Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire or Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon or Vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Samarkand(Given by a friend who is really big into this kinda stuff)

Hi! I just joined this whole "spirit keeping" scene. It seems like an interesting thing and I would like to give it a try! But I'm not sure how or where to start, so would someone mind helping me understand this a little better?

Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

The encyclopedia is a good place to start. Pretty much all this is recommended reading.http://www.creepyhollows.com/faq/index. ... how&cat=21

And all the stickied topics in the newbie section is also recommended reading.
http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=263

If you're completely new to the paranormal it is best to dip your feet in with a WA(white art) spirit. Also a good idea would be to practice meditation and slowing yourself down which is the best way to make a start at communication abilities with your spirits. :thumbup:
A good idea would be to read and learn as much as you can so you get the best idea of what you're in for and what experiences you may expect.

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
BlazeTigerNahti
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 3
Your favorite spirit to work with: I love a ton of them
My magical/paranormal name...: Twilight, Blaze & NightBlood are some of my favorite ones

I would also like to add that you should learn Shielding and how to do Circles
Learning to keep safe is the best way to have a great experience and to have a good foundation to grow from

Also, I would suggest starting with someone who can help you stay safe (Dragons, Gryphons and so on)

I personally started with a Djinn (DA "Dark Arts" Which Means they are Grey in nature, which means they can choose to be good or to do bad. Humans are also classed DA) and he helped me a ton, and still does

1 more thing is, have faith in your crew. You might not be able to hear or see them right off the bat, but they are there

Good Luck, and welcome to being a Keeper! ;)

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Yahweh Sabaoth for ever.
Wenona
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 165
Spelled Number: 50
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Wenona
Zodiac:

To help with protection i would suggest either a Volkh or Courtwind Angel to start out with, both WA spirits and use the circle of sea salt for protection while you learn other methods.
Black Tourmaline and Smokey Quartz crystals will also help you stay safe and grounded while you learn other ways.

A good first time spirit for a complete newbie i think would be a Bronwyn Angel, they can help you with just about anything you need help with to get you started and ease you into things.

And i agree with Blaze on this...
1 more thing is, have faith in your crew. You might not be able to hear or see them right off the bat, but they are there
Most of all read all you can!...there's tons of info here in the forum.

And finally...have fun! 1la

Wenona <3
AlaunarNoctis
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: My friends of course
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire

This forum is full of useful information about communication, offerings, protection, etc. I also recommend learning how to shield and protect yourself. And practicing meditation is probably one of the most useful tools in improving your skills with communication and your natural insight.
As for spirits, it's up to you what you bring home. Go with what you're drawn to. Whatever spirit you're interested in, do research on them and prepare yourself! I don't agree that 'WA' is the natural "starter" for people. Many, like myself, accompany themselves with DA in the beginning. It is up to you and I look forward to reading more posts from you.

I got lost in his eyes, and his ponytail.
Huffette
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 2000
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: A Throne Angel
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Blessed by Angels
Zodiac:

welcome. Ask questions. Look in the encyclopedia and shop for help. Also, if a spirit calls to you, you have the choice of whether to bring it home or leave it for someone else.

Huffette
Mommy to four haunted ladies and friend to many bound and unbound spirits and entities.
Called "little one" by the angels
rdev
new here
new here
You are...: a practitioner
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragons
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Jervis
Zodiac:

Good luck!!!

Prinsiippi
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 63
Zodiac:

I think you have gotten great advice here with may viewpoints. If you are unsure wich spirit to choose, some of the more social white arts spirits would be what I'd go for. Some species are more talkative than some others. Volkhs are not very social, for example, they are guardians first and foremost. But if you feel drawn to some species, be they white arts or dark arts, that is great and you should follow that feeling.

Also remember the penny offer for newbies to CH:http://shop.creepyhollows.com/home.php?cat=299

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”