Fylgia and spirit animals

Discussion of creatures starting with letters A-J.
cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 3

What's the difference between a fylgia and a spirit animal? Aside from a fylgia being a shapeshifter that can be many different animals. (Here I want to use "spirit animal" to mean a representative of a species that acts as guide, teacher, and/or guardian for a human person.)

Also before CH I'd heard of fylgias as beings that people might have from birth. It's kind of weird to think of buying one. Or is it like the spirit animal again? Does CH bind fylgias that are already attached to a person?

Would/do a fylgia and spirit animal work together? Is a fylgia more personal?

ASTER
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: 👼🏻🐲🧚🧝🏻‍♀️🧙‍♂️🧛🧞‍♂️
If I could be anything, I would be...: Celestial
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Aster 🌟 Jupiter

Funny how something similar comes up in forum thread 😊 that you are trying to understand yourself.This is exactly I was thinking and tried to figure out without much evidence to draw on. I eventually settled with my intuitive thought on the subject without much real background.

This is what I think until proved otherwise. Fylgia from CH cannot be spirit totem /animal spirit in that sense as we see it in terms on CH website. Because it's essence completely different.

Spirit /totem animal are not usually attacked to you as a Fylgia is. They are also connected with immortal elements/energy and usually there for a particular purpose, time. That can be long or short time. Even if it's bond, they can be rather silent and none present. Only comes around when you'll need that type of energy for that particular time or purpose.

Fylgia always with you. Always sustain you. Always uplifting, loving nurturing, protecting ect. Comes to you regularly in whatever form and ways you'll need help, and will interact with you. This is what I settled on intuitively at the moment.

I am interested to know myself more similarities and differences.

Oh, I think you can born with a Fylgia that was passed on from relatives and shows up at birth. But you can also be paired up with your own, or if you ask CH to conjure one, they most probably track down your very own Fylgia that was always with you without even knowing it.
This is just from my intuitive thought until proven otherwise.

cairngorn wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:40 pm What's the difference between a fylgia and a spirit animal? Aside from a fylgia being a shapeshifter that can be many different animals. (Here I want to use "spirit animal" to mean a representative of a species that acts as guide, teacher, and/or guardian for a human person.)

Also before CH I'd heard of fylgias as beings that people might have from birth. It's kind of weird to think of buying one. Or is it like the spirit animal again? Does CH bind fylgias that are already attached to a person?

400✨Aster💫Jupiter

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

cairngorn wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:40 pm What's the difference between a fylgia and a spirit animal? Aside from a fylgia being a shapeshifter that can be many different animals. (Here I want to use "spirit animal" to mean a representative of a species that acts as guide, teacher, and/or guardian for a human person.)

This quote from Mystic Morning Treasures hits the nail on the head, as they say.

"These are really fascinating beings. They are like a combination of spirit guide, totem animal, and guardian.

"The fylgia usually attach their selves to a specific person or family line and they become guardians and guides to this person. They can act as protectors, omens, and familiars."

https://stores.mysticmorningtreasures.c ... th-fylgia/

For me they may be 'like' " a combination of spirit guide, totem animal, and guardian" but that's all. They're not literally any of those things. They're themselves.

Except possibly they were the equivalent of hereditary totem animals for the Norse culture we know them from.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fylgja

I think the description there is very reminiscent of the daemons in Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials books.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
cairngorn
active contributor
active contributor
Number of Spirits: 3

Norse culture is where I'd heard of them, as hereditary totems. I wonder if we only know about them from that tradition, why the difference? (I know I said I wasn't familiar with Norse traditions on another thread and that's largely true but I know some concepts.)
Spirit /totem animal are not usually attacked to you as a Fylgia is. They are also connected with immortal elements/energy and usually there for a particular purpose, time. That can be long or short time. Even if it's bond, they can be rather silent and none present. Only comes around when you'll need that type of energy for that particular time or purpose.

Fylgia always with you. Always sustain you. Always uplifting, loving nurturing, protecting ect. Comes to you regularly in whatever form and ways you'll need help, and will interact with you. This is what I settled on intuitively at the moment.
I do feel like the spirit animal binding I have is similar to an immortal. This is a good explanation, thanks.

Thyr
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 34
Spelled Number: 0
Your favorite spirit to work with: Demonic
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
Zodiac:

Like I already mentioned in other threads, I am born with one and so are my two sons. In my family they are "passed down" by the mother, meaning they come from my mother's side. It doesn't mean I got hers and my sons will get mine, as we all are alive and blessed with Fylgia. It's just that they attach to us from birth and will stay with us until we die. With what I learned so far, there won't be further ones in our family, because I have only sons.
If you consider this, there could be plenty of Fylgia without someone to look after, if family lines are only blessed with sons. These would be the ones conjurers are binding.

¤ ωε nεvεr ωαlk αlonε ¤

Return to “Creatures A-J”