You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: Kitsune
If I could be anything, I would be...: Pegasus
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Speaking from my own experiences they are definitely not slaves to me in any sense.

If they wished to leave they could very easily leave and came to me of their own free will.

Believe me if a spirit wishes to leave, is unhappy etc you will KNOW.

Anyone foolish enough to even believe you can control a spirit against its will is either a complete novice with no real respect for the feelings or willful nature of a spirit about to enter into a very unpleasant world of hurt when the spirit gives them back a message of "back off NOW!" or has a very black heart in which case well... let' s just say karma can be vicious to ones who abuse the natural forces of magical energy and spirits.

They bond with who they bond with of their own choice.

LemonLavender
new here
new here
Answers: 0
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 1
Your favorite spirit to work with: Jinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Nymph
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Like you said, if a spirit wanted to leave you would know it. I have a Djinn that helps me to keep money flowing into my purse. If that Djinn wanted to leave and I stopped them, they could mess with my money. You don't want your spirits who know how you work messing with you.

Also, spirit keeping is about building a relationship and friendship with spirits. Why would you try to enslave your friend or force them to do something against their will?

Cassiel
new here
new here
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 1
Spelled Number: 2
Your favorite spirit to work with: Succubus
If I could be anything, I would be...: Archangel
My magical/paranormal name...: Qasiel

I have met practitioners who forcefully bind spirits. Oftentimes the binding does not hold and the spirit sets out for revenge. One time a person I met in an occult forum bragged to me about the spirits he kept. We put a lot of effort into breaking those spirits free. His response was to try and burn my house down with a fresh spirit he had caught. You could tell by the distinctive burn pattern the failed fire left that there was a spirit involved. Either way it is a barbaric practice that leads to difficulties for the binder later on when revenge is sought.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I think it's important to remind everyone that spirit keeping in the sense meant in this forum, the way that it is practiced by CH, is in the form of a mutual binding for protection and clarity of communication for companionship. There is nothing forceful about it when it comes to the spirits involved, and they are not trapped or forced to do anyone's bidding.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Red6joker
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 11
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: GA,DA, some WA
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal/incubus
My magical/paranormal name...: Neso

I think of spirit keeping as having a close extended family. Just my two cents.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)

bump

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
PrincessKnight
neophyte
neophyte
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Beautiful post, Magnolia, I really needed to read it! <3

Faolan
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 222
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Bigfoot
If I could be anything, I would be...: A lycan
My super power would be...: Super speed
Zodiac:

Magnolia wrote: Fri May 21, 2010 11:57 pm If you are new to the paranormal world of collecting you may think that keeping the Fae, Djinn, Unicorn, and other Creatures is a form of slavery as they are bound permanently to a vessel...that's not quite the case. When an entity dies their spirit is released and becomes unattached. It is free to exist and roam without restriction anywhere. Most of the time the spirits disappear never to be heard from again and perhaps once in awhile a human may encounter a temperature change, energy disturbance or see/feel/hear something they can't explain and it might be the spirit of one of these entities. However, when they are bound to a vessel it gives them a home, a sanctuary, the ability to belong and participate in an active lifestyle and you will find that they become "alive" again. They want to feel loved, wanted, fulfilled the same as when they existed in their original form. Though they are active in the physical, spiritual and astral realms differently than humans and with a more participatory bond they still want to capture the feeling of belonging. It is not like trapping a genie inside of a bottle as folklore reads, the spirit isn’t actually trapped inside of the vessel like a prison, the vessel is an attachment to them so they have immediate access to you and vice versa. As well as having a vessel allows you to cast additional amenities such as protection spells, enhancing spells, and other enchantments that provide them assistance in the physical realm. No spirit is bound against their will.

You will find that giving an entity a home that doesn't have one makes them grateful and they want to do anything to please because it lets them know they are not forgotten and you have the great privilege of being part of an entity that hasn't existed on the earth's soil for sometimes thousands of years. It is a preservation of their culture, race and beliefs and that makes them immortal and that makes them happy. That is why we go through such pains to bind the spirits of any and all entities we can find to give them a home, make them feel loved and not let those who lived here even before humans become forgotten.
I agree with the essence of this forum post, and would like to add that this perspective on binding spirits to vessels in the paranormal world reflects a deep respect for the entities involved. The process is not about subjugation or confinement, but rather about creating a mutual bond and a form of sanctuary for these spirits.

By giving these entities a vessel, we're not only preserving their essence but also allowing them to interact with the physical world in a meaningful way. This interaction can be beneficial for both the spirit and the collector, forming a symbiotic relationship where both parties gain something valuable. The collector gains insight, protection, and the unique experience of interacting with a being from another realm, while the entity gains a sense of belonging and purpose, something they might have lost upon leaving their physical form.

Moreover, this practice can be seen as a form of cultural preservation. By binding these spirits, we're keeping alive the stories, beliefs, and histories of races and cultures that may have otherwise been forgotten. It's a way of honoring the past and ensuring that the legacy of these entities continues into the future.

It's essential, however, to approach this practice with the utmost respect and understanding. The binding should be done ethically, ensuring that the spirit is willing and that the relationship is based on mutual respect and benefit. The goal should always be to provide a safe haven for these entities, allowing them to thrive and interact with our world in a positive and fulfilling way.

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”