S-I-Lover
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: tough question :)
If I could be anything, I would be...: Succubus
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Visioner

Hi friends,

asking the more experienced Keepers ... I just would like to learn the right difference and definitions of the following terms.

I put it in plain easy words, so please check if I am right with this:

to summon - Summoning
= to call a spirit/entity to come and join (no matter what the intentions are)

to invoke - Invocation
= to activate a spirit/spell/energy, meaning to get a spirit or spell "to do something"

Example 1:
one can summon a spirit to just come .... and then afterwards one could invoke a spell or spirit to become active

Example 2:
I could summon any unbound spirit just for fun (I know, somehow silly, but just for the records), but I do NOT need to summon MY spirits, since they are already being bound to me and being with me. But I could invoke either unbound spirits and/or my spirits to do something or I could invoke a spell to become active

Is that right ?

I did read those terms in the encyclopedia dictionary, but I just wanted to make sure, that I "got it right" ?!

Because every now and then I find "invocations" or "instructions how to summon xxx" in this forum and sometimes it seems to be a little confusing for Newbies ...

Thanks,
SIL

Well - what to say - let's just see
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Hi

I'm not what you'd call an experienced keeper...only been keeping bound spirits for 1.5 years but I've bought from 4 sellers and read a lot of info from more than one source. From that I've learned that invoking / summoning / conjuring can be used slightly differently by different people so I think the important thing is to know what that particular person means when they use the different terms. In academia terms are also used differently by different experts and they often begin papers by setting out what they mean when they use each term.

Meaning can change according to context.

I'll leave it to the genuinely experienced contributors to answer more definitively.

Outside of spirit keeping circles I think those words are also used differently. As a generalisation they're all ways of calling or working with a spirit.

"Conjuring" in modern spirit keeping circles seems to refer to selecting a suitable spirit for a customer.

"Summoning" seems to be just calling a spirit to you.

"Invoking" seems to be getting the spirit's attention, for example to work with it in some way, including encouraging it to communicate.

S-I-Lover
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: tough question :)
If I could be anything, I would be...: Succubus
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
My magical/paranormal name...: Visioner

Thanks for your replay ... your explanation seems to make sense ... in the context of this forum and CH Shop I guess I understand it the right way .... even though I also noticed that people use these definitions interchangeably and/or differently according to a different context.

Well - what to say - let's just see

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”