CARRIE (2013)

Votes & reviews of paranormal media including movies, books, poetry, music, etc
Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
Zodiac:

As a fan of the original, and with no feelings at all about the initial remake..
this was very well done. Excellent even.

I know horror buffs and movie lovers alike are like *groan* another remake of a perfectly decent film? Well yeah, but at least they knew what they were doing here.. I had good feelings as soon as I saw Julianne Moore would be in it..

Didn't overstep, didn't fall short, did enhance the terror of the original story..
Moore was perfectly disturbing as the dementedly overbearing, religiously afflicted mother..
The role of Carrie was truly done justice by Chloë Grace Moretz, who I've liked in other films as well and is a rather promising young actress compared to most today. She was startling and on point.

Of course, older films have a particular appeal that can never be recreated.. a particular creepiness in subtleties..
but as an update, utilizing visually striking modern elements of horror this was just a great, and sometimes brutal film to watch. I really enjoyed it.

And what's best is the same, supernatural eeriness lingered in the icon of Carrie.. following her demise. The feeling that she would not rest (and not just because of the visual at the very end, this only dramatized what we should already be sensing).
Her tragedy is superseded by her raw, untamed power.. though the whole point of the film is that they go hand in hand to create a lethal cocktail..

I would only say that the brief court scene following the major events of the movie, the 'explanation' was unnecessary. I could think of other, more symbolic ways that I would have liked it to end. But I definitely love seeing her grave and the endless cycle of torture represented.

So yeah, there's my review.. Carrie is cool.. telekinesis gone terribly wrong, what more do you want in a classic paranormal flick..

randalthor
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
My super power would be...: Super speed

Thank you for that! Was going to watch it next week anyway. but I had read the book about five, maybe six years ago and another reason for me to see it is Chloe Moretz. I saw Kick-Ass 2 opening night and when the trailer for Carrie began, I was so excited I exclaimed, 'It's Chloe!' though I meant to say 'It's Carrie.' So . . . correcting myself I said, 'I meant "It's Chloe.'" Slap forehead. At that point I just gave up.

Instrument of the end fire083
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 28
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything willing
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elven
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Melindrose
Zodiac:

so wanna see this film

All my freestyle dancing is essentially magic
To be the left hand of a god.
Truth_Seeker
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: I'm not sure.
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Satyr.
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Sorrow
Zodiac:

One of the best movies ever created :thumbup:

Syri
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Rich
My magical/paranormal name...: H
Zodiac:

I'll watch it when it comes to cable. If you didn't post this I wouldn't watch it so I'm glad you did. :thumbup:

Sincerely,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Weirdo Syri,aka "The Crazy Cat Lady" :mrgreen: Friend of all things dark

randalthor
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
My super power would be...: Super speed

Did watch it today! :meme: It was riveting. The only real flaw was in the closer moment just before credits to which Noctifera made reference. However that could easily be cut from the film and it was probably the studio's idea as the movie was recut by the studio after Kimberly Peirce cut. And while I would say that it felt like nothing was really missing from the movie, I would love to see that other footage, especially if it's good, incorporated back into the film for the director's cut (without that brief second I made reference to already). There is always a question of how long a span a movie covers. Months can be compacted into minutes and so more footage of Carrie developing her telekinesis might put it into perspective. Chloe was spectacular, entirely convincing and the performances were believable.

It is just shy of a masterpiece. I don't know if most horror movie goers would appreciate it--it doesn't seem that they have--but it is more for those appreciate skillful storytelling which will certainly appeal to the intelligent amongst horror movie fandom. :thumbup:

Return to “Paranormal Media Review”