neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Immortal
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Xelan the Embodiment of Light

I'm interested in getting my first spirit, which one can be a good starter? I also would like to know where I can get it from, I would prefer not to pay a lot because judging from sellers it can be expensive! If someone can list the characteristics of some popular spirits, that would be helpful in choosing what's right for me (example, an Angel is depicted with a nurturing nature and is full of positive energy, easy to get along with). I'm rather new to this so be descriptive please. Is it possible to find a stray spirit and somehow bind it by myself? Don't be shy, give me some advice! :D

"Choose not an existing path, make your own path and leave a trail behind (for others)." Xelan

"What lies before you (now) is a shadow of what lies ahead of you." Xelan

"Nature's secret is patience, may it be your specialty." Xelan

"It's not about predicting the future, it's about making it happen." Xelan
RubyHeart
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 9
Spelled Number: 11
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragon,Youkai,Ki-Lin
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

I got my first spirit in the CH shop - they have a 1 cent deal meant for people new to spirit keeping. Why not look into that? :) Check the New to Creepy Hollows section. If you get that, the only real cost is shipping, which isn't much. It comes with a spirit or spell if your choice, a stone to help you connect with it, and a charging pouch. And you get a free item with every order - check the freebie section.

As for which one to get - go with what calls to you. Research what interests you. :) I got a ki-lin for my first spirit, which I didn't really go into wanting in the first place. But it felt right to me, and they have been a part of my life ever since.

Home to a ki-lin, ivory dragon, sapphire dragon, amber dragon, quartz dragon, were-leopard, youkai, nitral, drow elf, and a couple unbounds...
RubyHeart
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 9
Spelled Number: 11
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragon,Youkai,Ki-Lin
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

That came out kinda weird :lol: I meant that I wasn't really looking for a ki-lin, but it spoke to me as my first choice. I wonder why I can't edit like I normally can? Hmm..

But anyway - look through the encyclopedia and see what sounds good to you. :) You can check around the forum for experiences with the spirit you are interested in as well.

Home to a ki-lin, ivory dragon, sapphire dragon, amber dragon, quartz dragon, were-leopard, youkai, nitral, drow elf, and a couple unbounds...
shadowdust
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 27
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: I don't know
My magical/paranormal name...: I dont have a magical name
Zodiac:

Tell a bit more about what you want/need so we can know which one is good for you. :)

Xelan
neophyte
neophyte

HouraiConjurer wrote:I got my first spirit in the CH shop - they have a 1 cent deal meant for people new to spirit keeping. Why not look into that? :) Check the New to Creepy Hollows section. If you get that, the only real cost is shipping, which isn't much. It comes with a spirit or spell if your choice, a stone to help you connect with it, and a charging pouch. And you get a free item with every order - check the freebie section.

As for which one to get - go with what calls to you. Research what interests you. :) I got a ki-lin for my first spirit, which I didn't really go into wanting in the first place. But it felt right to me, and they have been a part of my life ever since.
I didn't know about the 1 cent deal, that was very informative! I'll look into that, many thanks :D Congrats on your ki-lin, I'm sure you're very happy with it! I don't really understand when a spirit 'calls' to me, how does that work? Is it a passive intuition feeling?
shadowdust wrote:Tell a bit more about what you want/need so we can know which one is good for you. :)
I think a friendly and straight forward one would be perfect, a spirit that can manifest itself would be very fun to have! Since it will be my first one, the spirit should be easy to take care of and work well with other spirits/humans that are in the same household. I have an affinity for Angels but I won't let that limit my search.

This is a side question and is a bit off topic, but my parents and others living with me are skeptics when it comes to the paranormal and may consider it 'satanic', how can I convince them to buy me a spirit? I was thinking of binding one myself for this reason.

"Choose not an existing path, make your own path and leave a trail behind (for others)." Xelan

GraceTaisie
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 5
Spelled Number: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: New to this
If I could be anything, I would be...: fairy
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: GraceTaisie
Zodiac:

Whatever you get....you should get it here. These people are very good!
I needed protection so I got the Triad with a Volkh, Fylgia and Duojna. Then I got an Angel and a Djinn.
Your first spirit depends on your needs and what you desire in your first friend.
Next, I'm gonna get one that is social and active.

Aternity of Darkness
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 3
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dark Art Spirits
If I could be anything, I would be...: Mix of All DA
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Dark Shadow

Customs are good from CH, or reverse adoptions, check them out at the CH store.

“It is inevitable that some defeat will enter even the most victorious life. The human spirit is never finished when it is defeated...it is finished when it surrenders.”

blackwolfwitch
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 120
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: ifrit djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: werewolf
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Szaria

My first spirits were a weretiger and a werewolf pup. They both just pulled me! I couldn't pick just one lol. But just look around and see what draws you, you might be surprised!

Arkansas Bayou Witch
Voidwalker
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 336
Spelled Number: 720
Your favorite spirit to work with: Things that go bump

aternity wrote:Customs are good from CH, or reverse adoptions, check them out at the CH store.
I definitely agree that reverse adoptions are really cool, esp. when one is unsure about which spirit to invite into one's life. Two spirits that may be of interest for you are Keshalyi and Arkan Sonney. You can find info on both in the Encyclopedia.

That is not dead which can eternal lie : And with strange aeons even death may die.

Then rose the seed of Chaos, and of Night,
To blot out order and extinguish light.

Yet from those flames
No light, but rather darkness visible.
Xelan
neophyte
neophyte

I also would like to know what 'bridging' is, from my understanding it's when you bind a spirit to yourself? (correct me if I'm wrong) so what is the difference with or without bridging, will anything change with it? Is it permanent, can it be removed if I don't want it? For people who successfully bridged themselves are there benifits? Thanks in advance!!

Return to “Spirit Keeping”