A list of good books for a beginner un magic

Do you know a good book that can help someone on their path? Or, are you looking for a certain type of book?
Opelia Rendon
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 150
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Sterling Angel
If I could be anything, I would be...: a mage
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

LittleGreenIcon wrote:Scott Cunningham - "Wicca - A guide for the solitary practitioner" comes to mind. Its a good starter book. Its very simple and easy to read if you are looking for basics.
The same author who wrote the book on Magickal properties of Herbs?

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

Opelia Rendon wrote:
LittleGreenIcon wrote:Scott Cunningham - "Wicca - A guide for the solitary practitioner" comes to mind. Its a good starter book. Its very simple and easy to read if you are looking for basics.
The same.

Cult
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: distilled spirits

Start with anthropological books, ie. Emma Wilby's Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits.

Otherwise, The Magus, Picatrix, Agrippa, The Key of Solomon, Petit Albert, Sefer Raziel Ha-Malakh, etc.

Some good modern writers are Austin Osman Spare, Peter J. Carroll, Paul Huson, Gemma Gary, Daniel Schulke, Nigel Jackson, and Nicholaj de Mattos Frisvold.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

Cult wrote:Start with anthropological books, ie. Emma Wilby's Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits
I super love this approach.

Nil
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this

Well.. Why look so "far" when we have our own forumer/conjurer/master whatsoever you wanna call him who wrote a book for beginners to learn the basics from? Let me grab the listing off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Runic-Magick-man ... nic+Magick

Runic Magick is more than just a book on Rune Magick but an entire course on mysticism designed to improve your ability to manifest change in your life. This book uses the runes as a vehicle for powerful life altering forces. It teaches you the basics of mysticism AND ways to do divination/communicate using tools (it focuses on runes but it also includes others).

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say who is the writer. He is none other than...... *drums*..... Charles Mcbride~! AKA.. Charles_Odinforce in this forum :X *runs and hide*

Opelia Rendon
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

wolves wrote:Well.. Why look so "far" when we have our own forumer/conjurer/master whatsoever you wanna call him who wrote a book for beginners to learn the basics from? Let me grab the listing off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Runic-Magick-man ... nic+Magick

Runic Magick is more than just a book on Rune Magick but an entire course on mysticism designed to improve your ability to manifest change in your life. This book uses the runes as a vehicle for powerful life altering forces. It teaches you the basics of mysticism AND ways to do divination/communicate using tools (it focuses on runes but it also includes others).

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say who is the writer. He is none other than...... *drums*..... Charles Mcbride~! AKA.. Charles_Odinforce in this forum :X *runs and hide*
Wow. He wrote a book...So under technicality, if I purchased it - I'd be supporting a member of the metaphysical world...COOL BEANS!

I do wanna mention to everyone else who did respond, upon Darkwing Dook's suggestions from other topics I currently have the following books: Practical Magick by Nancy Watson, Instant Magick by Christopher Penzac and Beginner's Enochian Magic by Donald Tyson.

I guess my real question even with these wonderful books is...how does one choose a type of magic - if that's what you would describe it as? Like Hoodou, Wicca, Celtic, Nordic and so many other options? Do you feel a sensation, a pull? I have originally asked my Lunar Angel "D" to help me with magick, but it doesn't feel fair if I dump all of the work on her. I wanna do my own research and when I can hear, see and understand spirits, my magickal understanding will be smooth sailing.

Oh yeah and Charles did mention some energy work, so learning to feel my own energy is important too. Yoga? Martial Arts?

Opelia Rendon
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Alys wrote:
Opelia Rendon wrote:
The same.
Wowza. I have an 2 Ebony wands because of what he wrote.

Nil
neophyte
neophyte

Opelia Rendon wrote:
Wow. He wrote a book...So under technicality, if I purchased it - I'd be supporting a member of the metaphysical world...COOL BEANS!
Yup.. plus his stuff is step by step so you can actually read and do while reading and so on. The best part is he is focusing on divination..
Opelia Rendon wrote: I guess my real question even with these wonderful books is...how does one choose a type of magic - if that's what you would describe it as? Like Hoodou, Wicca, Celtic, Nordic and so many other options? Do you feel a sensation, a pull? I have originally asked my Lunar Angel "D" to help me with magick, but it doesn't feel fair if I dump all of the work on her. I wanna do my own research and when I can hear, see and understand spirits, my magickal understanding will be smooth sailing.
I guess the only way to know is to start doing one and see what you like or dont like about it and then find what others have to offer that has what you like and dont have what you dont like. Get what i mean? the other thing is the cultural. Which culture resonates with you and which culture is around you. I will say look into your family ancestry and start from there. Practice what your "root" has normally makes you feel more "at home". If you don't like, then go for those you can get your hands on.. aka.. the community near to you so you can always get the stuff and help and teaching needed. If that fails only you start looking further. All in all... start and then assess if it fits and then look for one who fits you better.
Opelia Rendon wrote: Oh yeah and Charles did mention some energy work, so learning to feel my own energy is important too. Yoga? Martial Arts?
Feeling energy is important and i can imagine him saying "Qi Gong! Qi Gong! Qi Gong!" in my head right now =.=" .... and also "reiki! reiki! reiki! gtummo! gtummo! gtummo!..." but the qi gong definitely sounds louder in my head :P I better run before he strikes me with a thunder bolt :X

On another hand, I think divination or some sort of communication is also as important if not more. Knowing what is around you, who is around you and what best you can do to compliment those around you (the obvious and the subtle stuff) is always going to be beneficial. Imagine you are doing something that the "local spirits" does not like. You are going to face an uphill battle and so on. Learning to divine and get answers from any sources is going to help you a long way :X

Opelia Rendon
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

wolves wrote:
Opelia Rendon wrote:
Yup.. plus his stuff is step by step so you can actually read and do while reading and so on. The best part is he is focusing on divination..
Opelia Rendon wrote: I guess my real question even with these wonderful books is...how does one choose a type of magic - if that's what you would describe it as? Like Hoodou, Wicca, Celtic, Nordic and so many other options? Do you feel a sensation, a pull? I have originally asked my Lunar Angel "D" to help me with magick, but it doesn't feel fair if I dump all of the work on her. I wanna do my own research and when I can hear, see and understand spirits, my magickal understanding will be smooth sailing.
I guess the only way to know is to start doing one and see what you like or dont like about it and then find what others have to offer that has what you like and dont have what you dont like. Get what i mean? the other thing is the cultural. Which culture resonates with you and which culture is around you. I will say look into your family ancestry and start from there. Practice what your "root" has normally makes you feel more "at home". If you don't like, then go for those you can get your hands on.. aka.. the community near to you so you can always get the stuff and help and teaching needed. If that fails only you start looking further. All in all... start and then assess if it fits and then look for one who fits you better.
Opelia Rendon wrote: Oh yeah and Charles did mention some energy work, so learning to feel my own energy is important too. Yoga? Martial Arts?
Feeling energy is important and i can imagine him saying "Qi Gong! Qi Gong! Qi Gong!" in my head right now =.=" .... and also "reiki! reiki! reiki! gtummo! gtummo! gtummo!..." but the qi gong definitely sounds louder in my head :P I better run before he strikes me with a thunder bolt :X

On another hand, I think divination or some sort of communication is also as important if not more. Knowing what is around you, who is around you and what best you can do to compliment those around you (the obvious and the subtle stuff) is always going to be beneficial. Imagine you are doing something that the "local spirits" does not like. You are going to face an uphill battle and so on. Learning to divine and get answers from any sources is going to help you a long way :X
As always, the one with answers. Helping me with the whole shadow work and now dis... Any who. You're right on the money with spirit/entity communication because when I was reading the magickal books (except for Enochian) I've noticed that the authors tend to act as if spirits/entities don't exist when they clearly do. The authors acknowledge that there are other beings on different realms, but write as though none have existed or continue to exist on our current realm. And have no reference to communicate with them.
wolves wrote: Feeling energy is important and i can imagine him saying "Qi Gong! Qi Gong! Qi Gong!" in my head right now =.=" .... and also "reiki! reiki! reiki! gtummo! gtummo! gtummo!..." but the qi gong definitely sounds louder in my head :P I better run before he strikes me with a thunder bolt :X

Oh yeah, he has mentioned Qi Gong a few times and did make me wonder if he actually read what I wrote. But to give the man his credit due, I have been feeling the need to exercise and Qi Gong basically looks like Tai chi while feeling your own energy. He DID answer the questions tho.

Alrighty I'm bailing before he comes around with Qi Gong or I can't make a future purchase with him....

Nil
neophyte
neophyte

Opelia Rendon wrote:
Oh yeah, he has mentioned Qi Gong a few times and did make me wonder if he actually read what I wrote. But to give the man his credit due, I have been feeling the need to exercise and Qi Gong basically looks like Tai chi while feeling your own energy. He DID answer the questions tho.

Alrighty I'm bailing before he comes around with Qi Gong or I can't make a future purchase with him....
Too late... he saw us....

http://www.creepyhollows.com/phpBB3/topic74001.html

he gave an overview of the book there... and i am corrected again.. it wasn't fully focus on the divination but the meanings of the runes =.=" Go read up on the book and what it involves :X

Return to “Books & Literature”