Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: All so far
If I could be anything, I would be...: Faerie
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Reverie Dawn

Empath losing empathy

Postby ReverieDawn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:52 pm

This spawned from a fight I had with my mother last night. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not so if it isn't, just let me know.

Can an empath lose their empathy?

I have always been a super sensitive person, to the point I would cry for others even if they aren't crying. However over the last few years, I have found that my empathy has waned. I am not quite sure how to describe it.

I am constantly surrounded by negative energies, I am being treated for depression medically and have been contemplating going to therapy, I know for a fact that my own mental issues and energies are all out of wack. I hate myself, the person that I have become, and every time that I try to make something better in my life it ALWAYS backfires leaving me feeling worse than I did when I began.

I miss who I was as a child, heck even as a teenager, where I could feel something other than anger and sadness. I am almost 100% sure that this is a medical thing, but I do not know much about being a balanced empath and didn't know if what I am going through has the power to affect it or completely make it disappear?

~~~We're all in the same game, just different levels. Living in the same hell, only different devils~~~

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 27
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys

Re: Empath losing empathy

Postby Alys-RaccoonReadings » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:39 pm

For me, personally, when my clinical depression spikes, it dampens all of my perceptive abilities, and that dampening scales with the severity of the depression. So, in my case, the medical affects the non-medical.

I have also noticed that if I hit a certain level of fatigue--whether physical or otherwise--it dampens the totality my emotional experience, from empathy to what I feel on my own.

Treating those root causes usually resolves the issue for me.

YMMV.

LittleGreenIcon
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Postby LittleGreenIcon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 am

I have also found the same thing.
When I am having a bad time of it, my abilities are harder to access and I cant make clear connections. When I am in a good place everything comes through easily.
Its kind of like water - when it is still and calm we can see clearly to the bottom and all that teems within it. But when its choppy and we are disturbed by our own troubles, thoughts and emotions, it becomes hard to see anything else at all.
Try to be gentle on yourself, and make an appointment with a GP to discuss what is going on. They may start you on some medications to give you a boost and some counselling to deal with deeper issues.

Regholdain
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Succubus
If I could be anything, I would be...: Incubus
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Postby Regholdain » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:41 am

I think, anecdotally, I agree with Alys and LittleGreenIcon. When I'm in a depressed state and there's a lot of stress going on, I'm sad, whatever, my abilities usually take a nosedive. Sometimes it's barely an issue, other times I feel like an entire limb just got amputated. It usually doesn't help improve my mood. LOL

GodSlayerBabe
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 65
Spelled Number: 20
Your favorite spirit to work with: Galv or Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet

Postby GodSlayerBabe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am

Dang. Pretty much same. Had a fight with my mother recently who is my lifelong abuser. The result was a huge mental breakdown and I felt like I was breaking at the seams. I'm an empath too actually and I often think to myself I really am not or everything is replaced with resentment or cynicism. I have moments I tell myself I'm going to become nihilistic and just be harsh... It's what I wish I was at times. I just want to not care and wish terrible things. But in the end I still feel I am an empath because I still absorb way too much of people's thoughts and feelings without letting it visibly show.
If you feel therapy is right for you then I would say go for it. I walked myself to therapy for years and it did help me in many aspects. In fact I'm thinking of going back to one myself this month.
I kind of relate to the post because I'm a very sensitive person too and I spent a lot of my childhood crying all the time. I ended up learning to train myself to act cold and numb.. but now people mistaken it for me not being caring/compassionate.
It can really mess with your abilities too. So I am on the same boat of believing that as well.

안영.
"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."
[who i am] hereditary clairvoyant & divinator / precognitive / dream medium
[current practices] necromancy, traditional witchcraft, demonolatry, a bit eclectic
[spirit family] many humans / witches / DA-leaning / some WA / demonolator
[My Princes ♥] Warlock | Ryles Demon | Vamp-Incubi

I am the host alter of a DID system normally fronting and speaking: Violet.
The other one is Victor.

creepyhollows
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons

Postby creepyhollows » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I am almost 100% sure that this is a medical thing, but I do not know much about being a balanced empath and didn't know if what I am going through has the power to affect it or completely make it disappear?

Being an Empath and having an interactive engagement with others through emotions means that when your emotions are altered from any source (medical, personal, magickal), that you are going to see your Empath abilities ebb & flow with the atmosphere around you.

I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself when it comes to your Empath abilities, because you don't lose your gift, you just learn to work with it based on your current circumstances. <3 Embrace yourself, and love yourself for who you are, and don't get caught up in expectations based on the past. Adulting is hard LOL

When you're a child or teenager, you hopefully do not have the levels of stress & responsibility that you have when you age, and your spectrum of emotions is new :) However, as you grow, you learn that the world is not black & white, and there is much to be learned and experienced with the people around you :)

You have to learn how to take this gift that was given to you and use it in correlation with your medical issues, personal issues, and turn every difficulty into an opportunity to lift yourself up <3

Don't hate yourself, you are beautiful, you are here because the Universe ordained you to be a light for yourself & others, you are a child of stardust and starlight 8*8

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER

Return to “What Went Wrong?”