Differences between a curse and a Taboo?

jesse1746
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 3
Spelled Number: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: Kitsune
If I could be anything, I would be...: Pegasus
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

Differences between a curse and a Taboo?

Postby jesse1746 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:59 pm

Simple question here, if you are the victim of some sort of dark spell causing negative effects on your life how do you determine if it is a curse or a Taboo (or even something else)?

Kitsune
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demon,dragon,vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: My true self

Re: Differences between a curse and a Taboo?

Postby Kitsune » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:17 pm

A curse is magick done to cause harm to a person, and a taboo is something that is forbidden to be discussed. I'm not quite sure what you're confused about.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

jesse1746
neophyte
neophyte

Postby jesse1746 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Kitsune wrote:A curse is magick done to cause harm to a person, and a taboo is something that is forbidden to be discussed. I'm not quite sure what you're confused about.

Different kind of taboo:https://shop.creepyhollows.com/taboo-removal-service.html

Lewk
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 145
Spelled Number: 142
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My magical/paranormal name...: Easthorse Indigo

Postby Lewk » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Non-expert talking here...happy to be corrected.

The description for the curse removal service reads differently from the taboo removal service. see https://shop.creepyhollows.com/curse-removal-service.html

For the distinction between different CH services, I think only CH staff can provide the definitive answer. But going on the ordinary meanings and usage of the words, a curse could involve simply bringing harm to someone, whereas a taboo/ tabu as described in the CH service info, seems to be about a 'limitation' placed on someone that causes negative effects in their life.

Maybe you could view a taboo as being a subset of cursing, but it might I guess be put into place by the caster as a magical way of influencing someone's behaviour. ie anyone who tries to do x shall suffer the effects of the taboo. Or even so and who *has* done x, shall now suffer these limitations. Or so and so shall not be able to do x and will suffer limitations to achieve this.

But, I'm not expert in this area.

To me that idea of taboo is vaguely reminscent of the Celtic geis / geas / geisa - a magical obligation that a deity or witch would put on someone. If the person broke it, they incurred consequences.

EDIT: actually, having just re-read the Wikipedia entry for geas, it *is* a form of taboo and I do seem to have got my definitions right.

Don’t be scared. This island is full of noises, strange sounds and sweet melodies that make you feel good and don’t hurt anyone. Sometimes I hear a thousand twanging instruments hum at my ears, and sometimes voices that send me back to sleep even if I had just woken up—and then I dreamed of clouds opening up and dropping such riches on me that when I woke up, I cried because I wanted to dream again. Caliban, The Tempest, Shakespeare
\/

jesse1746
neophyte
neophyte

Postby jesse1746 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:57 pm

So, if my assumption is correct here a curse is general negative effect cast upon the person: bad luck, illness etc without any specific trigger happening on the victim whereas a Taboo is of more specific nature.

A curse would be something like blocking out someone's third eye but a Taboo would be that person's third eye is blocked when they try to talk to dragons.

That is a curse will always be in effect where as in the case of a Taboo its effect will only activate if the taboo is triggered.

In above example of the dragon third eye taboo if the person was to use their third eye for any other purpose but communicating with a dragon then I assume nothing would happen.

Is that correct or no?

ARandomDemon
new here
new here
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 5
Spelled Number: 1
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Hal

Postby ARandomDemon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:53 pm

I once read something on the internet that curses and hexes were two different things and now I have taboos to figure out.

Lewk
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 145
Spelled Number: 142
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My magical/paranormal name...: Easthorse Indigo

Postby Lewk » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:47 am

Again, as a non-expert but maybe my perspective has some value...

I'm guessing there are clear definitions of the difference between a hex, a curse, a taboo etc. But it's possible that the people who may have set one of these in motion may not always share the same definitions as those who they are cast on. We're probably really talking about malefic magic that someone has cast that could effect someone. Sometimes what has been done is more important than what we call it. Maybe sometimes what has been done is a specific method that is genuinely called a Curse or Hex or Taboo.

Of course there are all sorts of methods that might have been followed, cultural settings that might be involved and all sorts of variations on the details of the desired outcomes.

Not sure if this widens out the discussion but...the first book on magical practice I got was Anna Riva's classic on Candle Burning Magic - in 1983. In that book, as I recall, her description of any ritual to get rid of unwanted situations or problems was that it was black magic and black candles were to be used. (And these were not rituals to harm others.) Any ritual to attract positive forces and situations was white. Even then, many people would have meant something completely different when they talked about black magic.

This is just one example of how people can mean such different things when they use the same words. To me it's always most important to understand what someone means, then the words they use make sense. Of course sometimes it *is* the other way round - people do need to use the right definition.

Don’t be scared. This island is full of noises, strange sounds and sweet melodies that make you feel good and don’t hurt anyone. Sometimes I hear a thousand twanging instruments hum at my ears, and sometimes voices that send me back to sleep even if I had just woken up—and then I dreamed of clouds opening up and dropping such riches on me that when I woke up, I cried because I wanted to dream again. Caliban, The Tempest, Shakespeare
\/

Return to “Black Magic”