active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Spelled Number: 1
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Hello,

I recently discovered that I have house wights in the basement. My keep tells me that these spirits have been in the house before I moved in. I searched the encyclopedia and the forums but haven't found any relevant information for wights in general and nothing for house wights. Maybe my searching skills aren't so great. I have the feeling that they want to be left alone but I'd still like to know what house wights are. Are there different races of wights like there are different races of dragons, elves, jinn, etc?

Thank you.

Life is more amazing when enriched with spirits. <3
divineseeker
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Hello,
Not much info on the net too. It brought me search results of casper and certain kind of alcoholic drink. Is it just umbrella term of any house spirits?

RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 42
Your favorite spirit to work with: high goblins
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven
Zodiac:

Hi there, I'd like to know what you mean exactly by wights. Do you mean ghosts? What type of spirit is this?

Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a master
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: other Deities
If I could be anything, I would be...: my primordial self
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Rungr
Zodiac:

According to research

"A wight (Old English: wiht) is a creature or living sentient being. In its original usage the word wight described a living human being, but later came to be used within the fantasy genre of literature to describe certain undead." mainly used in the Game of Thrones in the latter meaning.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss
I am a Master of my own path.
Kayori
neophyte
neophyte
If I could be anything, I would be...: Kitsune
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Whyme wrote:Hello,
I recently discovered that I have house wights in the basement. My keep tells me that these spirits have been in the house before I moved in. I searched the encyclopedia and the forums but haven't found any relevant information for wights in general and nothing for house wights. Maybe my searching skills aren't so great. I have the feeling that they want to be left alone but I'd still like to know what house wights are. Are there different races of wights like there are different races of dragons, elves, jinn, etc?
Thank you.
Rungr wrote:According to research
"A wight (Old English: wiht) is a creature or living sentient being. In its original usage the word wight described a living human being, but later came to be used within the fantasy genre of literature to describe certain undead." mainly used in the Game of Thrones in the latter meaning.
Yes, in Game of Thrones you have the White Walkers, and the Wights. The Wight Walkers are actually the ones who look different, like they are made of ice. Wights are the name given to the reanimated dead.

The term Wight is also used in The Lord of the Rings, but only the books. They were called Barrow Wights and reside in The Barrow Downs, which is somewhere near The Shire. Frodo, Pippin, and Sam are captured by them until Tom Bombadil saves them when they remember to sing a song he taught them.

They seem to be referred to as being similar to Wraiths. So what you are dealing with could be some kind of wraith, or they are another type of spirit.

divineseeker
venerated member
venerated member
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Kayori wrote:
I discovered that I have house wights in the basement. My keep tells me that these spirits have been in the house before I moved in. I searched the encyclopedia and the forums but haven't found any relevant information for wights in general and nothing for house wights. Maybe my searching skills aren't so great. I have the feeling that they want to be left alone but I'd still like to know what house wights are. Are there different races of wights like there are different races of dragons, elves, jinn, etc?
Thank you.
Yes, in Game of Thrones you have the White Walkers, and the Wights. The Wight Walkers are actually the ones who look different, like they are made of ice. Wights are the name given to the reanimated dead.

The term Wight is also used in The Lord of the Rings, but only the books. They were called Barrow Wights and reside in The Barrow Downs, which is somewhere near The Shire. Frodo, Pippin, and Sam are captured by them until Tom Bombadil saves them when they remember to sing a song he taught them.

They seem to be referred to as being similar to Wraiths. So what you are dealing with could be some kind of wraith, or they are another type of spirit.

Hello,
Thank you.That is interesting.I have not heard the term, wight before and I must be the only one in the world that did not watch Games of Thrones. Lol

So it is wight undead being. Noted.

Vampiriev
new here
new here
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 1

So this is some folk lore stuff you might find interesting. Take it for what you will.

Wights belong kinda in that group of wriaths, and draugr.

A few stories speaks of wights as not just undead beings but beings who have lost their names. Few ways they describe this is: not having a proper burial, someone scrached out their name. This makes them returned to the place of death, or burial. One thing remains the same though all the tellings wights are intelligent and have there own wants and goals.

Some stories say they are ghostly. While others talk about them being more zombie or draugr like in how they look.

Normally talked about guarding tombs, mounds, or crypts. Having the abilities to daze/stun or freeze a person to a spot with a single touch.

As I said this is just some old folk lore stuff I found/knew and thought it would be fun to share.

RavenConspiracy
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 100
Spelled Number: 42
Your favorite spirit to work with: high goblins
If I could be anything, I would be...: dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven
Zodiac:

Thank you.
It's been a little while--so we can help you better, could you come back and maybe describe what it is you're seeing?

laalbieglna
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 425
Spelled Number: 125
Your favorite spirit to work with: My Own Companions
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
Zodiac:

"Wight" is an Anglo-Saxon word that means "spirit". Saying a house has a house wight is like saying you have a soul -- it is the actual spirit of the building itself. There are traditional ways of working with them in various cultures. If you want more information specifically about befriending and working with them, the best published information comes from Northern Tradition shamanic workers. The book "Neolithic Shamanism" has some introductory information about them and a variety of other basic spiritual practices, and I would be happy to help you if you are actually looking to incorporate them into your spiritual practices and recognize them as a part of your broader spiritual family.

Whyme
active contributor
active contributor
Spelled Number: 1
Zodiac:

Thank you all for your replies. I find it interesting that there's different thoughts as to what wights are and what they do.

I did some more digging and found out that wights come from Norse folk lore. From what I understand, the term wight is an umbrella term for land spirits which, I believe, explains the different kinds of wights. The closest I got for a house wight is that they basically do the same thing as brownies do.

I haven't developed clairvoyancy, so I can't see him. I didn't like the idea that he hadn't ventured out of the basement at all, so I offered him a strawberry which he loved. That made him happy and got him talking to me when I was trying to fall asleep, lol. Apparently, he'd been in the basement since the house was built several decades ago. He had followed a family from Norway and ended up here and stayed in the basement all of that time.

I told him the house rules and my keep helped him settle in. He did make friends with them so he's a good fit with my keep.

Life is more amazing when enriched with spirits. <3

Return to “Spirit Keeping”