new here
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human

So this is random, but I heard from a few sources that alcohol can inhibit your ability to connect with spirits. People in my line of work tend to drink every night (myself included) but I was wondering if this is having an adverse effect on my spiritual development. I searched for this topic, but most of the posts mention past drug use or prescriptions, both of which do not apply to me (not trying to sound judgmental). Also, I'd like to make clear I do not advocate excessive alcohol consumption and that I'm usually only having one drink a night. Sorry if this is a random topic.

I'm going to save myself time: READ "THREE BOOKS OF OCCULT PHILOSOPHY"

I make the best french toast.
Instrument of the end fire083
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 28
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything willing
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elven
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Melindrose
Zodiac:

It depends, personally I find a little alcohol helps me drop some of the protection I keep up that prevents anything going on or out.

All my freestyle dancing is essentially magic
To be the left hand of a god.
PapiLobo
new here
new here
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Double-edged blade, imo.

Think of that Chinese proverb quoted in the legend of the drunken master... a boat that can float in water, can also sink in it...

And then the old saying... for an alcoholic, one drink is too much, and a gallon is not enough...

I've seen it mentioned before that it helps some and hinders others. For myself personally, it's all about quantity.

Disclaimer: all things in moderation, and if you think you have a problem please seek professional help.

Addendum: the disclaimer is meant to be a catchall for all readers and is not directed at OP solely. This post does not condone underage drinking nor any illegal activity. Please refer to local laws before using any controlled substance, and use only as directed by your physician.

Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

I think I've posted about this before but my thoughts on things like this evolve with experience anyway, so worthwhile to post again.
I do drink alcohol and my perspective is that it is a divine poison which has a living spirit (some drinks in the way they are produced more than others, there is always crap with artificial additives that take away from the essence of what is otherwise conceived from grain, herb, vine...etc.)
The libation has a long history of being sacred to ancient mystery cults, there is an important ritualistic significance to it if you're interested in classical tradition and mythos, which has also descended through folk magic practices adhered to this day. The consideration remains of its duality between tapping one into ecstatic divinity or sending one into madness.

With that said, I don't think a drink or two to loosen up inhibitions and add an extra dimension of pleasure to your day is an issue whatsoever; and with the knowledge of its 'magic' those interested could even make something more of it when respecting how its been used in history, what it is capable of with the right mindset.
Commonly pure spirits, beer, wine can all be considered as akin to 'blood' of the earth. I'm also someone who works with teas, salves, oils and elixirs of various plants and all of these have unique properties which will impact the state of an individual.
The consistent message is that when indulged with care or conscious application, you are tapping into a powerful wellspring that the earth has offered us.
When it comes to alcohol, that has been established in tradition as crossing over into the popularity of today, and is certainly easier to be abused (not that these other things I'm referring to aren't also abused by some, but we hear more about alcoholism obviously).

You may not care about any of that, so take this as a long-winded way of saying: If you're abusing alcohol it does have the potential to diminish (or just create a cluster-eff out of) your spiritual sensitivity; but there's no way that, like, a beer a night is going to do that.

I know many accomplished occultists who indulge from time to time, some to excess when they do. It is a problem to some people based on their particular ideology, experiences or even biological make-up. If you feel like it's creating an issue for you, then you know when to invest in letting it go. If you're just concerned about it because you don't have any insight yet into this, I wouldn't worry too much.
You have to ultimately feel out for yourself how your spiritual being interacts with what you put into your body. You could experiment easily by taking a week or more off from having any drinks. Record your findings.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
someone
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 0
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Don't know
If I could be anything, I would be...: Human

Thank you all for the input and I actually appreciate the warnings on over-consumption since I've seen it affect plenty of friends/family members. Glad to see this is such a compassionate community. I'd also recommend if any one feels they have a problem they seek help, it was a tough but worthwhile decision for me.

I'm going to save myself time: READ "THREE BOOKS OF OCCULT PHILOSOPHY"

I make the best french toast.
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

I think Vipera's points are on point, as usual.

There is an additional perspective, which doesn't invalidate what has been said above.

tl:dr Maybe our alcohol consumption should be matched to the type of spiritual practice that we do?

Some forms of meditation or spiritual work require an alert, un-dulled conscious awareness. So for example, while I would do some forms of meditation even if I felt pretty sleepy and tired and hope for a good experience, there are others that I wouldn't do unless I was fully aware and able to maintain that full conscious awareness throughout.

Just to avoid sounding mysterious or obtuse, an example might be: one form of taoist meditation I do is about going deep inside and it's fine if I fall asleep. And a Ki relaxation exercise I've done is like that too. I might actually relax more deeply if I do nod off during it. But there's a Shaolin Zen meditation I do that requires quality of meditation focus - not just putting in the time. Come to think if it, if you were doing the focusing-on-a-dot-on-a-piece-of-paper-to-sharpen-your-concentration exercise, or one to control your thoughts...for anything like that, I believe you need un-dulled, alert awareness.

So, just as with sleep, the same goes for the effects of alcohol. There's a reason why consumption of alcohol is not advised before driving - motor skills are reduced and as we know our state of consciousness is affected too.

So for me - for most formal spiritual practice I do - I aim to avoid drinking beforehand and prefer to not do it if alcohol is still affecting me.

Balanced against that, as has been said above, alcohol can open your energy up too. Yang tai chi grandmaster Cheng Man Ching used to drink a shot of whisky before doing calligraphy, as he said it opened up his chi.

(I'm not arguing against moderate, safe, healthy alcohol consumption, as I do drink that way and like how it relaxes me, puts me in the moment and so on. Opens me up. I'm also wary about becoming too open and unprotected under the influence as well.)

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Instrument of the end fire083
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 23
Spelled Number: 28
Your favorite spirit to work with: Anything willing
If I could be anything, I would be...: High Elven
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Melindrose
Zodiac:

Well that's why i said a little. I personally don't have an alcohol addiction, I don't drink often, and when I do I only have 1 or 2.

All my freestyle dancing is essentially magic
To be the left hand of a god.
Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

These are excellent points Lewk. There are absolutely some practices I would never drink in tandem with or beforehand. Some are straining, like exorcising malevolent spirits....I might have a drink once I'm done (lol).

And substances can definitely open you up a little 'too much' in certain cases. I guess best to be self-aware in all we are doing, why we are doing it, and what we're experiencing as it is done.

Just noticed PapiLobo's addition to this as well and it falls in line with what I was considering about the duality of alcohol. I think it's great to totally understand what it is we are taking in and how it relates to what we ourselves are comprised of as spiritual beings living in human bodies.

Over the past few years I've begun a formal study of what is grown of the earth, the properties we can clearly observe of this matter and what result I get when I include it in my diet.
Of course when we take these things and change their form, as with alcohol, we're conducting alchemy and there are additional clues in that transition that will tell us what to expect from partaking of the result. I don't want to ramble though!

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
shieon
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

I drink privately on occasion and bottom line for myself is although I have a high alc tolerance I don't bother to bond if I'm drunk or feeling I'm heading there. But I've bonded on many occasions while drinking haha. "Sharing a drink" with them. I don't think it interferes with my spiritual development but when the drinking becomes a problem for anyone then I would pay attention to that.

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

PapiLobo
new here
new here

So many great points made here by all.

And yes, Vipera, I like being oft-overlooked. It helps.

Lewks points are to be heeded.

And godslayerbabe brought hammer to nail with "sharing a drink"

That's something I do often as I am a regular drinker. It's a bit rough trying to drink the room temperature booze afterwards, but I offer that suffering as an offering as well. I share it with them because it is something that I enjoy, just as anything else i enjoy. Un buen mate, cup of coffee, a song. Imo, sharing what we enjoy brings us closer... in both human and spirit companion relationships.

But it sounds like you got it figured out OP.

Return to “Beginner/Newbie Area”