On the idea that destroying the ‘dark’ part of yourself elevates you?

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

The important takeaway is that no matter how the question is framed, not one person has ever come forward with an answer that starts with, "Yes, you can turn off, remove, and/or destroy your dark side or shadow self, and this is how: <insert instructions here>". That's because no such process exists.

Shadow work exists. Integrating the various aspects of ourselves exists. Amputating parts of ourselves that belong there, that's another story. That process doesn't exist. No ethical practitioner is going to say otherwise.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

Likes2Read wrote:The important takeaway is that no matter how the question is framed, not one person has ever come forward with an answer that starts with, "Yes, you can turn off, remove, and/or destroy your dark side or shadow self, and this is how: <insert instructions here>". That's because no such process exists.
This bears repeating. Because it's not that the entire forum doesn't understand what is being gotten at. They understand just fine. They reject the premise or they disagree with the conclusions.

If you disagree, then just proceed as you were going to proceed anyway. It's beating a dead horse at this point. Repeatedly.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
Zodiac:

Not saying I disagree but just exploring ideas anyway and to debate/discuss something I didn’t mention as directly before.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

What exactly do you believe your "dark self" is, Wizard?

And from what source are you drawing the possible conclusion that removal of it would allow an evelation of self?

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Regholdain wrote:What exactly do you believe your "dark self" is, Wizard?

And from what source are you drawing the possible conclusion that removal of it would allow an evelation of self?
Its a thing in Abrahamic religions that causes sin and any immortality.

There is also the ‘outside meta perspective’ of it being related to the ‘primal drive’ which I saw successfully eliminated on a significant level, so much so that the effects looked quite physical like body being icy cold, lower heartbeat, being unable to walk fast and exert much strength or etc.

Whatever it was it’s been successfully removed.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

And when that happened the “I told you so” did kick in and I was told by my heart to take a step back from keep trying to do (or wish) it because it might lead to death.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

It was like a blast destroyed it, and “BOOM!” the ‘primal dark’ aspect described by others was totally and utterly destroyed or damaged, maybe gone from myself.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

During the experience or time the damage that occurred in my life managed to hit the thing I wished to be eliminated. I almost remembered what being dead was like briefly etc and my ability to ‘see/perceive’ things in my mind’s eye returned to the level I had during my childhood years.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I did feel utterly weakened and that something had been amputated ‘maybe’ but I succeeded greatly in the aspects of myself that I wish I was successful at for so long in that period of time. It was like a tradeoff

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I cannot speak for the third Abrahamic religion of Islam, but majority views in both Judaism and Christianity do not hold that you can excise the parts of human nature that catalyze or cause (opinions differ) sin. In fact, it would be the greatest hubris to believe that you could. Those are jobs only God can do through His forgiveness.

In fact, there’s an interesting nuance in majority Jewish thought (to the extent that there is such a thing) that both of the yetzers (which could be rendered roughly as impulses) are good, essential, God-given components of human nature. It is only when you give free reign to the yetzer ra of selfish impulses that you commit a cheit. There are many words for “sin.”

Cheit is usually the one we are talking about when we talk about sin. Cheit is a concept that does not speak of evil or immorality so much as it does a failure to live up to your potential. “Missing the mark” is a very good rendering of cheit. Because God is just, there are naturally related consequences for cheit, but because He is merciful, He provides a solution for the spiritual damage by way of forgiveness.

In Christianity, there are multiple takes on sin nature and human nature. Many of them believe that to be human is to be doomed to sin because they are touched and tainted by evil. Only a handful believe that you could purify yourself in your earthly life of the bent towards sin inflicted by this taint. For most, the spiritual damage could only be repaired through God’s forgiveness through the sacrifice of the crucifixion. It does not remove the taint in this life. It merely saves you, to whatever degree, from the ultimate sanction in the afterlife and makes a spiritually beneficial relationship with God possible in this life.

As stated above, for most Jewish thinkers, there is not an evil or immoral self that needs to be purified out. There’s a selfish impulse that is normal and healthy and good when used with balance and higher self-like thought. These things are informed by God's teachings and bolstered by His forgiveness. I’m repeating this so that we can make note of how very different it is from majority Christian views. Since Christianity sees itself as an unbroken line with Judaism, it is all too easy for people who are not Jewish to assume they think the same things on matters like these.

So in 1/3 of the Abrahamic religions, you should not try to excise the part of yourself that contains impulses that lead to sin. That is a good and necessary part of yourself. In another 1/3, it simply cannot be done in physical life regardless of whether it would be beneficial. Meaning that in 2/3 of them you cannot excise it and are not meant to—that is God’s job and it is remedial rather than curative in current physical life. It’s an organ, not a tumor. A feature, not a bug (albeit with different ideas on who installed it) for the whole of one’s present physical life on earth. And in both religions the goal of achieving one’s best self is purely incidental to the goal of right relationship with God. Perfection within a social vacuum has no place in either religion.

It’s also worth noting that while most Christians do try to resist their sinful nature—and, indeed, believe they ought to strenuously try to improve at this all the time—almost all of them recognize that they will never achieve it. Doing the work is seen to have its own value, regardless of the expectation that the work will never be complete. You should be very wary of anyone who claims they no longer sin. And if they claim that want to teach you how but don’t live in rigorously ascetic conditions, you should run immediately in the opposite direction because they have a bill of goods they would love to sell you. And it doesn’t always cost just your money.

Return to “Paranormal Energy”