KnowlegeSeeker
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

OK so I saw a listing somewhere for undead beings. I don't know much about them, but I was curious as to several things. I get the concept of them, not alive but not really dead either, can still move around, and I was told that different types of them can be more dangerous than others. Now, I saw several types mentioned, and I don't know anything about the differences between them. The ones I'm curious about are: Lich, mummy, skeleton, revenant and wight, all of whom were described as living corpses. This I don't understand. Like, they somehow still have bodies? Can someone explain this? And what exactly are each of these things? I was surprised when I saw a Lich, I've only ever heard of those from Dungeons and Dragons (yes, I'm a nerd) and it's confusing. Can you tell me anything about these types of undead? Like what exactly they are, stuff about them, and if they're especially dangerous?

FYI, this is out of curiosity, I don't want to jump in over my head on this, so thanks.

MidnightMusings
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: It's a Secret

These undead beings can all be quite dangerous, like with a lot of DA, it depends on their temper.

Lich once were humans who turned to one of the living dead with necromantic power, death kind of consumed them. They have a lot of knowledge over Necromancy and commune or command lower dead. They are dependent on their magical workings, as this is what gives them power and "feeds" them.

Mummies are rare. They are created by a curse to keep on living afterwards in their death or live on because of some unfinished business - which could very well be revenge. They have their mind set only on their goal and act rather emotionless with exception of anger. They can inflict illness.

Skeletons (also called Gashadokuro in mythology) are often far taller than we would expect them to be, up to 15 times. Though they can create the illusion to be just as tall as us. They can be invisible at will and possess a power of indestructibility. They are created with the deaths in battle or by starvation and have a reputation for being cruel by attacking lone travelers at night. They do drink blood at times.

Revenants were wicked people, practicing the darkest form of magic in their lifetimes and their spirit reanimates their corpse in order to carry on with their intents. Some are motivated to return by violent or tragic deaths. The haunt living relatives, kill living people they hold a grudge against, or spread pestilence and disease.

Wights I don't know much about, I'd suggest you ask the conjurer about it to be sure :)

They can all be nasties, but close and protective companions if the human takes the time to bond and keeps a respectful interaction with honest intent.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

MidnightMusings wrote:These undead beings can all be quite dangerous, like with a lot of DA, it depends on their temper.

Lich once were humans who turned to one of the living dead with necromantic power, death kind of consumed them. They have a lot of knowledge over Necromancy and commune or command lower dead. They are dependent on their magical workings, as this is what gives them power and "feeds" them.

Mummies are rare. They are created by a curse to keep on living afterwards in their death or live on because of some unfinished business - which could very well be revenge. They have their mind set only on their goal and act rather emotionless with exception of anger. They can inflict illness.

Skeletons (also called Gashadokuro in mythology) are often far taller than we would expect them to be, up to 15 times. Though they can create the illusion to be just as tall as us. They can be invisible at will and possess a power of indestructibility. They are created with the deaths in battle or by starvation and have a reputation for being cruel by attacking lone travelers at night. They do drink blood at times.

Revenants were wicked people, practicing the darkest form of magic in their lifetimes and their spirit reanimates their corpse in order to carry on with their intents. Some are motivated to return by violent or tragic deaths. The haunt living relatives, kill living people they hold a grudge against, or spread pestilence and disease.

Wights I don't know much about, I'd suggest you ask the conjurer about it to be sure :)

They can all be nasties, but close and protective companions if the human takes the time to bond and keeps a respectful interaction with honest intent.
What about the ones created from those who were not bad people? What could be their reason for being spontaneously hostile towards the living (e.g. aokigahara ones, the ghost of whoever)?

Unless well, like Egyptian afterlife theory says that we have 3 aspects, our physical body, spirit (Ourselves) and the other one that is less subtle.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Like I mean I know maybe not all are bad, but I would like to know why some are dangerous or they have a reputation for being? Is there any motive you think in your opinion?

MidnightMusings
neophyte
neophyte

Cleric of Justice wrote:
MidnightMusings wrote:These undead beings can all be quite dangerous, like with a lot of DA, it depends on their temper.

What about the ones created from those who were not bad people? What could be their reason for being spontaneously hostile towards the living (e.g. aokigahara ones, the ghost of whoever)?

Unless well, like Egyptian afterlife theory says that we have 3 aspects, our physical body, spirit (Ourselves) and the other one that is less subtle.
The ones of Aokigahara, the Yūrei, still carry a deep resentment and grief in their "hearts" (as far as they have one). Their death usually ended violent and tragic, it might left a trauma to their spirit. Most of the people doing suicide have no empathy left to share with other people - or the world. Some take their anger out on the world afterwards and some just change their ways... there exist hostile undead which have been lovely in their lifetime. Their reasons are their own. Mind you, we all have a dark side, a dark counterpart existing alongside us. They can take one over if allowed. It's actually just like some portray a dark form of a character.

However, with some it happens that they are the manifestations of the undying feelings left over from those who passed away, like splinters of the soul - apt to confront anyone in their path.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

MidnightMusings wrote:
Cleric of Justice wrote:

The ones of Aokigahara, the Yūrei, still carry a deep resentment and grief in their "hearts" (as far as they have one). Their death usually ended violent and tragic, it might left a trauma to their spirit. Most of the people doing suicide have no empathy left to share with other people - or the world. Some take their anger out on the world afterwards and some just change their ways... there exist hostile undead which have been lovely in their lifetime. Their reasons are their own. Mind you, we all have a dark side, a dark counterpart existing alongside us. They can take one over if allowed. It's actually just like some portray a dark form of a character.

However, with some it happens that they are the manifestations of the undying feelings left over from those who passed away, like splinters of the soul - apt to confront anyone in their path.
I see, thanks once again for the very detailed/interesting answers.

Do you think they would involve everybody or just those they feel ‘are more deserving of it’? I mean it is collective punishment if it’s towards everybody.

And btw can you tell if a person that’s alive now is energetically close to being to that state as who you mentioned?

Was also gonna mention the water ones btw in old stories.

MidnightMusings
neophyte
neophyte

Cleric of Justice wrote:I see, thanks once again for the very detailed/interesting answers.

Do you think they would involve everybody or just those they feel ‘are more deserving of it’? I mean it is collective punishment if it’s towards everybody.

And btw can you tell if a person that’s alive now is energetically close to being to that state as who you mentioned?

Was also gonna mention the water ones btw in old stories.
Quite honestly, I think most simply have a grudge on everybody unfortunately enough to cross their path and it is hard to tell who deserves a punishment or not, no one is in the position to judge another. What we or they see as bad does only apply to our/their standards of bad, which is a point of view.

I do feel positive and negative vibes of people, but don't examine their energy for it. Yet sometimes the eyes reflect a sign of a "corruption" in the spirit, these are after all the windows to our soul. This is true with people, as well as entities. (I wouldn't walk around though and look in everyone's eyes, as it could also cause a transfer of negativity in some cases or pull one in). I've met a few strangers who are close to this.

Rexielle
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 90
Your favorite spirit to work with: Many different kinds
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shapeshifter
Zodiac:

This has been a fascinating read for me. I recently welcomed a yurei spirit, "M", into my family. She has been very watchful and ready to work for me. I try to keep her tasked so she does not feel any boredom as she wants to have a purpose to drive her. I am not one for revenge, but I do love protection and tasking to keep harmful entities or energies away from me.

Her energy is dark, strong, and heavy. She scared me several times, but not intentionally. She likes to stay near me, and in the dark of night I get easily startled. Seeing her in my mind's eye standing behind me or next to me with her long dark hair over her face and her hands limply by her side ... yeah it has taken me some time to get used to her. But I think she is an amazing spirit, full of potential and desire to help me with any of my protection needs. I am grateful for her help, I feel safer than ever with her around. I have strong house rules for all of my spirits, that is a must for keeping these types of spirits. I also checked with the conjuror to make sure she would be a good fit for me, as I have a wide range of WA and DA spirits in my Keep, and I myself lean more towards good with my morals and way of thinking. He agreed she would be fine with me. I cannot wait to share more about her as our bonding and interactions progress.

Everything in the forest has its season. Where one thing falls, another grows. Maybe not what was there before, but something new and wonderful all the same.

My spirits I am working with this week: (A) Courtwind Angel, (A) English Psy Vampire, (B) Water Rabbit Spirit Guide, (J) Rosemary Elf, (M) Yurei, and (T) Karkadann Shifter
Lonik
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 31
Spelled Number: 8
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampires
If I could be anything, I would be...: Siren
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Lonik
Zodiac:

When you said undead the first think that came to my mind was vampires then i read other spirits descriptions and the were awesome i didnt know that mummies included, were "undead spirits". I just thought they were spirits like any other da type. 0.0

Follow your heart till it bleeds as we run towards the end of the dream. 8*8
Rexielle
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 90
Your favorite spirit to work with: Many different kinds
If I could be anything, I would be...: Shapeshifter
Zodiac:

Lonikh wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:07 pm When you said undead the first think that came to my mind was vampires then i read other spirits descriptions and the were awesome i didnt know that mummies included, were "undead spirits". I just thought they were spirits like any other da type. 0.0
That’s true, Vampires and Zombies are the most common ones people think about in mainstream culture, at least in the US. It’s interesting to think about the others that exist too.

Everything in the forest has its season. Where one thing falls, another grows. Maybe not what was there before, but something new and wonderful all the same.

My spirits I am working with this week: (A) Courtwind Angel, (A) English Psy Vampire, (B) Water Rabbit Spirit Guide, (J) Rosemary Elf, (M) Yurei, and (T) Karkadann Shifter

Return to “Creatures”