the Maya's - a bigger civilization that originally thought?

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 41
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire

the Maya's - a bigger civilization that originally thought?

Postby Fireshadow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 90626.html

so I just watched a documantary on National Geographic, about Maya Snake Kings... and they were talking about discoveries. How they used some Laserthing, in the Jungle of Guatemala, to discover more about Mayan cities... with the Laser and some computer work they could put some pictures in 3d on the screen, and then with some science they made all trees dissapear on the photo. So then they figured out that they just made the biggest discovery in 100 years. That the Mayan cities where far bigger than they originally thought. Basically there lived more than 20 million Maya's in those times... or something, like a very big number. Basically now thanks to this discovery, the Maya's can be written down in the list of oldest and most big civilizations of history, next or almost close to the Egyptian civilization of Farao's and pyramide's and papyrus.

But my question during this documentary was like... oh great, now I'm scared. Cause seriously, what happened afterwards that such a civilization ceased to exist? I always thought it's thanks to Columbus that the Mayans dissapeared, but now I'm just getting to understand that's it's clearly a mystery as what happened with the Mayans? And clearly it's a bigger mystery than the Lost colony, cause the lost colony was only a few of hunderd people... not 20 million? I mean... It's quite a scary thought that such a large number of people could just... dissapear or stop working? Or... I don't know. Does anyone has an idea or well, a friendly spirit from Mayan times who could explain more about it?

But one of my thoughts was during the time I watched this documentary, that there was NO jungle in the time that these cities trived? Because clearly how are you going to build a big city like let's say New York in a Jungle?

my companions/family:
spirits: 2 Marid, Hippogryph,Tiger, Grigori W, Fire Fae, Minotaur, Cleopatra Djinn, Leprechaun, Water Fae, 2 Unicorn, Crocotta, Anchestors: Vamp hybrid & Merman hybrid & Angel Hybrid, Cambion, Caberra, Nixie, Red Dragon, Atlantean Sang Vamp, Courtwind, Gargoyle, phoenix, pegasus, drow, gold djinn, culebron, ayla, wraith, siren, boggart, muddled-blood vamp, fylgia, mazou
entities: Kitsune, Incubus, Arkan Sonney, cribbleshank
Immortals: Aphrodite. Merlin.

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Your favorite spirit to work with: omnomnom
If I could be anything, I would be...: blingbling
My magical/paranormal name...: Blade Birch

Re: the Maya's - a bigger civilization that originally thought?

Postby darkwing dook » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:01 am

It's an amazing discoveries : D

About the jungle, over time nature (the jungle, sand, etc) would take over if no one stops it and the conditions allow it. Example is the pyramid buried in sand, or the most recent one is Fukushima:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rness.html

"Knowing a trifle about everything gives life more color." - Zhuge Liang
"Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use." - Wendell Johnson

Fight, Flight, Freeze, Fawn, Flooding, or Fatigue : P

WhimsicalSage
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Postby WhimsicalSage » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:32 pm

The Spanish wiped out the Aztecs. The Mayans were before this. As far as i'm aware, it was long since believed that the Mayans were swallowed by other cultures at the time. But really it's a mystery as to exactly what happened to them. I think there is several theories though but I can't remember them all off by heart.

Formerly known as Jumbo/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
"Destiny awaits us all." - The ghosts and technically me

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Postby Likes2Read » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:54 pm

I remember reading, in the year that the Mayan calendar was supposedly ending, that there are some indigenous people in South America whose response to "The Mayans disappeared" is something like laughter and "They think we disappeared". So there are people living today who are descended from Mayans. Now, what do THEY say their ancestors did? Maybe someone should ask them what happened after the ancients abandoned the cities in which they once lived. Maybe there is an explanation and we just haven't asked the right questions of the right people yet.

Given the way indigenous people were treated by the people who arrived on these shores, if I were them, I wouldn't feel compelled to volunteer anything about my culture or history to anyone outside the culture who didn't have the good sense to ask.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.

Fireshadow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 41
Spelled Number: 12
Your favorite spirit to work with: all of them
If I could be anything, I would be...: a vampire
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Probably something with Fire

Postby Fireshadow » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:55 am

Likes2Read wrote:I remember reading, in the year that the Mayan calendar was supposedly ending, that there are some indigenous people in South America whose response to "The Mayans disappeared" is something like laughter and "They think we disappeared". So there are people living today who are descended from Mayans. Now, what do THEY say their ancestors did? Maybe someone should ask them what happened after the ancients abandoned the cities in which they once lived. Maybe there is an explanation and we just haven't asked the right questions of the right people yet.

Given the way indigenous people were treated by the people who arrived on these shores, if I were them, I wouldn't feel compelled to volunteer anything about my culture or history to anyone outside the culture who didn't have the good sense to ask.

hm... you could be correct about that one. I mean in the end, there are still some people left whose anchestors or something were part of the Templars ( and they were supposed to be all killed by the Church and the French King). So yes, it's fairly possible that there are descendants of the Mayans, but would they know what happened?
Because when Columbus and all those after him went to colonise the New World, there were many things destroyed. The language for example... so the only tales we can hear about those, are told tales... but how many truth does a told tale hold?

my companions/family:
spirits: 2 Marid, Hippogryph,Tiger, Grigori W, Fire Fae, Minotaur, Cleopatra Djinn, Leprechaun, Water Fae, 2 Unicorn, Crocotta, Anchestors: Vamp hybrid & Merman hybrid & Angel Hybrid, Cambion, Caberra, Nixie, Red Dragon, Atlantean Sang Vamp, Courtwind, Gargoyle, phoenix, pegasus, drow, gold djinn, culebron, ayla, wraith, siren, boggart, muddled-blood vamp, fylgia, mazou
entities: Kitsune, Incubus, Arkan Sonney, cribbleshank
Immortals: Aphrodite. Merlin.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Postby Likes2Read » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:33 pm

In any culture whose history is handed down orally from one generation to the next, I would set a lot of store in any retelling they have of what their ancestors did, where they went, and why.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.

Return to “Discoveries”