Accuracy of paranormal depictions in writing/media

Votes & reviews of paranormal media including movies, books, poetry, music, etc
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

So about the paranormal depictions in media. What would be the most accurate in your opinion and why? I personally think anything that is closer to folklore vs ‘high fantasy’ would be most accurate.

It’s widely agreed by most people who discuss or debate that the Witcher franchise alongside Game of Thrones has the most accurate depictions.

Witcher explores the idea of what the paranormal would look like and how they would act if all those beings lived in the same world with us on a big scale, or how paranormal entities act - behave. It’s heavily based on traditional folklore. If you believe that ‘the veil’ did not exist in medieval times then the world would resemble as the Witcher universe depicts. Dragons are able to shapeshift and disguise themselves as humans to blend in, alongside Dopplers and humans are fearful or racist towards intelligent non-human beings sometimes.

Game of Thrones keeps the interaction that the paranormal has with the human world to a ‘realistic scale like now’ people argue.

Speaking of which I might have gotten a weird ‘reminder feeling’ of whatever kind of ‘world’ I resided in before this life, or have some familiarity with when I encountered the Witcher franchise. Idk?

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

So far as goes for Witcher the supernatural is very ‘real’ in the sense of being to the point where it’s also fairly physical. The ‘conjunction of spheres’ plot in the background describes how it came to be, when an event happened where paranormal beings and magic became physical.

The part in writing where beings from the otherside or ‘supernatural’ ones can only be touched by silver weapons, while ‘normal beings’ can be hurt by ordinary metal seems to be more likely ‘made up’ though.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

-Furthermore ‘Witchers’ in that franchise are essentially the counterpart to ‘slayers’ in our world (CH has conjures for those if you saw) that people can hire, but who had mutations applied to them (As a result are stripped of emotional empathy or certain emotions/ability to express them) so they’re no longer actually human. They have qualities such as superhuman strength from the mutations and are trained to hunt down (Not always, but sometimes just manage, drive out or negotiate with) what we would call BA entities or malicious DA entities causing people trouble.

Jumbo
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 36
Spelled Number: 25
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

It probably depends on what time period the world is in to discuss how accurate magick and paranormal is portrayed in media..... a lot of people now don't believe in it because it's not very flashy.

I would say that media has to entertain...therefore it's not always it's goal to portray things realistically, this includes even things like game of thrones and the witcher. 2cents

Formerly known as WhimsicalSage/ShadowSage

"A kind heart is better than a crafty head." - Manx Proverb
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." - Socrates
Kitsune
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demon,dragon,vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: My true self
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/topic54560.html

This should answer your question.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Kitsune wrote:http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/topic54560.html

This should answer your question.
This isn't about 'taking it as fact' or basing things off them though? It is more about which one portrays it the most realistically, or is the closest and why? Hence 'paranormal media review' (The forum), not trying to talk about basing any practices but for the general idea or opinion on that part.

For example I think the part of how it portrays humans and their reaction to the supernatural is quite realistic, alongside how human societies behaved etc or attitudes in certain places towards 'non-humans' plus more.

So my input here is the closer something is to folklore encounters of the paranormal, the less likely it is to be as 'unrealistic' in portrayal maybe.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

This is the narration intro for one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YUDfFtH2A

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Wait @Kitsune I believe you took it literally when I said 'supernatural'. When I said the word I meant what people call 'the supernatural', and not the name of a show.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Does anyone think its possible to create a pendant/medallion/necklace in real life that hums or vibrates (But except make it when anything threatening is near rather than all forms of paranormal)?

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Adding to that if anybody is knowledgeable:

Do the spell signs (Whatever tradition they were written to be based on irl) of: Quen (Instant shielding supposedly), Aard, Yrden or Igni actually work irl within a ‘spell context’ if you attempt to make them into ones that do?

Return to “Paranormal Media Review”