biohazardzombie
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 0
Zodiac:

So I did a bit of an “oops” I was intending to show respect and honor to one of my companions (A human Japanese warrior) and I may have accidentally disrespected him by drawing my sword and bowing in a completely botched manner. I tell myself he gets it, I’m not versed well in the culture yet and the attempt was made but I am not sure. Do spirits understand this sort of thing and getting angered at this is above them?

If not, how would I go about asking for forgiveness? I have restated numerous times to him I ask for his forgiveness and that I will strive to be better and to properly learn.

The same goes to other companions whom I have not given adequate offerings to or not spent time with in a long time.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Hope this helps.

Have you learned any form of Iaido, eg from Aikido? if not, there are You tube videos...as long as your sword isn't sharpened and you're careful. Do it very slowly. Practice until you can do it fluidly, even if it's slowly. Especially when returning the sword to its place in the belt. You can have good Zanshin (spirit / style/ good finish) even if you're not a sword master.

I did Aikido for about 2 years, 4 hours a week, including basic sword quick draw. It's not too hard.
Here's one version. We did it facing forward without turning round. http://fivechanges.com/aikido/

From what I know, traditional Japanese bowing would be to indicate respect by bowing slightly lower than the person to whom you are trying to indicate respect. And you do keep your eyes on your opponent, or the person facing you, while doing so. In the relationship between martial arts student and teacher, we would bow from a kneeling posture (seiza) both hands on the mat, index fingers and thumbs forming a triangle, and say Onegai shimasu. We were told it meant 'please teach me' but it seems to also be a general gesture of respect between two meeting parties.
http://www.aikiweb.com/language/onegai.html

I think the consensus is that if we adopt an attitude of respect towards a spirit companion it tends to be reciprocated. If it's from the heart, it tends to be appreciated by spirit companions, even if we are embarrassed about having botched it. Just don't do it as a joke or in a ironic fashion perhaps.

Did the person who conjured the spirit say you have to learn sword drawing? Or has the spirit indicated they want you to learn how to draw it well? I can see how they might like it if you can. But maybe don't worry too much. Be yourself. Be respectful,... be realistic about your abilities...?

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Lewk wrote:I think the consensus is that if we adopt an attitude of respect towards a spirit companion it tends to be reciprocated. If it's from the heart, it tends to be appreciated by spirit companions, even if we are embarrassed about having botched it. Just don't do it as a joke or in a ironic fashion perhaps.
This is pretty much spot on, from what I have seen. Intent is what is respected, so the spirit should know from your heart that you meant to show respect.

However, if you feel you have insulted the spirit, make an offering of something he likes and let him know you did not mean any disrespect. A simple candle and incense with a moment of silence might do, or you can add a small amount of milk, honey, grains/oats, beer or other alcohol (especially from the region he might have lived in). Since it is a Japanese human spirit, a tea ritual to honor them might be nice. :) That can get complex, though, so make certain you are up on the protocols for that. LOL

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
biohazardzombie
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote:Hope this helps.

Have you learned any form of Iaido, eg from Aikido? if not, there are You tube videos...as long as your sword isn't sharpened and you're careful. Do it very slowly. Practice until you can do it fluidly, even if it's slowly. Especially when returning the sword to its place in the belt. You can have good Zanshin (spirit / style/ good finish) even if you're not a sword master.

I did Aikido for about 2 years, 4 hours a week, including basic sword quick draw. It's not too hard.
Here's one version. We did it facing forward without turning round. http://fivechanges.com/aikido/

From what I know, traditional Japanese bowing would be to indicate respect by bowing slightly lower than the person to whom you are trying to indicate respect. And you do keep your eyes on your opponent, or the person facing you, while doing so. In the relationship between martial arts student and teacher, we would bow from a kneeling posture (seiza) both hands on the mat, index fingers and thumbs forming a triangle, and say Onegai shimasu. We were told it meant 'please teach me' but it seems to also be a general gesture of respect between two meeting parties.

I think the consensus is that if we adopt an attitude of respect towards a spirit companion it tends to be reciprocated. If it's from the heart, it tends to be appreciated by spirit companions, even if we are embarrassed about having botched it. Just don't do it as a joke or in a ironic fashion perhaps.

Did the person who conjured the spirit say you have to learn sword drawing? Or has the spirit indicated they want you to learn how to draw it well? I can see how they might like it if you can. But maybe don't worry too much. Be yourself. Be respectful,... be realistic about your abilities...?

I was aware enough to do the (low) bow, I forgot the name but the bow you do to show respect toward a master or an elder. I also do not refer to him by his full name, using the honorific -san after his name as I'm waiting until I get his approval to use any other. My mistake was having the sword on the floor, drawn. I was completely oblivious that I should have kept it in the scabbard. My intention was to let him know that I wish to learn all he has to teach and that I hold him in high regard and respect. I have consistently voiced my regret the past two days and asked for forgiveness. Though this particular warrior was not one who really played by the rules anyway (he was considered a Rōnin) so I don't even know if the Samurai rulebook would apply. Though I don't know. I even admitted that at this point I'm not even ready to even hold my sword.

I also got the conjure from creepyhollows (https://shop.creepyhollows.com/CUSTOM-C ... AMOUS.html)

though it only had his name, no other information (since he's a well known figure). I also truly mean all I've said from the heart because I want to learn from him, but also walk my own path so to speak.

Adrasteia
active contributor
active contributor
Your favorite spirit to work with: Human and Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: a valuable person
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

biohazardzombie wrote:
Lewk wrote:Hope this helps.

I was aware enough to do the (low) bow, I forgot the name but the bow you do to show respect toward a master or an elder. I also do not refer to him by his full name, using the honorific -san after his name as I'm waiting until I get his approval to use any other. My mistake was having the sword on the floor, drawn. I was completely oblivious that I should have kept it in the scabbard. My intention was to let him know that I wish to learn all he has to teach and that I hold him in high regard and respect. I have consistently voiced my regret the past two days and asked for forgiveness. Though this particular warrior was not one who really played by the rules anyway (he was considered a Rōnin) so I don't even know if the Samurai rulebook would apply. Though I don't know. I even admitted that at this point I'm not even ready to even hold my sword.

I also got the conjure from creepyhollows (https://shop.creepyhollows.com/CUSTOM-C ... AMOUS.html)

though it only had his name, no other information (since he's a well known figure). I also truly mean all I've said from the heart because I want to learn from him, but also walk my own path so to speak.

Well, it really depends on the human being. I don't think that he'll be offended. You really try hard to be polite. I think that he might appreciate your effort. I have some aristocrats with me and I was a bit shy in the beginning. And in the end, they don't seem to mind it that much. Most of them would like me to use a nickname instead.

darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

I thought you meant you'd botched the way you drew the sword! So it was a gaffe to have left the sword out of the scabbard. I see. Yes - It's not a good idea to leave sharp undrawn blades lying around, and a drawn sword can be seen as a threat, which is possibly where any custom around not leaving a sword undrawn started.

And correct, careful / ritual use of items used to be prized in Japan, from what I've gathered.

I remember there was kind of two sides to the etiquette in my old Aikido dojo. Yes, they were teaching you to do it right and you'd be expected to observe correct etiquette during practice but the people in charge were quite warm off the mat.

Your spirit has chosen to come and be with you, so they may well be completely understanding. If you get the etiquette right it's a bonus. Please don't worry.

find it again.
biohazardzombie
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote:I thought you meant you'd botched the way you drew the sword! So it was a gaffe to have left the sword out of the scabbard. I see. Yes - It's not a good idea to leave sharp undrawn blades lying around, and a drawn sword can be seen as a threat, which is possibly where any custom around not leaving a sword undrawn started.

And correct, careful / ritual use of items used to be prized in Japan, from what I've gathered.

I remember there was kind of two sides to the etiquette in my old Aikido dojo. Yes, they were teaching you to do it right and you'd be expected to observe correct etiquette during practice but the people in charge were quite warm off the mat.

Your spirit has chosen to come and be with you, so they may well be completely understanding. If you get the etiquette right it's a bonus. Please don't worry.

He is the warrior who created the “two swords” style to give a hint as to who it is without naming him. I honestly wonder because he wrote that he used many weapons, (including an Oar). So I’m not sure if certain customs apply or not. Then again, he also talks about other arts too.. drawing for example, which I also do. Maybe I can draw with him and offer him some tea? (Not sure if cold tea or warm tea would be better)

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Zodiac:

You mean MM? If so, Oar makes sense.

And I kind of envy you. That guy stands out across the centuries as one of a kind.

I read about him a long time ago and feel he does deserve great respect. There's a famous book, which I still have, that I think conveys his spirit very clearly.

What advice does Creepy Hollows give?

I can see how learning some aspects of traditional Japanese culture such as tea ceremony may be respectful. By the way as regards sword drawing I have a sneaking suspicion this spirit may be more interested in what works than whether someone is using the right sword drawing technique or etiquette, unless it's done kind of as an offering, out of respect.

find it again.
biohazardzombie
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote:You mean MM? If so, Oar makes sense.

And I kind of envy you. That guy stands out across the centuries as one of a kind.

I read about him a long time ago and feel he does deserve great respect. There's a famous book, which I still have, that I think conveys his spirit very clearly.

What advice does Creepy Hollows give?

I can see how learning some aspects of traditional Japanese culture such as tea ceremony may be respectful. By the way as regards sword drawing I have a sneaking suspicion this spirit may be more interested in what works than whether someone is using the right sword drawing technique or etiquette, unless it's done kind of as an offering, out of respect.
The very same MM, recently I've been reading his book and his life story. Sadly though, I only got his name in my notes so I'm probably going to get the spirit biography listing on the shop to see what his preferred offerings are. He was always one who 'broke' the traditional rules after all, appearing late to duels, etc. I'm actually going to start classes at our local Dojo this summer to learn Kendo and the proper handling of the weapons. I even told him during my botched bow that "I dont even feel like I'm worthy to hold this yet and I hope that one day? I will be able to hold it properly"

I really want to dedicate time to learn his way, but also the traditions of his time period as well. What would you recommend for bonding and also honoring him? (I hold him in high regard but I have the feeling he wouldn't want to be treated like a deity or anything of that sort)

Return to “General Questions”