wife is only acceptable for procreation reasons. In theory, a couple's entire sex life could be over in one week if they get pregnant right away.

Some Orthodox priests actually go even further, insisting that sex is not allowed on some days of the week - not on Sundays (God's holy day), not on Mondays, (right after service took place in church), not on Tuesdays or Fridays (fasting days), not on Wednesdays (service in church day), not on Thursdays (Judas betrayed Jesus on a Thursday), and not on Saturdays (the day before God's holy day)... yup. One of my relatives was deeply disturbed about this and fighting with her husband all the time - because she wanted to be holy and thought she had to follow everything the priest told her to, and her husband loved and desired her.

So here's the thing: the Sermon on the Mount says there are only two reasons a husband and wife may abstain from sex:
1. if both of them agree to, and
2. if the abstinence is for a short, limited period of time.

Jesus actually makes a point and says refusing sex with your spouse is not the way to be holier.

Alitus_Ab_Corde
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 38
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vamp
If I could be anything, I would be...: Guardian Angel
My magical/paranormal name...: Alitus Ab Corde
Zodiac:

Being raised Catholic I shall chime in if you all don't mind :)

I personally believe, that the spiritual path and the religious path go hand in hand, though for some reason there are varying views which I see as not contradiction but hipocrisy. After all, what is belief to begin with if nothing more than a personal opinion at its root.

Christian prayer vs spells work:
They are essentially one in the same. The focus of intent of ones energy towards a desired outcome. Plain and simple.

Spiritual enlightenment / awakening:
Christ himself preached that the importance of the spirit and it's enlightenment to its importance superceding that of the physical brings into question where should one stop growing in spirit? The simple answer is one should strive to grow in spirit every day of the physical life as the physical life is only a fraction of the eternal existence which we came from and where we are going back to once this brief physical exisistence ends.

Conversing and contact with spirits:
Being Catholic we believe in the intercession of the saints. People who were once living humans that now reside on the other side who will assist us with anything from specific tasks to even help us get our wishes and prayers to the throne of God. This is a perfect example of spirit communication.

Believe in the Human Soul:
As Christians (Yes, Catholics are Christian) we believe in the existence of a soul. One that was created long before the creation of the physical world, one that will live on after the physical life and one that is immortal due to the fact of an eternal outcome.

There ate many more comparisons I could use but I think I've made my point.

But one thing I must mention is this. Not ALL Catholics are equal in their beliefs. In fact, it is factually impossible for two individuals to believe in exactly 100% the same thing. Christianity, and every other belief system is fundamentally up to the individual as far as beliefs are concerned. Just look at the spiritual community as a perfect example. Yes, there may be common threads, but ultimately it is the individual that weaves their own personal belief system.

As human beings with free will we have an individual spiritual path unlike any others. Christianity is no different. Yes, there are some who see fit to judge others, but ultimately Jesus Christ himself, the Son of God per Christian belief even said "He who has no sin cast the first stone" meaning, to my belief, that to judge another is to cast your own iniquity upon another unjustly. And what was Christ's most prominent message? Compassion. But since we are so much more than our physical existence, so compassion is not limited to that of just this physical world.

Does spirit keeping contradict Christianity? My personal belief is no, not at all.

After all, according to Christianity, who created all things seen and unseen? God.

According to Christianity, God is a part of everything God created.

To embrace the spiritual path is to embrace the core essence that exists in ALL religions.

But once again, it all comes down to personal belief, which is nothing more than simply a personal opinion.

There is only one true belief system and that is the individual belief system. Your own personal relationship within.

Hope this makes sense. And please remember, one thing we ALL have in common is this; YOU are your own decision maker. Even God chose NOT to force a specific belief upon anyone with the creation of free will. Each one of us have a thirst for knowledge and an unlimited amount of learning. We all are on one path, the path to spiritual awareness. As many people who have ever lived or will live is the number of paths journeyed.

I will end this with words spoken by Jesus himself in the new testament ;
(Paraphrased of course)
"Love others as I have loved you"

"Seek and you shall find"

Regarding the miracles associated with him:

" These things and greater you shall do"

And the philosophy I live my life by:
Treat others as you would like to be treated

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pectus pectoris est meus rector
KOLA (brother of Starfire), and proud brother of endymionfate

"I got bones beneath my skin, and mister, there's a skeleton in every man's house. Beneath the dust, and love and sweat that hang on everybody, there's a dead man trying to get out"
Lorelei
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Well put, Alitus.

Luminoire
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0

->Alitus
être d'accord

Return to “Spirit Keeping”