venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I decided to throw this into the General Question section, so I hope the choice made sense.

I have discovered something about me that I never really took notice of until the past few months during my spirit keeping journey. First a little background. In my life I typically have never been violent, committed crimes, and my living experience is in a quiet neighborhood with very little to nothing going on in the way of gangs, drugs and criminal activity. For the sake of this thread, let's just say that's been my perception and I've lived in the area for 40 years. So I've been around very few people with gray area / dark tendencies, not even in my extended family.

Nevertheless, due to the things in my head I more associate myself with Dark Arts spirits despite you could suggest I should have tried White Arts. (On a side note I do find that I actually resonate better with Dark Arts - I think.)

What I have found when I look at the last couple of years is that I am utterly fascinated with people who have, let's say, a much more colorful experience. By this I mean people who have had adventurous encounters - bar fights, committed crimes (not capital crimes...), etc - and who may be very dark indeed. Even my girlfriend had a checkered past, although no actual crimes committed. I also find myself attracted to the idea of dark spirits - spirits with dark pasts and skill and ability that they have used for dark purposes. Since I don't live a life on the dark side just being near it and learning about it to me is incredibly fascinating. As I've said, I have noticed this sort of crop up over the past few years so I know it was not Spirit Keeping that started it. And what's funny is even in Spirit Keeping when I look at a White Arts spirit I'm just not excited and, in fact, a bit turned off by them.

My question is, do any of you who live a generally "light" lifestyle find yourself attracted to, or fascinated by, the "darker" side of life?

I'll give you an example. I have a friend who has a relative staying with them who is on the run from the law. He should be serving time and was under house arrest. I'm not going to get into specifics but rest assured the crime was not murder, although it was pretty bad from an ethical standpoint. (I should note that others in the family have tried to turn him in, but since he is out of the state he committed the crime in, and it was not murder, they will not bother to have him extradited.) That aside, he is also a gang-banger and is very violent. I have had many conversations with him and I find his experiences and point of view on life fascinating. Note that I don't agree with how he lives and what he's done and I don't support it. I also believe he needs to take himself back to his home state and turn himself in. However, I just find the things he's been involved in are... interesting. I don't know how else to put it. I would not participate in anything like he's done, yet I am completely fascinated by the darkness in him.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
quantumflux
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 17
If I could be anything, I would be...: I’m a faerie.
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Wouldn’t you like to know. HEHE
Zodiac:

I can understand this to an extent. I prefer to be kind and loving But can switch that aspect and love doing so.

memento mori
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

I'm also a writer and I write very dark antagonists and even some protagonists with issues. LOL

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
quantumflux
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

Dasadon is the name of one of my aspects. To be spysific he is my rage hatred violent distrust I’ve aspect

He is a character I have built up over the course of almost 16 years now

memento mori
Ellie44
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 55
Spelled Number: 4

In my day to day life, I'm a boring middle aged woman, mother, wife and work in an office. I've always been the one to follow rules and the law. I was always dubbed "innocent" "sweet" etc. However, I have always felt more akin to those that live more colorful lives. I tend to see the best in people to a fault. I also have always been more into dark and black arts in my witchy life. However, I also work with lighter and white as well. For me it's almost been a balance thing. I can completely relate to you.

“Being normal is vastly overrated.” 1d
MidnightMusings
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Well what's wrong with a fascination, right? As long as you don't fall into the abyss you stare at, there's absolutely no problem with that.

I'm such a person myself, I've always been. The darkness and to some extent "sinister" holds a great fascination for me, maybe it is because I'm the absolute contrary of it. Maybe that's the reason why it generally captivates us, something so very different from our point of view, concerning ethics and morals. If we think about it, some of the darkness carries behavior of what we would call sociopathic, sadistic and psychopathic. To think that such aspects excite me is something I worried about at first, but in reality I see it as balance, just like Ellie44 mentioned.

I live with dark and black arts around me because we kind of complement each other and I love to learn about their understanding of everything, same goes for people with dark pasts. It's their mindset and mannerism I'm fascinated with and that's why I magnetically feel pulled towards it. Like some villains in movies or criminals in this world. And there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. But a warning I recently heard is to never forget their nature. No matter how much you get along with them, they're dangerous in their way and you never know when you could burn yourself.

Muse
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

I cannot relate to the same type of fascination you do because I have lived in dark times and haven't quite left them. Everything I am from the choice in fashion to my past and all that's in between is sketchy at best. Because of this, I think, I also cannot relate to your distaste for white arts. I much prefer Grey or dark myself, sometimes even black arts, but white arts Spirits give off a much needed peace and quiet that I otherwise wouldn't be able to know given my lifestyle.

I suppose people are always fascinated with what they don't have firsthand experience with/don't fully understand.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I think it’s natural as you go through life to become curious about unfamiliar life experiences and try to understand them. Especially if you are a writer. That just kind of gets wired in at some point.

I often try to get my head around other people’s experiences and viewpoints. Partly because it’s interesting and partly because I think you have to try to understand such things in order to really understand how different people can be helped. Sometimes it’s your direct help, but more often for me it has been trying to get other people to think about these things too and making sure that my vote is an informed one.

That said, I usually limit myself to indirect exposure—reading or watching content about different experiences—if the experiences are extreme. I end up collecting a lot of energy from getting too directly and personally invested that I then have to discharge and sometimes even recover from.

Given your recent post about intensifying emotional load and possible empathy, I wonder if this fascination is in a relationship with that experience. If so, one might be causing the other, but I would guess they are probably more like a feedback loop. If you are on track for developing empathic abilities, it would make sense to also be searching for more input to practice on; and as you take in more emotionally affecting input it it would make perfect sense to start developing fatigue and overload.

The two phenomena together and idea that they might be related are making me wonder if there is just something that’s supposed to be happening right now somehow, developmentally speaking, with your empathy and intuition.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

It is certainly a fascination with something I've never had to directly experience or be involved with, and it is something as a writer that I love to explore. Partly I need the research to flesh out characters, and partly it's just... interesting. LOL

@Alys - Interesting connections to the empathy/intuition development. I'm not sure about that really, but I've had a... reluctance... to meditate lately despite my desire to do so. I wonder if that is somehow connected to that idea.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

quantumflux
active contributor
active contributor
Zodiac:

So... how do you think this came about?

memento mori

Return to “General Questions”