Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Alys
Zodiac:

I thought this piece (https://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/201 ... -not-zeus/) was a good reminder that Deities are distinct Persons Who cannot be swapped out with an equivalency chart. This kind of question comes up periodically on this forum. The article is written with a focus on the Celtic Deities, but I think it's information well worth keeping in our approach to any Deities. I've bolded and italicized a bit at the bottom that I think is particularly critical in examining and knowing ourselves. It's small, but I think the question is well worth asking.
On at least a weekly basis I see people asking which Celtic god is like Zeus or who is the Irish equivalent of Loki. No. Just stop it. Also, why? How would answering this make your life, or your relationship with a deity, better?

...It’s easy to play this game between Greek and Roman gods, because the Romans took on the Greek system almost wholesale, and simply renamed everyone. Zeus became Jupiter, Demeter was named Ceres, etc. but their stories and functions didn’t change very much. Maybe that’s why people want to do this. Because somewhere in a mythology book they saw it done with the Greek and Roman deities. Undoubtedly, the Celtic gods came from somewhere, but they weren’t borrowed and copied from another culture like a set of chess pieces.

Maybe it’s a legacy of the narcissistic Romans doing the same thing with the deities of other cultures. But here’s the thing: it doesn’t work! It didn’t work for the Romans – who busily pounded round pegs into square holes and called it “close enough”, and it doesn’t work now. Yes, there is some cross-pollination between Celtic and Roman, or Celtic and Norse, culture. Most of it happened after their systems of deities were already formed, though. Do they have common antecedents further back in time? Of course, and this means there are connections to Hindu religion, too. But that doesn’t mean that by the Iron Age there was still much commonality. There’s interesting material here for academic study, but I’m struggling to see a practical use as far as honouring the gods.

Look at it from their point of view. I don’t know about you, but I would get frustrated with someone who constantly tried to reach my cousin by dialing my phone number. I wouldn’t appreciate someone thinking that because the bus driver in the last town they lived in was called Linda, that they should call me Linda because I drive a bus. I don’t appreciate men expecting me to be like their last partner.

Deities are individuals. They are not primarily academic exercises, or potential characters for your fantasies. If you are trying to find your Pagan path or trying to build a relationship with a deity, then look at that deity. Read their myths if any survive. Consider their attributes as they are understood in their own culture. Don’t worry about comparative mythology....

Celtic myths are often weird and convoluted, resulting in deities with surprising collections of attributes. Their relationships to one another are shadowy, depending on which story, or version of a story, you read. And that’s okay....

Not that there aren’t complex characters and convoluted plotlines in the mythology of other cultures. Of course, there are. But surely that’s even more reason to stop playing the game of trying to make them all line up according to rank, or height, or days of the week!

[b]Sometimes, we ask questions that mask what we really want to know. I’m not sure what’s behind this kind of question, which is why I can only say – what purpose would it serve, if I could give you an answer? [/b]

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 35
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demons
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human. :)
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form

I have this problem researching Inanna. Searching for distinct information on Inanna inevitably pulls up Ishtar (which by itself makes some sense since Sumer and Babylon are closely related), Lilith, Astarte and Astaroth at the very least. I've also seen some sources try to connect her with Venus/Aphrodite because she was associated with the planet Venus due to its astronomical / seasonal travels (journey to the underworld, so to speak) in the Mesopotamian night sky.

It's frustrating because Inanna is very ancient and so many attempt to couple her with other deific forms when there's no evidence of all of their connection beyond similarities of spheres of influence and titles given to them.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Yep. I've tied her with Aphrodite and Venus on this board too. Anthropologically, they are connected. And that tells us something about ourselves and maybe (but not necessarily) about Her. But that definitely doesn't make them interchangeable.

I think there's a balance to be struck. Cross-cultural comparison and historical tracking can make wonderful complementary information and can be part of an entire picture. It can also be used to disprove this kind of interchangeability--which is a much clearer and easier use. But it should stop short of interchangeability and denying Someone their unique Identity and Agency.

Likes2Read
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

I can see connecting Greek and Roman deities, as those two sets of human worshipers interacted. But
it’s not like there’s one single set of deities up there that just goes by different names for every different culture throughout history, while being otherwise exactly the same. There’s not going to be a correspondence between deities in cultures that never, ever interacted. In places where it is known that two cultures cross-pollinated one another, they might have adopted one another’s beliefs to an extent, but otherwise, I wouldn’t expect any kind of correlation between deities to exist.

Visit The Lightworker's Sphere on Etsy for my handmade wands, metaphysical gemstone jewelry, and meditation binaural/isochronic audio files.
Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

This is slightly off topic, but it's something that grates on my nerves so...

I am amused by the philosophy of some of my monotheistic friends (I will not specify the religion) that all the other gods in the world's cultures are just "other faces" of the one god under their religion, even when their own religion does not recognize that view. They seem to adopt this view as a way to "accept" someone else's non-monotheistic belief and to "rationalize" it according to their religion. This is how they recognize themselves as being "open and inclusive" or "non-judgmental", but in fact they are strongly riding rough-shod over the other person's beliefs by trying to explain it away for their own benefit.

I also love how when I respond to their commentary about this by saying, "No, those are their own individual deities and they are clearly capable of individual interaction," they usually just respond "Oh I know, BUT..." and continue right on with their spiel about how it's just another face/aspect of the same god in their view and that this god just interacts by posing as all these other deities at the same time. So really, based on their perspective, anyone working with multiple deities is just interacting with the same grandiose egomaniacal deity that has a huge case of dissociative identity disorder (no disrespect intended to any suffering this). Insulting at best.

It's kind of similar in my mind to how Ancient Aliens likes to attribute every technological advance of the human race and unusual cultural phenomenon as an extraterrestrial influence rather than a legitimate result of humanity's amazing ability to innovate and create.

/rant 8^|

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

"I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning." - Benjamin Franklin
darkwing dook
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Zodiac:

This:
Sometimes, we ask questions that mask what we really want to know. I’m not sure what’s behind this kind of question, which is why I can only say – what purpose would it serve, if I could give you an answer?
should be at the top of the article, not this:
On at least a weekly basis I see people asking which Celtic god is like Zeus or who is the Irish equivalent of Loki. No. Just stop it. Also, why? How would answering this make your life, or your relationship with a deity, better?
Assuming that all the people asking about it come with negative intention or from ignorant is not a good look for practitioners.

Maybe it’s a legacy of the narcissistic Romans doing the same thing with the deities of other cultures.
Hellenization didn't start from the Romans. In the same vein, Celticisation also happened around the same time, and we can sill see its influence in France, Portugal, Spain, etc.

Alys-RaccoonReadings wrote:Yep. I've tied her with Aphrodite and Venus on this board too. Anthropologically, they are connected. And that tells us something about ourselves and maybe (but not necessarily) about Her. But that definitely doesn't make them interchangeable.

I think there's a balance to be struck. Cross-cultural comparison and historical tracking can make wonderful complementary information and can be part of an entire picture. It can also be used to disprove this kind of interchangeability--which is a much clearer and easier use. But it should stop short of interchangeability and denying Someone their unique Identity and Agency.
Agree with this.

Equivalent doesn't mean "exactly the same as" here; it depends on the context. Zeus may be equivalent with Dagda in the position as the chief of pantheon, but Zeus is more equivalent to Taranis in their relation with sky, lightning, and thunder. The same with Zeus and Jupiter, not exactly the same. Some practitioners may be more connected to Jupiter than to Zeus and vice versa.

This equivalency may also be beneficial when connecting with obscure and/or ancient beings that lack info, until the practitioner receives the info directly from the source.

It certainly is useful for comparative study to understand the cultural difference.

Regholdain wrote: I am amused by the philosophy of some of my monotheistic friends (I will not specify the religion) that all the other gods in the world's cultures are just "other faces" of the one god under their religion, even when their own religion does not recognize that view. They seem to adopt this view as a way to "accept" someone else's non-monotheistic belief and to "rationalize" it according to their religion. This is how they recognize themselves as being "open and inclusive" or "non-judgmental", but in fact they are strongly riding rough-shod over the other person's beliefs by trying to explain it away for their own benefit.
Some Hinduists and Taoists do believe that deities are emanations of the Source, Brahman or Tao. This includes deities from other religions or belief systems. If this concept is embraced by monotheists as their personal belief, what's the problem?

If it is their personal gnosis, they don't judge others or force it to others, and they are open to criticism and agree-to-disagree conclusion, why do you think they are "strongly riding rough-shod over the other person's beliefs by trying to explain it away for their own benefit"? Is it better for you if they stay with the dogma of rejecting and demonizing other belief systems?

Regholdain wrote: So really, based on their perspective, anyone working with multiple deities is just interacting with the same grandiose egomaniacal deity that has a huge case of dissociative identity disorder (no disrespect intended to any suffering this). Insulting at best.
Your remark is actually insulting the abovementioned Hinduists and Taoists.

"Often the truth is in front of your face, but your eyes and heart are so full of lies that you can't see it." Shannon L. Alder

"May you live in interesting times, may you be recognized by people in high places, may you find what you’re looking for."
Alys-RaccoonReadings
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

I agree. And, yes, the question is the very most important part by a wide margin. It’s really the reason I posted the thing.

Regholdain
venerated member
venerated member

darkwing dook wrote:
Regholdain wrote: I am amused by the philosophy of some of my monotheistic friends (I will not specify the religion) that all the other gods in the world's cultures are just "other faces" of the one god under their religion, even when their own religion does not recognize that view. They seem to adopt this view as a way to "accept" someone else's non-monotheistic belief and to "rationalize" it according to their religion. This is how they recognize themselves as being "open and inclusive" or "non-judgmental", but in fact they are strongly riding rough-shod over the other person's beliefs by trying to explain it away for their own benefit.
Some Hinduists and Taoists do believe that deities are emanations of the Source, Brahman or Tao. This includes deities from other religions or belief systems. If this concept is embraced by monotheists as their personal belief, what's the problem?

If it is their personal gnosis, they don't judge others or force it to others, and they are open to criticism and agree-to-disagree conclusion, why do you think they are "strongly riding rough-shod over the other person's beliefs by trying to explain it away for their own benefit"? Is it better for you if they stay with the dogma of rejecting and demonizing other belief systems?
I'm not talking about someone who is adopting another religious perspective to accommodate spiritual possibility or gnosis. I'm talking about someone purposely rationalizing every deity by saying "they are all the same" when they are not.

It's a very different thing to be Hindu or Taoist and have conversation about deities all being aspects of a Mysterious Universal Source and someone telling you all the gods in existence are actually the one true god of their belief in different forms. That's not being open-minded and accepting. That's rewriting someone else's belief and telling them they should still believe in just their god, their religion. I have a real problem with that because it's revisionist, not accepting.
darkwing dook wrote:
Regholdain wrote: So really, based on their perspective, anyone working with multiple deities is just interacting with the same grandiose egomaniacal deity that has a huge case of dissociative identity disorder (no disrespect intended to any suffering this). Insulting at best.
Your remark is actually insulting the abovementioned Hinduists and Taoists.
I disagree. I'm not talking directly about Taoists or Hindu. I'm talking about holier than thou people explaining away other's beliefs to fit their view that their god is the one true god and is the correct one because this philosophy gives them a way to justify it. Square peg meet round hole.

Let me explain what I mean this way. You tell me you believe in Bob. I tell you I believe Bob and all other deities are just aspects of George, so in fact you (who believe in Bob and the Bob Conglomerate) should know that you are actually working with and worshipping my god, whom I consider the One True God, in another form. Therefore, your belief in Bob and the Bob Conglomerate is not really legitimate because in my view you're just worshipping George and you may as well just believe the same as me.

That's not being accepting. That's telling you that your worship of Bob is a bastardized version of worship of what I believe to be the correct god, George. This isn't the same as adopting the view of a Mysterious Divine Source using multiple aspects, at all.

But at this point we're veering off topic anyways.

X..X Memento Mori X..X
*>* Memento Vivere *>*

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

I like the idea that everything is a manifestation of the Tao (or something similar).

(I found a nice Wikipedia quote on that: "Some scholars have argued, based in part on Egyptian writings, that the Egyptians came to recognize a single divine power that lay behind all things and was present in all the other deities." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egyptian_deities)

This for me means a mind-bogglingly vast multiverse, within which there are uncountable numbers of sentient beings. (I include deities in that category.)

I do agree: Roman Empire-type equivalence between deities was a useful tool to them as conquerors of peoples who worshipped different deities from them but even if had been sincere it's clearly an oversimplification. We humans do have a tendency to syncretise.

The idea of all of deities being psychological archetypes trended for most of the 20th century - even Golden Dawn iconic figureheads jumped on that psychological theory as validating the occult. But for me that psychological theory is unconvincing as it leaves the reality I've experienced 'spiritually' unexplained.

So I agree the Dagda is clearly not Zeus. Venus is not really Aphrodite. And yes, tracing her anthropological development back through Astarte, Ishtar and Inanna all the way to the proto-Indo European Hausos, goddess of the dawn, is something I've done too.

But I still haven't squared this whole circle.

I mean, Aphrodite isn't even the same as herself, if you see what I mean. She has been viewed in different ways. There's the Ourania aspect of Aphrodite (spiritual love) and the Pandemos aspect (physical love). (see the Wikipedia entry.) She was seen somewhat differently in Cyprus than she was in Athens and so on.

Humans view of deities in Egypt changed over the millennia. Which version was the 'real' one?

Luckily I find the Immortal bindings from CH easy to work with. Figuring out the human side of gods and goddesses and their development is far less straightforward.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]

Return to “Immortals”