You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 6
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Nephenthe

I have a handfull of companions now. my question is, Is it an issue to share the name of your compaions or any other information with trusted individuals or is will this cause issues or a lack of trust with compaions?

InfernalNachos
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: Djinn
If I could be anything, I would be...: Something Fuzzy...
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Personal

I'd go with a hard no. A hard no, as in do not share their names.

I'm not the authority on this, by any means.

But names were always a private thing. Full true names are a powerful thing, as I've always understood it. Think rumplestiltskin.

Think asian cultures where only close friends and family were allowed to call people by their given name, and all others were required to use their family name or be considered disrespectful.

Think how a great deal of people actively guard or hide their middle names. It seems almost instinct.

Do nothing that is of no use.
-Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of the Five Rings-

Why waste magick on something you could easily achieve through time, effort and dedication?

Beware the noobsauce (take with salt)
Dragona
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 75
Spelled Number: 44
Your favorite spirit to work with: Dragons
If I could be anything, I would be...: goddess
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

No, don't give out their names.

I don't know any spirit keeper that gives out their companions names to anyone and this is something I was taught not to do many, many years ago. You can say the species/race or state the first letter of their name but that is as far as it goes.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I would first check with the spirit and see how they feel about it on a case by case basis. Like others said I would err on the side of caution.

The problem with trust is it can be broken and if you have any conflicts with people, especially those involved in the meta, they could attempt to interfere with you and your spirit companions.

There's only two people I have shared the names of a few of my companions with and I know both are ethically sound and even if we had a conflict they wouldn't do anything to amuse that knowledge. But I have no intention of sharing with anyone else, and certainly not everyone's names.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
denanna123
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 42
Spelled Number: 40
If I could be anything, I would be...: Djinn
My magical/paranormal name...: NannaDee
Zodiac:

I think it's really a personal preference. Many people don't/won't give out their spirits names, it's sort of a tradition, especially in this community.
Personally my BFF and I talk about our companions by name (to each other) all the time. It's really all up to you and the people you want to share with (and your companions of course).

Do your own thing on your own terms and get what you came here for.
-Oliver James
featheredstar
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 31
Spelled Number: 10
Your favorite spirit to work with: Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: a wolf

I echo previous thoughts;

Only if the spirit is comfortable with the person you are sharing their name with would I ever share the name with, and even then I'll give great consideration to that person. Personally, I'd rather just stick with given nicknames if I am to refer to a specific spirit of mine, or just stick to the initials of the spirit by referring them as (X) or (XX). And never ever share it anywhere online as you don't know who could take advantage of it. There's a few spirits of mine who never want their actual name shared, and others who don't really mind it as long as the person is trustworthy and I know they'll never use their name. There is probably only 2 or 3 people I've shared actual names with, and not everyone's name has been shared. ^^

They/Them
The family: 2 dragons, 5 vampires, 2 fae, 2 elves, 2 werewolves, 1 fylgia, 1 courtwind angel, 3 ancestors, 2 phoenix, 1 hellhound, 1 volfen, 1 living high elf, 1 living unicorn shifter, 1 kitsune, 1 familiar, 1 wraith, 1 will-of-the-wisp, 1 gryphon, 1 human, 1 fallen angel, 1 merman,
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

For sure, the recommendation for the forum is to err on the side of caution and follow the custom here of not giving our spirit's names - sometimes initials are given. Every post here is Googleable.

Personally I can't think of a circumstance in which I'd want to share my bound spirits' names with people irl.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
InfernalNachos
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 4
If I could be anything, I would be...: Something Fuzzy...
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: Personal

I still go with a hard no. If that entity wants to share their name with another person, they will.

All due respect. But it's like telling someone else's secret to anyone else. Even with permission. I see it as speaking out of turn.

Do nothing that is of no use.
-Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of the Five Rings-

Why waste magick on something you could easily achieve through time, effort and dedication?

Beware the noobsauce (take with salt)
shieon
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

I usually only share my spirit or being's names if it's with a trusted person/spirit worker and if the spirit or being doesn't mind + you have their consent. It has to hit this criteria for me. Though even IF I loosely trust the person I still may use an alias or initial. Some of my spirits don't mind, but that doesn't mean I will just share it with just anyone even if they are okay with it. I don't really share mine on a public sphere generally and I don't know of any other spirit worker who does that either. I can only count 3-4 people who are both a spirit worker and friend to me that I've shared the names of less than 5 of my spirits with, honestly. I have more than 50 in my spirit family and so it's always been those few spirits I've ever really talked about to these same individuals. On one of my social medias I do share only one of my spirit's names publicly whenever I post about them, and they don't mind.
Just a thought - maybe the other person may seem well-dispositioned to you, but who knows, maybe the spirit may have a higher awareness of that person. So yeah I can see there potentially being an issue. (It's just an example but you probs get the idea) THOUGH on the flip side of it...I still say exercise your best judgment with the people you think you "trust" even if the spirit gives you their permission.

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

SilentiumBelladonna
new here
new here
Zodiac:

InfernalNachos wrote:I'd go with a hard no. A hard no, as in do not share their names.

I'm not the authority on this, by any means.

But names were always a private thing. Full true names are a powerful thing, as I've always understood it. Think rumplestiltskin.

Think asian cultures where only close friends and family were allowed to call people by their given name, and all others were required to use their family name or be considered disrespectful.

Think how a great deal of people actively guard or hide their middle names. It seems almost instinct.
I'm new to spirit keeping so I was also curious about the "names having power" thing. I assumed as much because it's similar with servitors and faeries in lore, but do we know the specifics of what risks actually come with giving names? I know bound spirits are "protected" by both the cloaking and whatever binding agreement they agreed to, so I was wondering if those would perhaps cancel out any attempts to use names against them? (Either way, I'm sticking with just the first letter to be safe on the safe side...)

They/Them | Witch | Druid

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”