Hippogryph-Approved Candied Strawberry Slices

Share your favorite recipes that are to die for!
UreiDansa
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 9
Your favorite spirit to work with: Fae&Creature spirits
If I could be anything, I would be...: No clue...
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Urei Dansa, or at least that's my 'public' paranormal/witchy name.
Zodiac:

Aka, I'm...pretty sure this isn't a meal no matter who you ask. Does this even fit here?
Ignoring the fact that this is more of a sweet treat when you're feeling lazy but want to look like an expert confectioner(No, I will NOT be calling myself out by name), it's apparently a decent offering for more strawberry-and-sweet inclined spirits/entities/other lovely folks! Now, unto the recipe that made my Hippogryph chirp!

It's honestly pretty much the standard.
1/2 cup water, or 8oz/150ml for your imperial/metric sorts out there.
1/2 cup sugar (or 8oz/150ml, again)
Uh...Strawberries. I used maybe 5, but the recipe I used calls for 1 pint(or, a bit under 1 UK pint) so YMMV.

Mix those sugar and water puppies together in a small pot or a sauce pan and get 'em warm so the sugar will dissolve, I didn't boil it as much as simmer it and that worked out well, however if you're less anxious about burning liquid sugar then the recipe I used recommended a *boil*.
Kick out some strawbleberries, the recipe I used said a pint(which is about one pint UK wise, apparently) but I filled up two plates with ~5 decently large berries, so YMMV. Anyway, hull/de-leaf and slice the suckers thinly, until you've got some little berry-ends and mini-tongues waiting to become candy while you shuffle your syrup over to cool down a bit.
Get yourself a baking sheet and some parchment paper and let your candy-coating cool to room-temp or so- Now, if anyone asks, I said to grab some tongs, dunk the slices in the sugar-syrup, etc...
But in reality? Grab a few slices, toss 'em in the warm, sugary pits from whence the candy came, and give your syrup-pot(or pan) a gentle little jiggle until the slices are covered in sugary stuff. I did it, it works, just use the tongs or a spoon to fish them out and plonk them on your covered baking sheet. Candying your nails isn't fun, I learned that the delicious way.
Once you've got your layer of candy-syrup coated strawberries, just sorta put the rest of your syrup to the side. Trust me, this isn't on the recipe I followed, but I got squirrely under Songbird's guidance and it went well.
Anyway, warm your oven up to 200F/~93C, and once it's toasty pop those candybabies in on the top rack. Give 'em an hour or so between each time you check up on them, and at the 3rd hour they should look nice and dark but still be 'gummy'/sticky, almost like a kiddo's multivitamin. Boost the temperature to 225F/107C, then drizzle the rest of your strawberry-sugarmix on top of the berry slices, both so you cover any parts that might've lost their coating and to spare yourself from dehydrated berries. In my case, it took about 4 1/2 hours because I kept popping open the oven to smell the good smells <3

Now that they're cooked, pop those puppies on a plate (tongs/some kinda grabbers are necessary here, yep) or three and let them cool off, covered to keep 'em clean especially if there are any fuzzy friends or flowing sleeves, for...well this depends on your area. If you pop them in a good freezer, which I didn't, it might cut it down to 15 minutes or so. I just know I waited until they had a consistency between fruit roll-ups and fruit leather, which took a good few hours in Texas.

Either way, once they're nice and gummy with that lightly-sugary candy 'shell' with a pretty caramel-like texture, you've made the sorta berries that make my Hippoygrph so her little happy shuffle-dance! If only I thought to take a picture before offering 'em up and making sure the remains got devoured :.? . Oh well, that's just an excuse to make more!
As far as I know, this sort've method works on all sorts of things, from other fruits (my grandmother recommended pear and apple) to candied meats and even candied flower petals, sooo if anyone tries to candy other things, I'd love to know how it goes!!

Alright I'ma end my rant now-

A keeper of/being kept by;
'Songbird', a wonderful momma-Hippogryph.
'Big O', like the anime, or Big Red - Red Dragon finincal advisor.
'Thea', a wise Bannik.
'Fire' & 'Ice'! A plucky pair of Petschke Dragons.
'Abby', who helps me manage the whole squad!
'Keri', a delightfully vicious naga guardian.
A cheeky money-drawing Leprechaun who refuses to give me a nickname for 'im!
'Azalea', a darling garden faery! Who uh...really likes venus flytraps??

Return to “Dinner to Die For”