What happened to Arthur's body if or when he was transported to Avalon?

Which legends thrill you? Make you wonder? Shaped your beliefs? We'd love to know!
HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Your favorite spirit to work with: Immortal(gods)
If I could be anything, I would be...: an Immortal/similar
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Wisdom Seaker wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:25 pm
Wizard wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:49 pmThere’s also theories about Ossetia and Chechnya being ‘Camelot’ once before they became Abrahamic I guess.

A country that existed within both of these places?

🤔

Perhaps. Though one would have to look at how the story found itself in England in the 5th century. The century when the supposed tales began. The Dark Ages if I am not mistaken.

The way I see it that if a King of a city in Eastern Europe/Middle East, lived an amazing life and did great things and even called a city Camelot. Why would a nation 4000 miles away claim him as thiers with the city, nobility and a divine duty to return from Avalon to protect England in her greatest hour of need. In a century and millennium that was mostly governed buy wealthy self proclaimed Kings and chiefs is lands the Roman Empire were absent?

History fascinates me.
Its known some of the cultural influences or people of that place migrated across Europe.

Wisdom Seaker
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0

True. Migration would be a factor.

Perhaps, he didn't exist at all. 😔

Kind regards
Wisdom Seaker

... Where the ocean meets the sky, I'll be sailing...

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Wisdom Seaker wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:58 am True. Migration would be a factor.

Perhaps, he didn't exist at all. 😔
Doesn’t mean so, may have just gone by a different or similar but different name.

HighSkies
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

And there was this place in Chechyna that has possible ties with that once-existing country which has a very tough code of ‘chivalry’ seen as almost impossible for outsiders to succeed at.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Personally I think it is just possible that the battle of Badon Hill that is first mentioned within maybe 50 years or so by Gildas (written in the mid-500s AD) did take place between the British and Anglo-Saxons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... l_accounts

But there is no mention of Arthur then. Arthur is first mentioned two centuries or so later (in 829) and for the first time is then said, retrospectively, to have been present at that battle.

"Arthur is also not mentioned in Bede's Historia ecclesiastica gentis Anglorum (Ecclesiastical History of the English People), which dates to c. 731, or any other surviving work until around 829, the date ascribed to the Historia Brittonum, nominally by the Welsh ecclesiastic Nennius.

The earliest version of the Annales Cambriae (Welsh Annals) was composed in the mid-10th century. It gives the date of Badon as 516 and lists Arthur's death as occurring in 537 at the Battle of Camlann. Like the Annals, all other sources that name Arthur were written at least 400 years after the events which they describe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historici ... ing_Arthur

For a good overview of the development of Arthurian legend see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur

Before Arthur is said to have existed and before the Roman conquest, earlier traditions had long been in existence among the myths or folklore of the peoples living in Britain. The people we call Celts and those who preceded them. The legend of Arthur must have drawn on those and have been dovetailed into them, in my opinion, 400 years after the events they refer to.

The Sarmatian knights (from the Mesopotamian region) are historical, were brought to Britain as auxiliary heavy cavalry by the Romans and may well have settled here. Their descendants could have provided some continuity of heavy cavalry expertise after the Romans left but this is pure speculation.

In my opinion because there are 'celtic' archetypal themes in the Arthurian myth and the Celts had a wide distribution across Europe at times, it is very likely that similar themes or stories can be found elsewhere. But Arthur is undoubtedly a British figure, linked to events that occurred in Britain.

I really like the myth and it has strong spiritual resonance for me. But I see it as having only a tenuous historicity at best.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Huffdamagicdragon
venerated member
venerated member
Number of Spirits: 1801
Spelled Number: 568
Your favorite spirit to work with: Lampades
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: DämonZerstörer

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the ... dino-italy
IF TRUE....
they used ground penetrating radar to find the sword is intact inside natural stone....

wayyy too many in my keep to count let alone list
mostly djinn and dragons though
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Huffdamagicdragon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:46 am https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the ... dino-italy
IF TRUE....
they used ground penetrating radar to find the sword is intact inside natural stone....
Fascinating. It certainly captures the imagination.

So I looked up the wikipedia entry and checked the references.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galgano_G ... _the_stone

Apparently there really is a hilt and part of a 12th century sword protruding from the stone and ground penetrating radar also found a large cavity in the stone below it, which may possibly be a burial recess.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/ ... heobserver

The wikipedia article also links to a Polish archaeological article.

This says there is a cemented fissure with a lead seal, within which the sword is located. It seems that there is a fissure within that stone that the sword fits neatly into. The articles are a little coy about whether the stone was worked on by masons - but given the sword is apparently sealed inside the fissure within concrete and there is a burial size cavity below, supernatural causes seem less probable.

"It was decided to reach the part which was hidden in the rock by means of drilling a small hole of 11 mm in diameter, running in parallel to the cemented fissure, in which the blade was fixed with the lead seal. Dr Vernillo from the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Siena (Facoltà di Medicina dell′Università di Siena) entered a fibre-optic endoscope into the hole. The part of the blade which was fixed in the rock was still invisible – however, it was possible to take samples of cement from the bottom of the hole. Then, another hole was drilled, at an angle towards the fissure. The fissure was reached after a few centimetres, when the image of the steel blade could be seen in the endoscope. It was found out that both edges of the point of breaking in the forte of the sword, which originated in the course of the mentioned theft, matched each other. It was therefore assumed that both parts of the sword (the upper one with the crosspiece and the pommel, projecting above the rock, and the invisible lower one) were authentic and belonged to one and the same artefact."

https://rcin.org.pl/dlibra/publication/ ... 14/content pg 8

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]

Return to “Folklore & Legends”