neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 425
Spelled Number: 125
Your favorite spirit to work with: My Own Companions
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
Zodiac:

Fireshadow wrote:I am totally suprised how this topic started out as one of the weirdest I have ever seen on here. And in a few days you guys went from 2 pages to 9 pages, from FB to salt and church... totally ignoring the OP and his question.
So let's get back to the topic shall we. (If you think the salt-subject is that important, maybe you guys should start a new topic about it.)
OMG you guys, we took a semi-trolly post and turned it into a meaningful conversation!!!! *gasp* *faint* *comes to* *banishes entire forum with salt and laughter*

Muse
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorites, sorry
If I could be anything, I would be...: Sane
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Somethin' snazzy I suppose
Zodiac:

laalbieglna wrote:
Alys-RaccoonReadings wrote:
laalbieglna wrote:Absolutely on the Pentecostals! I go to a Pentecostal church now and bar none, if you strip out the dogma and just look at the actual process of what they're doing, it is completely indistinguishable from the pagan ritual circles I participate in.
Oh! Then you’ll get a kick out of this:
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/201 ... he-energy/
My computer crashed and ate my carefully considered response after re-reading the entire article again. Right now I'll leave it at yes, it's complicated, and some people are working energy in a very manipulative way, but others are drawing it down from divine source to uplift the participants and connect them with deity. It is complicated and requires a level of experience and discernment that, unfortunately, not every person attending a church has, and that many churches discourage.
Couldn't have said it better.

Muse
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

laalbieglna wrote: OMG you guys, we took a semi-trolly post and turned it into a meaningful conversation!!!! *gasp* *faint* *comes to* *banishes entire forum with salt and laughter*
Eh, I understand where they're coming from as far as staying on topic and normally I'd agree with them but really, after two pages there wasn't much to ask, so why not let members continue the conversation into something meaningful and possibly even educational...right?

Suffice it to say, I don't think it's worth this level of sarcasm. I don't think they meant any harm in the suggestion.

:)

That all said and done, I have a question for you all. Salt, Facebook Demons and Paganism aside, have you ever tried to use energy and divination to find a new friend on Facebook...? Maybe in a Facebook group for witches or metaphysical topics? I think this might lead to some surprising results, whether it worked in your favor or not.

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote: Maybe that’s why the more austere sects stripped out all that ceremony. Maybe they wanted to disconnect from those roots. So their churches are spare and plain, compared to the cathedrals of old, and their ritual is far removed from the Catholic Liturgy.
Some early protestants actually did make accusations of "magic" against Catholics. You can read about it. I think this charge was most frequently aimed at the doctrine of transubstantiation and, therefore, the practice of elevating the Host at mass.

This isn't really relevant to the conversation (what is, at this point, though?) but if you dig back into Elizabeth I's life in her late teens and twenties while Mary was Queen, the way she cultivated and used a Protestant image as an "appropriately somber maiden" is super fascinating and initially started as a character rehabilitation exercise after a tawdry teenage scandal. Once she realized how well it worked on that front, she stayed with it as a political device for building and maintaining a faction to protect her. The most interesting aspect of that, to me, is that she spent that period in very plain (for the court) outfits--always white or black with little adornment--and that drove Mary bananas! Mary both felt it unseemly for a princess and detested the religious currents it signaled, so she was forever trying to press more extravagant clothing on her little sister. Of course, once she was queen, she could give free reign to her taste for dramatic and opulent costume (and, really, kind of had to by the nature of Renaissance concepts of majestas in statecraft.)

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

laalbieglna wrote:
Alys-RaccoonReadings wrote:As in, I went to a private school where we were once assigned a paper on whether Catholics were Christians because we finally got a Catholic student in the late nineties, lol.
Oh man and this is one of the grossest things I've ever heard! I once took a test in 9th grade Earth Science that had as a true or false question "abortion is murder."

However any one person might answer that question, it does not have any place on an Earth Science test.
I'm sure I had that one on a test too, although abortion was a forbidden topic for the final big English research papers because it was too popular and the teacher got sick of reading them.

I feel like this was actually in one of my textbooks, but if it wasn't it's the kind of thing that was:

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Ishvala wrote:That all said and done, I have a question for you all. Salt, Facebook Demons and Paganism aside, have you ever tried to use energy and divination to find a new friend on Facebook...? Maybe in a Facebook group for witches or metaphysical topics? I think this might lead to some surprising results, whether it worked in your favor or not.
I don't add any friends from scratch. I have to feel like I have a pretty good idea of who they are, or they have to have a LOT of mutuals. That said, if it's just based on the mutuals, I will make my decision based on looking at the profile and what kind of person I think they'll turn out to be, which probably involves energy on some level.

Muse
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Alys-RaccoonReadings wrote:
Ishvala wrote:That all said and done, I have a question for you all. Salt, Facebook Demons and Paganism aside, have you ever tried to use energy and divination to find a new friend on Facebook...? Maybe in a Facebook group for witches or metaphysical topics? I think this might lead to some surprising results, whether it worked in your favor or not.
I don't add any friends from scratch. I have to feel like I have a pretty good idea of who they are, or they have to have a LOT of mutuals. That said, if it's just based on the mutuals, I will make my decision based on looking at the profile and what kind of person I think they'll turn out to be, which probably involves energy on some level.
Sounds legit to me!

Return to “Human”