Member Communications and it's Importance

Do you have an idea to make the forum better? Easier to use? Submit it!
Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

We always welcome fresh ideas, comments, etc. but when we have good reason for policies or changes, then trust us that it's not because we want to be dictators or tyrants, but because it was a decision good for the entire community. <3

This has been an enlightening thread, but to be honest, most of you participating in this thread were not here through any of the Witch Wars, you were all not here during many of the mega dramas that happened with sellers, buyers-turned-sellers ripping people off or running charity schemes, websites cropping up for a month or so & disappearing (ripping off customers), and all the dramas that have been handled over time.

Being a good leader, whether it's Tenured members here, Ash & myself, or the mods, means making hard decisions and taking actions that are important for the good of everyone 1s Decisions that help people feel safe and secure; especially when you're talking about a community that needs to feel comfortable because the paranormal isn't widely accepted by many in daily life.

Member security here is paramount, and there isn't any complaint thread that's going to change that for Ash & myself. I realize that most of you here do not have or own a Forum of this size or this tenure, but it's no small feat to manage thousands of members and tens of thousands of threads. As much as you may think you will do no wrong as a Registered member, it doesn't mean someone else of your membership level isn't going to repeat past mistakes that caused a lot of drama here. The membership levels happened with time, and at the suggestion of members who wanted to share more private discussions & information without it being public, or without worrying about being contacted without merit. We are very much a community-driven website and it's important that the people who are active in this community over time feel open to being able to communicate and share as well. New members can gain a lot by being an active member, it's not just PMs that are gained, the Forum doubles in size for Tenured members.

As for Chat, the biggest complaint we get via Helpdesk is that people in Chat are not talking about spirits, magic, entities, etc., and that sometimes people are talking about gross things like farts & poop, or they are talking about sex and boobs, etc. Chat is going to be what you guys make of it. You guys need to actually have engaging conversations for people to feel like Chat is a place they want to spend time.

Ash & I founded this open Forum to welcome freedom of speech & freedom of sharing information to help others and have a community atmosphere. We wanted a welcoming and open site where people could actually learn the truths of Spirit Keeping & learn what it means and how to be successful in this path. Ash & I have contributed years & countless hours of material, in addition to all the members here, and we welcome anyone to be part of that.

Use your energetic motivation you have for trying to change the policies here to become a tenured member and have all the access you desire. Not to mention sharing, creating friends & mentors in this path, and be part of this historic community.

This Forum started out with everyone with with private messages, everyone had their names (sometimes real names) posted, there were email buttons & links, and all kinds of bells and whistles.

Then... slowly & slowly things were being taken advantage of, people were harassing others via email, sellers were adding every member of the Forum to email distributions lists, people were sending threats over Forum arguments, people were "selling" people things through email or PM and then not actually giving them the product or service, people were giving out credit cards via chat or PM and not even vetting who they were giving them to, people giving out their home addresses via chat or PM and having a stalking issue or threat issue, the list goes on & on.

If this Forum was the only thing we did in our lives and we didn't actually do anything but run this Forum, then maybe taking big risks like letting everyone just do whatever they want to do all the time would be okay, and we would spend our days addressing issues. But, when Ash & I have to take time out to address issues, to deal with law enforcement or lawyers, or respond to accusations of Forum members... not because of anything Ash & I did, but because of what the members are doing... that's different. Now you're taking time away from people who ordered a service or a binding, and we quickly get behind in our work when we have to address a Forum member who decided to stalk another member because they posted their home address... or, respond because someone threatened someone else, etc.

It's not Ash & I who ruined or wasted this community, it was the bad decisions of some who caused these "freedoms" to go away. It's sad, but it's true. And it didn't happen overnight, it happened over the last 13 years.

Ultimately "Creepy Hollows" gets the blame when one member harasses another, or one member threatens another, or a seller bashes "Creepy Hollows" because they had a bad review on here, and "Creepy Hollows" pays the price in ridiculous internet reviews all over for the behavior of our members. You don't see negative reviews posted that actually blame the person responsible when it came to a Forum blow-out, oh no, you see "Creepy Hollows".

We've been blamed even for actions sellers who advertise on here do when they have a private transaction with someone, just because the seller advertised here or posts here.

If everyone who participated here could behave like an adult, it wouldn't be a problem, but not even a few months ago we had someone taunting someone to commit SUICIDE on the chat window! And then comes this thread with people berating us for how much stress & drama we want to have to deal with and how many bells & whistles are here, when this is supposed to be about lifting each other up & having community camaraderie and discussions? It's not as though we are talking about ancient history, we are talking about something that's still in the rear view mirror.

This Forum was built and created not for you all to have a dating website, or a chat website, or a private chat website. There are plenty of those kinds of sites & Forums out there for those purposes. This Forum was specifically built for the sharing and communicating of information related to Spirit Keeping, Magic, and Paranormal Collecting for the purpose of enlightening each other. A single website that actually told the truth about Spirit Keeping and actually informed people. Most of you have no idea what it was like nearly 20 years ago on the internet. It was a barren wasteland with absolutely no information about Spirit Keeping. We were the only website that even discussed it, and we paid the price with many scars for even having this site, and we still do. Learning the history of this community & having some modicum of respect for the battle-laden people who built this community, and fought to keep it, would be nice.

It's not too much to ask to be an active participant here to have some perks. I don't even have to ask Tenured members what they think about everyone being able to see everything & everyone being able to contact them... they aren't going to like it. There's a reason we have membership levels, and again, it happened over time and the natural evolution of this Forum. If you are an active member who shows they are really interested in the happiness of this community, then at least Ash & I know you aren't a scam artist, you're not copying email addresses off everyone's profiles and selling them, you're not in a chat window acting like a fool, you're not setting up fake charity scams and PMing every single board member to bilk them, or a pissed of buyer from a seller who posts here so you're making 10 different fake accounts & PMing everyone trash talk, or any of other ridiculous issues we've had come up here over the years. All we ask is that someone actually be an active member here who actually cares about the other members here, and cares about learning. All of this (by the way) are real examples, and that doesn't even begin to touch upon everything that's happened here over the years.

The root & foundation of this community is the wisdom and information shared by members. There is NO OTHER PLACE LIKE THIS. No other website can even hold a candle to the volume of wisdom found on this Forum from not only Ash & myself, but many community members who spent their personal time building this resource. Their love & devotion to Spirit Keeping & magic kept this place alive during some of the darkest times of the entire community. Those who lived through those times will tell you how horrifying those years were for everyone; no one was left untouched by those Witch Wars.

It's easy to be someone who came along 10 years later and tell us how things should be done, because you weren't here to live through it, but no rule or regulation on this Forum was put here because Ash & I are tyrants, they are the result of the tremendously bad behavior and decisions made by members here to drove it to the brink of policy changes. And not just one incident, but multiple incidents over many years. Ash & I have a lot of patience, and we are willing to put up with a great deal of stress, and give people second chances, third chances, etc. No policy change was made on a knee-jerk reaction, it was made because it became a necessity.

To even consider the issue of PMs for everyone is bad-mouthing CH might happen via PM is absolutely ridiculous 1spt . That completely absolves all blame from the bad behavior of the members, and as convenient as it might be for the badly-behaved members to pretend that it's all us and not them, it's just not true. We lived through a hell-storm of bad reviews and press, and the only reason it didn't sink this community is because we actually stand behind & believe in everything we do, and no one can question that.

Unclesid, if you truly feel this level of disdain for CH then I do not know why you are here, reading your responses is disheartening 1sa . If you really care about the quality of the Forum, the quality of the conversations with members, etc then be proactive in making a positive change & be part of positive energy that comes here. We are glad to have you here, but the mission of this site isn't to drag down others & make them feel unhappy about being here, but instead being supportive and empowering of each other. We have enough anger and judgment from those outside of the paranormal community. Be a part of the positive change you want to see here.

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

creepyhollows wrote:but not even a few months ago we had someone taunting someone to commit SUICIDE on the chat window!...It's not as though we are talking about ancient history, we are talking about something that's still in the rear view mirror.
This is as relevant as it can get. I am honestly shocked we still have chat AT ALL.

ESL80
new here
new here
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 8
Your favorite spirit to work with: Those in my keep ❤
If I could be anything, I would be...: Me
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: ESL80
Zodiac:

I'm not able to access it and I'm a bit confused. Normally it pops up when I open the forum. My bookmark doesnt even work anymore...

❤The quieter you become, the more you can hear❤
ESL80
new here
new here
Zodiac:

Wow. This is sad. I just reached out to the help desk earlier, but now I guess I understand.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: a practitioner
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

ESL80 wrote:Wow. This is sad. I just reached out to the help desk earlier, but now I guess I understand.
It used to be that any registered user could participate in chat, but because of the suicide chat incident referenced in the admin post, the rules were changed. Now no one whose username is gray can access chat. I think that’s a very good policy given not only that specific event but also the other problems referenced in the same post. It’s just by its faster-moving and less permanent nature a lot harder to moderate effectively than the forums are.

ESL80
new here
new here
Zodiac:

Alys-RaccoonReadings wrote:
ESL80 wrote:Wow. This is sad. I just reached out to the help desk earlier, but now I guess I understand.
It used to be that any registered user could participate in chat, but because of the suicide chat incident referenced in the admin post, the rules were changed. Now no one whose username is gray can access chat. I think that’s a very good policy given not only that specific event but also the other problems referenced in the same post. It’s just by its faster-moving and less permanent nature a lot harder to moderate effectively than the forums are.

Thankyou for taking the time to respond and I understand what occurred once I read fully.

Noctua
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I am glad to see Magnolia's post here and hopefully those who are confused about the way things are or unhappy can understand better through her address the whole intention behind this community's current structure.

I myself have not always been on board with the decisions made here and I also am not always very good at adhering to those rules or avoiding drama (gratitude to Magnolia & Ash for tolerating me, lol), but ultimately you adapt based on the value you have that this community even exists. If it's not for you with the way it is, there are other platforms through which to express yourself.

There are aspects of sharing and relating a part of ourselves here that are rewarding in some way for everyone at any stage or coming from any place due to the diversity this community seeks to maintain. Anyone still here even after having complaints obviously finds some merit in being here regardless of what is taken issue with, if you're looking to be 100 percent satisfied you really can't be though because it's a place for everyone. Part of maintaining that diversity with the issues that have arisen just, unfortunately, involves a lot of safeguarding.

The main thing to keep in mind is that this place was once very small, and when you have that you have an intimate atmosphere of pretty like minds. When you grow however into a microcosm of civilization as a whole because there are dozens of new members every day, in such a weird field that we are in of the metaphysical, it's naturally a sacrifice of that intimacy for security. Essentially not everyone can be pleased but everyone will still be able to take something from their time here.

Muse
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

I'm also glad to see Magnolia's response. It cleared up some deep things and while I'm not happy with everything, "feeling it" from her perspective made it a lot easier to understand and accept.

...that probably sounds weird, actually.
Noctua wrote:Essentially not everyone can be pleased but everyone will still be able to take something from their time here.
No doubt about that.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Ishvala wrote:I'm also glad to see Magnolia's response. It cleared up some deep things and while I'm not happy with everything, "feeling it" from her perspective made it a lot easier to understand and accept.
I found the explanation very illuminating too. It all sounds very reasonable to me.

By the way Ishvala today I got a reply from Support to my earlier query about getting Tenure.

It looks like although you joined the forum a bit later than me, you are already way nearer to becoming tenured-able than I am, due to the number of posts you've made. I found out today that there are 2 criteria: one is to have made 500 posts and the other is the 6 months' membership.

Perhaps I need to come out of my shell more. I'm only up to 100 and something posts. Mind you I've also read the rule about making sure our posts are genuine, and to avoid spamming replies to old threads just to get one's count up.

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons

That is certainly a general rule, but every person is taken on their own merit... although I will say if you've been here 6 months and only made 100 posts it may not run through the channels of tenureship very quickly.

If you take some time to read through older threads and breathe new life into them with questions, or start new threads with new topics, or just engage in a conversation/discussion with someone else, you are going to find that your engagement level skyrockets. Don't be shy, be open to asking questions or sharing your own thoughts, you never know how it's going to help someone else who might have had the same question & was too shy to ask :)

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER

Return to “Forum Suggestions”