new here
new here
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 6
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Use and Practice of Elemental Magic?

Postby TheLoot » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm not about to give a life story to feel the need of validating my interest in elemental magic, but it is on the radar for me; I just don't know where to start. Even with questions.

I suppose something to ask about is the use of elemental magic. What are the applications that can be used for it?

As for practice, what can I do to strengthen this area of magic for me? Is it relatively simple or a rather tricky kind to practice? Does this involve diagrams or other such physical work?

To Be Signed

Blackcat415
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Were wolf
My magical/paranormal name...: Idk

Re: Use and Practice of Elemental Magic?

Postby Blackcat415 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 pm

This is a complex question..
What are your goals? To fuel spells with energy from specific elements? Combat while astral traveling? Do you want to make your own spells or learn preexisting ones?
The way i personally got started was by making my own spells and powering them with energy from the desired element. An easy way to do this is to write down your exact intent for the spell; what it does, where it gets its energy, what happens if it's interfered with, ect. Then create an energy ball in your hand(s) and program it with your intent, using what you wrote down.
That's kinda basic, but since you're using elements, you'll want to connect that energy ball with the desired element. For example; let's say you want to make a healing spell with water to cleanse the bodies energy. When you're forming the energy ball, visualize or look at a large body of water. Then visualize the energy of the water flowing into the ball in your hand, tell the ball to continue to pull the energy from there while you program it.
That's a good way to start in my opinion.
Also if you can easily communicate with your spirits, try conjuring one whos good at elemental magic and ask them to teach you.

Just sharpened my claws. Now i'm bored...

When I speak I speak from experience. Not from theory. Not from what I'm told.

Lewk
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 117
Spelled Number: 113
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Easthorse Indigo

Postby Lewk » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:57 pm

TheLoot wrote:I suppose something to ask about is the use of elemental magic. What are the applications that can be used for it?

Just my own view here...

A CH reading told me that working with the elements is one of 3 key abilities I have. I do have a very strong affinity to all that, although much of my knowledge has been accumulated via various systems and hasn't reached full synthesis. (ie I may make it sound like I know it all but I haven't fully put everything together yet by any means; and my knowledge is definitely limited.) But this is a nice opportunity for me to talk about some of that, as long as I don't bore you...

in answer to your question I think a good starting point might be to research where elemental energy or magick fits within the system or approach you work with. Or, if you don't have a recognisable system or approach, either follow:

a) what aspects you're drawn to; or
b) what you need to achieve what you want to achieve.

The elements are a core feature of many 'spiritual' systems with a magical side, from Chinese traditional theory to classical Greek philosophy and what came after.

Connection
There is the experiential / ceremonial side of getting to know the elements, their energies, maybe the spirits associated with them, the elemental kingdoms, those who rule them. The different feel of them as they contact the earthen plane to how they are in the astral.

Practice
Then there is the practical side of working with them. Learning how to open gateways to their kingdoms, leading elemental energy to where you want it to do something. Accumulating an element's energy. Connecting with salamanders, sylphs, undines and gnomes. Affecting the elements in our physical world.

Cultural history
Elements come in to so many workings that involve the 4 directions, from tai chi / chi work to the Golden Dawn Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram circle type work. The Ciceros' updated Golden Dawn classic The Middle Pillar gives lots of variations on the LBRP, to fit different religious or spiritual systems. Another good way to connect to the elements is to look at their representation throughout history, from classical Greek or Egyptian times to now.

Psionics and modern Kinetics has taken elemental work to a new level and I should probably shut up here as I haven't yet done any elements based psionics and haven't touched kinetics (yet) Psionics can use elemental energy to add to a construct or servitor. Kinetics aims to physically influence elements in a telekinetic way.

Applications
Apart from the ceremonial or personal connection aspect, you can use elemental energies to balance and heal a place in nature. Do a bit of planet healing (ie heal the ozone gaps with air energy).
You can harmonise with wind and block or divert it. Talk to the salamanders in a fire and get their consent to have it die down or reduce harm.

Directions and elemental balance - It may seem like an afterthought but it's so fundamental to so much practice that it's importance can be overlooked. The elements and their directions and associated governing beings help provide balance and protection at the beginning and end of rites. And achieving a balance of elemental qualities in yourself is a form of personal development that can lead to greater wellbeing.

As I said, I draw on a mix of methods I've learned over decades. And more than a few practitioners on this forum have taken this field to a new level well beyond what I'm familiar with.

Don’t be scared. This island is full of noises, strange sounds and sweet melodies that make you feel good and don’t hurt anyone. Sometimes I hear a thousand twanging instruments hum at my ears, and sometimes voices that send me back to sleep even if I had just woken up—and then I dreamed of clouds opening up and dropping such riches on me that when I woke up, I cried because I wanted to dream again. Caliban, The Tempest, Shakespeare
1mg

SilverElf
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 14
Spelled Number: 53
Your favorite spirit to work with: My entire posse
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My magical/paranormal name...: Willow Rising

Postby SilverElf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Thanks for the info, Lewk. Elemental magic popped up for me in a CH reading as well, which makes complete sense because I've been fascinated by the elements since I was a kid. My understanding is rudimentary, but I look forward to getting better and expanding my practice. :)

"You must see with eyes unclouded by hate. See the good in that which is evil, and the evil in that which is good. Pledge yourself to neither side, but vow instead to preserve the balance that exists between the two" - Hayao Miyazaki

TheLoot
new here
new here

Postby TheLoot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:51 am

I've been meaning to get a head start on practices like this, and I feel it might be an interesting path to go down. One of my spirits in my keep would be a great mentor but I sadly lack the ability to communicate outside of a pendulum. Once I do get a get a meaningful/reliable form of communication, however, I plan to have a bit of direction, knowledge, or practice beforehand; some foundation so I'm not floundering about.

I appreciate Lewk's post, it gives me a little more motivation to keep going with it. But does anyone know of any reliable physical information I can use? I've been needing some more books in my library, so to speak.

To Be Signed

Lewk
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 117
Spelled Number: 113
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My magical/paranormal name...: Easthorse Indigo

Postby Lewk » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Whatever I have learned is from a range of sources, including that book I reviewed a few days ago here.

But I realise that book may not click with everyone; it's closer to psychic development and energy work in feel, although as part of it you use the tattwa symbols familiar to Golden Dawn magicians and communicate with nature spirits.

Research books - these seem to be by good authors and may be worth a read. With Kindle editions they're not too expensive. They're *not* in my own library but I do have 2 books by DJ Conway. She's very genuine and experienced. A lot of her books are available from Llewellyn books.

Elemental Magick: Meditations, Exercises, Spells, and Rituals to Help You Connect with Nature Kindle Edition by D.J. Conway

Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic (Llewellyn's Practical Magick Series) Kindle Edition by Scott Cunningham

Practical Elemental Magick: A guide to the four elements (Air, Fire, Water & Earth) in the Western Esoteric Tradition Kindle Edition by Sorita d'Este

I hope that proves useful.

Don’t be scared. This island is full of noises, strange sounds and sweet melodies that make you feel good and don’t hurt anyone. Sometimes I hear a thousand twanging instruments hum at my ears, and sometimes voices that send me back to sleep even if I had just woken up—and then I dreamed of clouds opening up and dropping such riches on me that when I woke up, I cried because I wanted to dream again. Caliban, The Tempest, Shakespeare
1mg

SilverElf
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 14
Spelled Number: 53
Your favorite spirit to work with: My entire posse
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My magical/paranormal name...: Willow Rising

Postby SilverElf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Oooh, I do love a good book rec! Thanks again, Lewk!

"You must see with eyes unclouded by hate. See the good in that which is evil, and the evil in that which is good. Pledge yourself to neither side, but vow instead to preserve the balance that exists between the two" - Hayao Miyazaki

TheLoot
new here
new here

Postby TheLoot » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:51 am

Thank you for sharing, Lewk, I'll be sure to add that to the list.

To Be Signed

Return to “Spells/Spellwork”