Depression / Depressive thoughts

Need help learning how to Meditate? Know any tricks on how to achieve it? Post here!
niceprotonman
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: PeiNgoTorTorCheen
If I could be anything, I would be...: me
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: TiuLengLui

Sometimes, at nights especially, even though there are people sleeping nearby, I get depressive thoughts just charging into my head.

Any tips & tricks on how to immediately get rid of these thoughts before they start to escalate?

HorizonSignal
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 5
My super power would be...: Anti-Gravity

You'll want to shift your focus away from the negative somehow.
You can invert the negative thought, contemplate it's opposite. Sometimes the opposite of a negative thought is absurd and silly (and maybe not even true), but laughter IS the best medicine...
You can focus on the present, with a mindful breath or two. Rarely are we in so much real pain, as we carry in our thoughts.
You can try gratitude, too. I know that, at the least, you have some kind of internet connection. That's a miracle that we've all just kind of.. gotten over. Perhaps you have a mattress, instead of a mat of woven leaves? Is there a roof over your head? Have you fresh food in your refrigerator? Modern life is filled with wonders and comforts; appreciation for them is a source of joy too many leave unharvested.

I hope you find yourself feeling better.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

I found 'Overcoming depression' by Paul Gilbert, available on Kindle, helped me. Basically any self help book on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy that feels accessible to you may help.

Of course it's wise to consult your own doctor or health professionals.

CBT explains how allowing depressive thought cycles to continue actually lets your body release a mix of chemicals that puts people in a depressed state. When we are able to simply stop that thought pattern we find our mood does not get so deep and unhappy - it's the body's chemical factory that responds to our thoughts that causes much of the problem - realising this was a breakthrough for me anyway.

Certain approaches to meditation involve a fairly similar technique of observing your thoughts, realising you are not your thoughts - you have thoughts but your consciousness is distinct from them. You can then look to discover a stillness between or behind the thoughts - even reach a 'no mind' / no thoughts state, which can be liberating and gives your system a break from the effect on your body of depressed or stressed thinking. That's how it has affected me for what it's worth.

There must be a lot of books out there that teach these no-mind meditation techniques. Hope this is a useful reply.

What kind of meditation do you do?

divineseeker
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Hello,
Hope the depressive thoughts vanish soon. .The suggestions given sounds good. Take care.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a practitioner
Zodiac:

Talking to your doctor might be a good Step One. Some causes of depression are medical/physical, and need a medical response to match. Sometimes, talk therapy is what works. Sometimes, a combination of the two provides the best relief.

Your doc can ask screening questions that will help determine if the cause of the symptoms is depression, bipolar, OCD (one form of which involves unwanted thoughts tormenting the person), or any other issue. Once the cause is established, you and the doctor can develop a treatment plan.

I’m sorry I didn’t spot this thread sooner.

In the meantime, some physical remedies:

- Get sunlight. It boost serotonin. Serotonin deficiencies cause depression. Use sunscreen as needed, but get out there, weather permitting.

- Exercise, even if it’s mild or moderate. This also boost serotonin.

- Limit carbs. I wish I’d known years sooner that depression causes carbohydrate cravings. Carbs artificially boost serotonin, but unfortunately the serotonin levels soon crash back down, leading to more cravings, and the cycle repeats... and in the process, the scale starts displaying undesirable numerals. Spare yourself those numerals and eat healthy carb amounts without going overboard. My doc’s suggestion was “No carbs after dinner”.

I hope this helps!

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
no name
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Your favorite spirit to work with: no anwer
If I could be anything, I would be...: no answer
My magical/paranormal name...: no answer

I can only second LIkes2Read's advice: Sunlight works for me directly, boosting my feelings. But if a depression has manifested itself for years, there can be a genetic relation, also: It can be inherited from your family. It runs in my family since several generations and so my doctor's advice was, to also use antidepressants, which I do for more than twenty years now and which really helped me. Lots of strength!

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Apart from the good advice above, and after getting advice or support from medical professionals, I found do it yourself Cognitive Behavioural Therapy very useful. I had a lightbulb moment when I read that our thought cycle actually triggers release of certain chemicals in the body, which depressively affects the body and basically sets off a vicious circle. Interrupting that thought sequence, as taught in CBT for depression, stops the release of the depressive chemicals by the factory inside our body and helps stop the downward spiral. Depression is as much a physical thing as a mental thing.

There are probably no magic bullets for anything and even in well balanced individuals their mood will vary. DIY CBT has helped me reduce the severity of that natural fluctuation.

So my top tip to anyone is find a good book on DIY CBT for Depression, and don't boycott any medical services you can access.

Another thing, which may sound a bit touchy-feely and New Age is, we're none of us perfect - we're all imperfect, but that's normal and just fine. We don't need to think badly of ourselves - the Universe / the Tao / The Creator or whatever we choose to think of it as, has created us, so we must be here for a reason and we must have a right to be here. We might as well take it easy with ourselves and not fall into the trap of thinking ill of ourselves or mentally beating ourselves up when life doesn't seem perfect. That's not a healthy thought pattern either.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I’ve had an anti-depressant prescription for about 16 years. My issue is serotonin deficiency, and the meds get my biochemicals back to the levels where they belong. It was the doc’s screening questions that led to the diagnosis, which is why the first words out of my mouth or off my keyboard are guaranteed to be, “Start with a visit to your family doctor”. That’s a familiar face, and someone with quick access to your medical history. Then he or she can go through the screening questions, get a description of your symptoms, and you can work with each other to decide what to do next.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:I’ve had an anti-depressant prescription for about 16 years. My issue is serotonin deficiency, and the meds get my biochemicals back to the levels where they belong. It was the doc’s screening questions that led to the diagnosis, which is why the first words out of my mouth or off my keyboard are guaranteed to be, “Start with a visit to your family doctor”. That’s a familiar face, and someone with quick access to your medical history. Then he or she can go through the screening questions, get a description of your symptoms, and you can work with each other to decide what to do next.
My name is Alys, and I don't make enough of my own monoamine oxidase. Storebought helps loads, but the biggest (and most surprising) missing piece was getting an adult ADHD diagnosis at the age of 36. Mine presents atypically, and since ADHD runs in packs with other disorders, it was hard to see that missing piece. Antidepressants saved my life for over a decade. ADHD medication has made the path to normal, non-crippling and reliable emotional functioning open to me for the first time I can remember.

Yes, there's always other stuff to do too. It's a whole-picture situation, mental health. But a medical doctor can be an indispensable part of that picture, and you won't know if one is unless you let one evaluate you.

LittleGreenIcon
neophyte
neophyte
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Hi
Given a majority of your replies in various threads I'm not sure if you are genuinely seeking help or trolling again. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, as this is an issue others will undoubtedly face and this thread may help them in future, not just you if you are in fact sincere.

Anybody facing intrusive depressive thoughts should see their GP for advice and referrals. People online can give you hints and tricks in coping but that should be secondary to seeing your GP. It would be reckless to substitute the support of a licensed health care professional with the advise of people over the internet. Your first port of call should be your GP.

That being said you have been given many good hints and tricks so far from people who have been in or are in similar situations to you, so bring them up with your doctor when you go in and see if they can work them into your health care plan.

Good luck, and please try to be nicer to people on the forum in future. Everyone here has jumped at the chance to help you and been constructive in your time of need, it would be nice if you could do the same.

Return to “Meditation”