Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: All so far
If I could be anything, I would be...: Faerie
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Reverie Dawn

Empath losing empathy

Postby ReverieDawn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:52 pm

This spawned from a fight I had with my mother last night. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not so if it isn't, just let me know.

Can an empath lose their empathy?

I have always been a super sensitive person, to the point I would cry for others even if they aren't crying. However over the last few years, I have found that my empathy has waned. I am not quite sure how to describe it.

I am constantly surrounded by negative energies, I am being treated for depression medically and have been contemplating going to therapy, I know for a fact that my own mental issues and energies are all out of wack. I hate myself, the person that I have become, and every time that I try to make something better in my life it ALWAYS backfires leaving me feeling worse than I did when I began.

I miss who I was as a child, heck even as a teenager, where I could feel something other than anger and sadness. I am almost 100% sure that this is a medical thing, but I do not know much about being a balanced empath and didn't know if what I am going through has the power to affect it or completely make it disappear?

~~~We're all in the same game, just different levels. Living in the same hell, only different devils~~~

Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 27
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys

Re: Empath losing empathy

Postby Alys-RaccoonReadings » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:39 pm

For me, personally, when my clinical depression spikes, it dampens all of my perceptive abilities, and that dampening scales with the severity of the depression. So, in my case, the medical affects the non-medical.

I have also noticed that if I hit a certain level of fatigue--whether physical or otherwise--it dampens the totality my emotional experience, from empathy to what I feel on my own.

Treating those root causes usually resolves the issue for me.

YMMV.

LittleGreenIcon
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

Postby LittleGreenIcon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 am

I have also found the same thing.
When I am having a bad time of it, my abilities are harder to access and I cant make clear connections. When I am in a good place everything comes through easily.
Its kind of like water - when it is still and calm we can see clearly to the bottom and all that teems within it. But when its choppy and we are disturbed by our own troubles, thoughts and emotions, it becomes hard to see anything else at all.
Try to be gentle on yourself, and make an appointment with a GP to discuss what is going on. They may start you on some medications to give you a boost and some counselling to deal with deeper issues.

Regholdain
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Succubus
If I could be anything, I would be...: Incubus

Postby Regholdain » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:41 am

I think, anecdotally, I agree with Alys and LittleGreenIcon. When I'm in a depressed state and there's a lot of stress going on, I'm sad, whatever, my abilities usually take a nosedive. Sometimes it's barely an issue, other times I feel like an entire limb just got amputated. It usually doesn't help improve my mood. LOL

GodSlayerBabe
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 70
Spelled Number: 25
Your favorite spirit to work with: Galv, Humans, Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet

Postby GodSlayerBabe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am

Dang. Pretty much same. Had a fight with my mother recently who is my lifelong abuser. The result was a huge mental breakdown and I felt like I was breaking at the seams. I'm an empath too actually and I often think to myself I really am not or everything is replaced with resentment or cynicism. I have moments I tell myself I'm going to become nihilistic and just be harsh... It's what I wish I was at times. I just want to not care and wish terrible things. But in the end I still feel I am an empath because I still absorb way too much of people's thoughts and feelings without letting it visibly show.
If you feel therapy is right for you then I would say go for it. I walked myself to therapy for years and it did help me in many aspects. In fact I'm thinking of going back to one myself this month.
I kind of relate to the post because I'm a very sensitive person too and I spent a lot of my childhood crying all the time. I ended up learning to train myself to act cold and numb.. but now people mistaken it for me not being caring/compassionate.
It can really mess with your abilities too. So I am on the same boat of believing that as well.

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."
[who i am] hereditary clairvoyant / dream medium / spirit partner / LGBTQ+
[current practices] necromancy / trad. witchcraft / demonolatry / grey-natured
[spirit family] many humans / witches / demons / DA-leaning

DID PLURAL SYSTEM: Violet (Host), Victor, and some others.

Magnolia
Site Admin
Site Admin
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 10000
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons

Postby Magnolia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I am almost 100% sure that this is a medical thing, but I do not know much about being a balanced empath and didn't know if what I am going through has the power to affect it or completely make it disappear?

Being an Empath and having an interactive engagement with others through emotions means that when your emotions are altered from any source (medical, personal, magickal), that you are going to see your Empath abilities ebb & flow with the atmosphere around you.

I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself when it comes to your Empath abilities, because you don't lose your gift, you just learn to work with it based on your current circumstances. <3 Embrace yourself, and love yourself for who you are, and don't get caught up in expectations based on the past. Adulting is hard LOL

When you're a child or teenager, you hopefully do not have the levels of stress & responsibility that you have when you age, and your spectrum of emotions is new :) However, as you grow, you learn that the world is not black & white, and there is much to be learned and experienced with the people around you :)

You have to learn how to take this gift that was given to you and use it in correlation with your medical issues, personal issues, and turn every difficulty into an opportunity to lift yourself up <3

Don't hate yourself, you are beautiful, you are here because the Universe ordained you to be a light for yourself & others, you are a child of stardust and starlight 8*8

De lumière et aime

Magnolia.
Site owner

Knowledge is POWER

HunniBunz
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 2
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: I don't have one yet
My magical/paranormal name...: Don't have one yet

Postby HunniBunz » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 am

As I read you post @ReverieDawn I felt like you spoke my words and it makes me feel "not alone" . As I too face quite toxic "relationship" with my mother and PTSD since childhood . One of the things that I found that helped me was realizing that in this world in the end of the day YOU is what you need to put in priority and truly learn yourself . But for someone like me who's been having hardly any parenting guidance nor much of a stable presence , at some things I had to learn faster and some things of life only with age . And not knowing how to proccess "traumatic" experiences and having them take away 15 years of life and giving you depressing that turns you into walking "bio-robot" .
Now at 33 I feel that I finally exist as me In my human body as an energy / spirit . But when we covered in stress and have it pile up and not having ability to unload it and or proccess it correctly , so we can move on and live a normal life . I guess at one point of life you'll end up truly asking yourself ' Ok what Is going on I can't go on like this If I keep boiling this inside me , I will burn out like candle light ! ' And I did too was extremely social friendly , empathic person that would love everyone and everything regardless . Now I just live for me , being grateful to exist in this human "vessel" and have freedom and ability to live how I choose to .
And of course last it's important to have someone , just one person in your life that will be there and allow you to just unload . Because if it wasn't for my neighbor and friend for 10 years , I wouldn't be where I am . And that was total stranger , that was always to herself and when you would look at her you know she's been through hell and wants nothing to do with another human being . Yet with her help and being there for all this years , when I was completely alone . She listen , allowed me to speak out and unload all those piles ( I call them layers of pain aka onion layers in our memory storage , that pile up other decades of existence ) . Gave advice's if I needed them , allowed me make mistakes and have our "break ups" to let anger calm down so we can figure out what are we ready "mad " at and laugh it off and move on . Because of her I was properly diagnosed with PTSD , when before It was just "clinical depression " She taught me what PTSD and trauma is and not just people that go to war get them ( I as born and raised in Russia , didn't even thought to assume I can have it in the begging ) .
All those things and more done by total stranger , who had her own share of horribly life and several close call suicide attempts .
And now I just understand that We to your self's is what must matter and not in selfish way . But just like you getting to know new person , we should truly learn ourselves first . I'm great lover of saying "everything happens for a reason" ! It's just a lesson for us to learn and or help us grow . I still finding gold middle and unfolding more "onion rings" , but finding that "peace and feel of stability within you "
helped me to balance my years of anger brought from traumas and allow that to be in past and not close doors on what amazing might come .

And @ReverieDawn I genuinely hope it will know on your door soon too!
;) ()

HunniBunz
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: I don't have one yet
My magical/paranormal name...: Don't have one yet

Postby HunniBunz » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:43 am

And @ReverieDawn I genuinely hope it will knock on your "door" soon too!

Whimsy
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unsure
If I could be anything, I would be...: A type of elemental
My magical/paranormal name...: Not yet known

Postby Whimsy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:10 am

Yes you can because you are picking up the energies of those around you. Whether those are good or bad. You don't have to sympathize with them to feel whatever it is that they're feeling. You'll know and somewhat even experience their experience if you focus hard enough on them.

I think most empaths have a hard time separating themselves from everyone else around them and that is why as an empath it's even more important to surround yourself with people who are the way you want to be because you will pick up on everything and it can be detrimental if you don't manage yourself properly.

Cheshire Kitten ^..^ :)|

Whimsy
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unsure
If I could be anything, I would be...: A type of elemental
My magical/paranormal name...: Not yet known

Postby Whimsy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:30 am

Another thing you'll need to work on is how to deal with these emotions as they're coming to you. I bet you've been subconsciously shutting everything out but that's equally as dangerous because you're draining yourself of your vitality and keeping yourself from actually handling problems. (Even if you don't think you're doing this, you're probably avoiding more than you should be)

It's scary but that's why you start small. I know this may sound weird but try bonding with a small child or pet. A child works better because their needs are more intricate but basically open yourself up to their experience and see what you can do to enhance it. Really try and understand them, what they're feeling and what they're going through. If you feel really weird about children, that's okay too just find someone you feel comfortable with and practice.

Pay attention and you'll learn how to bend all sorts of energies in better directions. You'll find that you might be a better problem solver than you think and instead of feeling overwhelmed by everything you'll feel more empowered in your day to day life.

Also, protect yourself! I can't stress this enough. If you feel overwhelmed realize that this is okay. It's okay to leave and you do not always have to do something about it. This will be the hardest lesson of all because if you don't do this enough, you'll wear yourself down and then you'll be help to nobody.

Cheshire Kitten ^..^ :)|

Return to “What Went Wrong?”