Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

nina wrote:
Aurum wrote:There are many kinds of angels an not all of them follow Yahweh.
Which are those angels?
In the past I have spent ages scrolling through all the Shop listings for Angels. That way you can get a broader perspective on the variation there is between different types of Angels.

If I remember correctly I've seen a discussion here before that suggests the broad category of Angels might be far broader than we think when we look at it from a Judeo-Christian perspective. There could have been Angels that belonged to other religions or who pre-date all planet Earth religions.

If our definition of Angel is beings who have a relationship with Jehovah / Yahweh / 'God', then we would need a different word to describe angelic beings who don't. I think what we see in the types of Angels known to Creepy Hollows is a broader range than those who are known to Judeo-Christianity. They are still Angels though. The Angelic energy is very interesting and can be recognisable like fae energy can be.

I have this binding, which is unfortunately out of stock in the shop. The description that comes with it maybe gives a better idea of what I'm getting at:

Angelic spell of Omogi for ancient power of the first origin. This spell is the ancient beginnings of Angelic power and it possesses the root of everything which is and can be the beginnings of Angelic influence. It has a raw and organic power which takes root within you and grows the Angelic power of energy, magick, and spiritual connection within you.

This comes from actual energy, rather than human dogma, if you see what I mean. There's a kind of disjunct between modern views on angels and what we encounter as spirit keepers.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Johnny Seraph
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 6
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gregori Watcher
If I could be anything, I would be...: Angel
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
Zodiac:

Ah, the "Wings of Desire" problem.

(As an aside: If you've never seen that 1980's classic, do yourself a favor, and see it. Better yet, buy it on the best format you have access to: it's a movie that grows with you, and it also is one of the last films shot in divided Berlin.)

Anyway, the short version of the film's take on angels, is that they just lovingly observe, and never partake. And so, you get Damiel thinking how nice it would be, to come home and feed the cat, like Philip Marlowe; to take off your shoes and wiggle your toes, "barefoot, like this"; finally to suspect, instead of endlessly knowing all.

And while a lot of that does come across as a reminder of just how good it is to be alive, it does make life as an angel look depressingly bleak.

I'll put up one other "for what it's worth," this one from John Milton: what we enjoy, angels enjoy, just in a different way. One of the angels in my keep tells me that some of what we don't know about angels, we CAN'T know, because we don't have any frame of reference, and thus, we couldn't conceptualize, or describe in words, what angels are sometimes doing, even if we did happen to see it firsthand.

Taken together, yes, angels do have fun; but their idea of the concept differs from what we tend to think of it.

And in a way, it does make sense: to put it in pop culture terms, I never watched a single minute out of the aggregate 72 hours and 34 minutes of "Game of Thrones," but I gladly sank north of 100 hours into my first run through Persona 5.

nina
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 7
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Not sure yet
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Angelika

Johnny Seraph wrote:Ah, the "Wings of Desire" problem.

(As an aside: If you've never seen that 1980's classic, do yourself a favor, and see it. Better yet, buy it on the best format you have access to: it's a movie that grows with you, and it also is one of the last films shot in divided Berlin.)

Anyway, the short version of the film's take on angels, is that they just lovingly observe, and never partake. And so, you get Damiel thinking how nice it would be, to come home and feed the cat, like Philip Marlowe; to take off your shoes and wiggle your toes, "barefoot, like this"; finally to suspect, instead of endlessly knowing all.

And while a lot of that does come across as a reminder of just how good it is to be alive, it does make life as an angel look depressingly bleak.

I'll put up one other "for what it's worth," this one from John Milton: what we enjoy, angels enjoy, just in a different way. One of the angels in my keep tells me that some of what we don't know about angels, we CAN'T know, because we don't have any frame of reference, and thus, we couldn't conceptualize, or describe in words, what angels are sometimes doing, even if we did happen to see it firsthand.

Taken together, yes, angels do have fun; but their idea of the concept differs from what we tend to think of it.

And in a way, it does make sense: to put it in pop culture terms, I never watched a single minute out of the aggregate 72 hours and 34 minutes of "Game of Thrones," but I gladly sank north of 100 hours into my first run through Persona 5.
Just now I read the plot of “wings of desire” .. It seems to be a melancholic film .. not much of story from the plot ... one angel becomes a mortal for love and another one refuses to and possibly goes back .. I’ll watch it anyhow but it appears to me that the movie will be slow moving.

Yes you are right that some of what we don’t know about angels we will never know , as even if we see it we will not understand what it is, as it’s foreign to us. But I am also wondering , when man first encountered fire for the first time, he was scared because he didn’t know what it was , and then he learnt how to make use of it ... Similarly all other discoveries and inventions when first encountered by humans I assume would have been the same effect until we ultimately learned to understand and how to use them. In that aspect I find it bit hard to subscribe to what your angel saying , unless I completely misunderstood , is that we can’t know because there is no frame of existence .. There must be a starting point somewhere to make a frame of existence . I could understand if there are things we are not meant to know because of reasons like we may abuse the power and so on , but things we are not meant to know because we would not anyway because we will not recognise it as we haven’t been exposed to it , I am not sure , unless I completely misunderstood what your angel meant to say.

Off to a rollercoaster ride of a lifetime 1h
Johnny Seraph
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 6
Your favorite spirit to work with: Gregori Watcher
Zodiac:

Just got a bit of a brainwave on this, origin uncertain, and again, for what it's worth.

I had a hymn rolling around in my head, that I couldn't figure out why it was just stuck on repeat. It was a William J. Reynolds number called "People To People." Lots of rhetorical questions in the lyrics, and you can look it up yourself if you're of a mind.

But for this, let's reverse it, and look at how humans have fun. How do you explain hide-and-seek to a spirit that can instantly see anything it looks for? How do you explain the game of tag, or for that matter, duck duck goose, to someone that's multipresent?

See what I'm getting at?

Luminoire
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 0

nina wrote:Just protecting humans and singing praises to God?.... Just wondering... They are so magnificent and powerful that there must be something else they do ... something really big..
Angels serve the divine light. They remind us that we also have a divine part in us, that we too are a part of God / Creation and that we are in the midst of creation.
Any sense of separation in us is an illusion, it is impossible to exist outside the source.
The angels help us on this way to discover ourselves again completely with the divine in us.
The angels embody different pure divine qualities and are the mediators between God and man.

Rungr
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: other Deities
If I could be anything, I would be...: my primordial self
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Rungr
Zodiac:

Luminoire wrote:
nina wrote:Just protecting humans and singing praises to God?.... Just wondering... They are so magnificent and powerful that there must be something else they do ... something really big..
Angels serve the divine light. They remind us that we also have a divine part in us, that we too are a part of God / Creation and that we are in the midst of creation.
Any sense of separation in us is an illusion, it is impossible to exist outside the source.
The angels help us on this way to discover ourselves again completely with the divine in us.
The angels embody different pure divine qualities and are the mediators between God and man.
That's not quite true, voidlings exist outside of source because their source is the void and the void is separate from the source most tend to view as God. Separation I do agree to an extent is an illusion but not entirely. Souls similar to my own who come from the void at least the void I speak of have no ties to angels besides this life or past lives. Personally, I have ties to beings that are like sentinels, however. Which when most see them they take the form of what a person's mind can comprehend.

Meinkráka
Gammleið
Inn bundni áss
I am a Master of my own path.
lolaberry
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 31
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My magical/paranormal name...: Mystic fire

I love this, my Angels went through so much with me. Keeping me safe from harm must of been such hard work and extremely interesting at times. Looking back Im amazed Im alive today . So nope Im sure its never boring with people like me about ha ha

2wk ::uni:: ::dragons:: ::dragons:: :rainbow:
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
Zodiac:

How are angels defined here though? A question I haven't really asked when I came.

Didn't the early concept of angels predating Judaism I think essentially refer to land spirits and deities who are considered benevolent, with 'demons' in early phrase of use referring to essentially malicious ones? Thus some humans or certain human spirits could reach the status of being angels possibly depending.

I'm aware that angels in Christianity and Judaism may differ as in being servants of Yahweh.

Whimsy
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unsure
If I could be anything, I would be...: A type of elemental
My magical/paranormal name...: Not yet known

I believe there are also dark angels. Not necessarily fallen but angels that are born from divine darkness.

Cheshire Kitten ^..^ :)|

The Old God sleeps
down in the dark, moist,
odorous underfoot,
Waiting for us
To put down our roots.
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)

Wizard wrote:How are angels defined here though? A question I haven't really asked when I came.

Didn't the early concept of angels predating Judaism I think essentially refer to land spirits and deities who are considered benevolent, with 'demons' in early phrase of use referring to essentially malicious ones? Thus some humans or certain human spirits could reach the status of being angels possibly depending.

I'm aware that angels in Christianity and Judaism may differ as in being servants of Yahweh.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/angel
"one of a class of spiritual beings, attendants and messengers of God," a c. 1300 fusion of Old English engel (with hard -g-) and Old French angele. Both are from Late Latin angelus, from Greek angelos, literally "messenger, envoy, one that announces," in the New Testament "divine messenger," which is possibly related to angaros "mounted courier," both from an unknown Oriental word (Watkins compares Sanskrit ajira- "swift;" Klein suggests Semitic sources). Used in Scriptural translations for Hebrew mal'akh (yehowah) "messenger (of Jehovah)," from base l-'-k "to send." An Old English word for it was aerendgast, literally "errand-spirit."
I don't think the word angel itself refers to any sort of ethical classification, or that anything about an angel would be good. I don't know it offhand but I seem to remember some angels in the biblical texts being less than good natured.

Note also that the etymology does not necessarily refer to specific gods, so there could very well be angelic races solely interested in sharing the divine unrelated to any deity. That certainly seems to be the case with many of those beings.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Angels”