Has Norse mythology actually influenced modern culture/

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
safetypin90
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: none
If I could be anything, I would be...: none
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Daemon
Zodiac:

thinking.

Apart from the obvious on popular culture in the form of movies like Thor etc..

I know that week day names like Friday and Thursday derieved from gods like Freya and Thor..

What else do you think is signifcant/ or insignificant..

Yes I'm doing research :D

starfire
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 125
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

While thinking on this, I decided to tell you how these deites have had an impact around here in my neck of the words so to speak!!!!

First being in Iowa, under Minnesota, you have the Minnesota Vikings!!!

Then in our area, we had a few years back, in fact back in the 1990's, a professor of ancient history of our area, and with the help of my son and a cousin, the found remants of a viking ship in a town not to far from us, actually 35 minute drive!!! It is nestled in some very steep hills and has a unversity there as well!!!

The guy did pubish a book on viking history in the area and even the town itself has a lot of viking influnce there. Most of the people that live there have come from the scandianive countries and gremany. They hold was is called Nordic fest!!!!

So it has a great affect in this region!!!!

starfire ::dragons::

Keeper of many spirits, who I suspect are keeping me instead!!!

Keeper of Thor, my friend and protector
Merch
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Don't forget Tuesday and Wednesday! Tir's Day and Woden's Day. Heck , if you ever play Final Fantasy vii you have Middlehiem.

Several yule traditons are Viking like. I am sure if I sat down I could come up with more, but I just got off work and I am tired!!!

Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
Zodiac:

Sure it has! :) I am aware that this thread is over 7 years old, so please forgive me for resurrecting an old thread. However, maybe others here might find this of interest as to how Old Norse mythology currently influences our modern day society.
Merch wrote:Don't forget Tuesday and Wednesday! Tir's Day and Woden's Day. Heck , if you ever play Final Fantasy vii you have Middlehiem.
Vikings named days of the week in honor to the Norse gods and goddesses as well as important celestial bodies such as the Moon, Sun, and bathing, according to this article: https://www.khm.uio.no/barn-skole/barn/ ... agene.html

I am sorry that the article in the link is in Norwegian, but I will do my best to translate the different passages into English. The title of the Norwegian article literally reads: "What does the days of the week mean?" (Note: my translation) As Merch said; Tuesday is Tyr's day, Wednesday, which is translated into 'Onsdag' in Norwegian means 'Odin's day', Thursday, which is translated into 'Torsdag' in Norwegian literally means Thor's (Norwegian: Tor) day, and Friday which is translated into 'Fredag' in Norwegian, and is a day named in the honor of the Norse Godesses Frigg and Freya, which the article in the link above, also says that they are the goddesses of love and that Friday was the designated day of love. While Saturday was the day of cleanliness and cleaning (literally: day for [house] washing)(Note: All of this is my own translation of the article page and its text).

There is more, but I cannot currently find the news article that I read, to cite as a source so I will just have to leave it at that.

Szyvágr
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
Zodiac:

Edit: Edit button disappeared and I apologize for posting right after my previous as it is not my intention to spam, but I thought it was also important to note that the font in italics is also of my own doing, and is not found in or copied straight from the text in the article page, found in the link in my previous post. As to avoid any misunderstandings. Thank you!

Return to “Folklore & Legends”