Am I Right in Thinking I've Been Scammed?

sweetchiliyeet
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 0
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

Hi all! I'm making this post to put feelers out. I've been pondering this for a while, and I'd like to see if any others feel as weird about this as I do. I'm not going to post the sellers name right off the bat, because I don't want to cause a small seller trouble if I'm wrong. I searched through the forum here and couldn't find a single mention of this seller, good or bad.

(All pink text is somewhat unimportant, but I'm going to leave it in if anyone's curious to my background and what led up to me deciding to make this purchase)

At the time of this happening, I considered myself a baby witch, despite being involved in witchcraft for several years. It is an understatement to say that I am not gifted in witchcraft/spellwork. In fact I'm the kind of person where every spell I cast goes wrong. No matter what kind of spell I attempt, what ingredients and materials I use, what emotions I'm feeling, no matter how precise I am with my phrasing or intention. For me, spellwork always seems to turn out like a poorly phrased genie wish. It's led to some not quite catastrophic accidents, especially when I've attempted banishments. I was starting to get really frustrated and I was considering giving up entirely even though I still felt a calling to the magical side of life.

However, I have always been gifted in perceiving otherworldly beings, deities and spirits. I have always felt a pull to things most would consider morbid, I have always been endeared to the concept of ghosts and spirits. As a child, my only friends were "ghosts" as my mom called them, and as a teenager as my gifts got watered down, I still frequently saw faint apparitions and received visions from my deceased brother. I have also been very prone to being targeted by darker spirits, and haven't had a pleasant dream since I was a child. So of course, when I stumbled upon a youtube video made by a person I respected and admired, and found out that I could not only safely work with spirits, but have them bound as longterm companions who could even protect me from other ill-intentioned beings, it opened up a whole new world for me. I was ecstatic, and I very quickly and naively jumped into trying to find my first companion.

In January 2021, I bought my first binding off of tumblr. It was a prebound, that the seller claimed to have been their own companion for over 2 years. The blog was very very small, but the description of the spirit felt almost too good to be true, as the spirit was skilled and successful in the career I was very strongly considering at the time. The first thing that felt weird to me is that on the listing it said "distance binding only, if you want him to have a vessel, please provide a picture". I'm not exactly sure how binding a spirit to a vessel with only a picture would work, considering even creepy hollows doesn't do this, but then again I have never bound a spirit myself.

I chatted with the seller, and it moved very quickly. I payed the invoice of $50 USD and she sent me a document with a whole bunch of information about the spirit. Once I read through the document, two things made me feels weird. First, the spirit was described as looking like a Harry Potter goblin. Second, the document was detailed describing goblin society and culture in a way that I had never seen before and have not seen since, it felt a little bit made up.

Despite feeling weird, I wanted to give things a chance, I had already payed anyways so there was no point in jumping to conclusions. Many times I called on the spirit, and never did I feel a presence or receive visions. In fact, I've never received communication from the spirit at all. I have tried tarot, pendulums, spirit boards, channelling, and my good ol' trusty visions. All of these have worked with the other 3 spirits have have now, but never have they worked with this one. I've even tried just talking to him out loud and seeing if he shows up, but it always feels like I am talking to empty air.

When I ordered my first creepy hollows bindings, my bronwyn angels name came to me before I even knew of the conjure being completed. Most recently, I've been getting a lot better at receiving my spirit companions communication. I am now able to more easily enter a trance and silence my mind and focus when receiving visions. Just a few days ago, my courtwind angel was giving me a bunch of small electric shocks (which tbh I was ignoring because I was in public with my partner) and then he gave me one really big shock that came directly from his vessel, when I payed attention I realized it was a warning, as confirmed by my partner who described feeling "an eerie dead air" and a dark presence around us. Even my merman who I don't interact with a lot, has showed up every once in a while, let me know he's here through touch and visions, and then shortly after adventured off, usually he'll show up at bed time and stay with me until I fall asleep.

After all these experiences, I know it's not a problem with my ability to perceive them or receive communication. Yet, this goblin spirit has still never shown up. I felt very endeared to the idea of him at first, and I was very excited to bond and work together, I put in so much effort with no result. At this point, I have just come to accept that either he is completely non-social (which is contradictory to the description I was given by the seller), or I have been scammed. To add more reason to believe I've been scammed, my courtwind angel has never sugar coated an answer, even pertaining to other spirits I have attempted working with, and when asked if the spirit in question is real, the answer he gave me basically seemed like a "technically yes, but also no", which I now interpret as meaning either the seller lied about how willing the spirit was to be bound to me and he's non-social because he may not have wanted this, or the spirit exists but the seller mislead me and sold me an empty binding meaning that he is not really my spirit companion.

The biggest red flag of all in my opinions, came today when I was doing research. Somehow they are doing readings for completely anonymous people, not really sure how that works, especially since they needed my full name and date of birth to read my energy and tell me if the spirit and I are compatible. I scrolled through their blog, and all of their most recent posts were about the vampire Lestat (an Ann Rice character) and in their most recent reading they recommended vampires as a companion to someone. As well, they recommended a Wendigo to someone as a companion, and personally as an indigenous person who has dealt with them, I feel that is irresponsible to recommend to an anonymous person who seems like a newbie, but that's just a personal nit pick. Also, despite the fact that they are somehow doing readings for anonymous asks, they don't seem to know if they have already read someone? As well, in a reading a while back, they implied that the reason the asker couldn't feel spirits was due to fake sellers and con artists or people selling listings to purposefully clog and block energy. When sellers say stuff like that about other sellers always feels like a red flag to me. Things are seeming kinda sketchy to me, it feels like this person is roleplaying in some kind of fantasy land and is either intentionally scamming or not as skilled as they think.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or those of you who allow your companions to reply, do they have any feelings/thoughts? It's impossible to get my money back, but some confirmation or closure would be nice, and if it's unanimously felt that the seller scammed me in some way, it would only be right for me to warn others.

Satella
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 343
Spelled Number: 409
Your favorite spirit to work with: faery
If I could be anything, I would be...: Mommy
My magical/paranormal name...: Bella Dawn

Honestly I’m not gonna go into much about if the spirit is real or not but I will clear up a few things which you were unsure about or questioning. My opinion is that spirit communications, confirmations and other things should be handled by the keeper and their friends. I find it a bit off putting when others ask for verification for another beings existence or if it was truely bound to them. Honestly there is a lot of complicated work that goes into bindings which may limit a outside person’s view or ability to gage that spirit or being in question. Now I have done this before but only for my Partner who is pretty much my student and her two human friends who are in our group. All their beings contacted me at first and we used my abilities to practice their telepathy. This is an extreme case as they have given permission to me and some of the beings lived with me for months as they were preconjures or rescues.

Now in terms of your questions, a practitioner can bind a being or spirit with just a picture of a object or person. You do not need a date of birth or name, you simply need a tether or some sort link which connects you to the person you are completing the binding for. When I do readings I simply need a memory or a simple phrase of something they thought about and the tether is formed. Simply the fact that the person thought of this memory, wrote it down and declared their intent is enough for a binding. My suspicion for why an age and date of birth is that it creates a simple and strong connection while verifying they are over 18, at least that’s why request it when I can makes it simple and easy.

From your mention of a wendigo, on Billy’s shop that is classified as a BA being which is definitely something a newbie should never have that is probably your strongest point of evidence that the practitioner in question does not care too much about their clients, Now I didn’t really want any to mention this but it’s possible for beings to be created and I’m not talking about thoughtforms, this pretty much required immortal intervention I have had unique vampiric nymphs created by a immortal as a gift for me and it’s completely possible but at the same time if they never mentioned an immortal they probable are just making stuff up unless there is actual historical figure or being that looks similar and they like that name as a nickname.

If you want an example of me doing the readings like I mentioned just look up my Halloween readings thread I’ll be updating it today or tomorrow anyway as I’m completing more readings. To close I think it’s best to ask your spirits and beings more about the friend in question since the practioner is not responding.

Hihi, currently here is my friendsies info
Spirit Friends 67
Being Friends 155
Preconjure Peeps 400 +
Coven Friendsies 33
Rescues 47

Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

- Don't buy things off of Tumblr.

- Yes distance binding to a vessel is possible, but not everyone offers it.

- Different people have different insights into creatures and so you will get descriptions of beings like goblins that you've not seen others talk about, that much can be normal. Most every entity advertised could be made up because a lot of practitioners are taking from knowledge given to them directly and not within public record.

- You don't need a name and date of birth to conduct a reading for people. Some do. It's the same as the distance binding situation. If you're a good reader you don't need to have that kind of info, you can connect to energy or from another detail, it doesn't really matter. Some readers have very specific methodology to what they do and that can involve needing very specific details.
It is possible they needed your info in the case of binding but don't necessarily need it for readings, or that they only needed the info in your case; the point is that it's not always a consistent necessity so this part you've mentioned doesn't strike me as significant.

- Vampire Lestat obsession is more of a red flag than the above (lol but true.)

- I agree recommending the Wendigo to a newbie is strange, but it depends on their view of the being and context of recommendation.

- Talking about other sellers so vastly in the way they did is red flag behavior, yes. To touch on what they have said, it would not be common for people to sell listings purposefully to clog and block energy, maybe a few creeps could have done this if they're on some power-trip, but not successfully, and most of the time if a seller is being deceptive it's focused in monetary gain.

While I presented a counter to some of your thoughts, it's more for educational purposes. Ultimately I think you're right that this person sounds like they don't know what they are doing. The issue is even if the person seems ridiculous there's no way to prove that they outright scammed you. What you can do is review them honestly - that you didn't have a great experience, and that it's abnormal for you based on you consistently being able to connect to other spirits.

Abide your intuition. Plenty of people in this community think they know what they're doing but don't. They think they have these skills but if they were to actually possess those skills they wouldn't be behaving as they do. The metaphysical is very attractive to troubled, delusional and fantasy-consumed persons.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
sweetchiliyeet
new here
new here
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 4
Spelled Number: 0
Zodiac:

Thank y'all for educating me! I don't do reading for others, and have only gotten a reading from another person once (CH to see what companions might suit me), so I don't know a lot about it. New knowledge is always good, so I appreciate your responses!

The vampire Lestat thing felt to me like they let a current obsession of theirs influence their reading of someone else, which I don't think I expressed well but felt I should clarify lol.

Ultimately my intuition and my other companions imply that, at the very least, the spirit in question is not there. Whether or not he exists, I'm not sure, but it feels as though he may as well not exist for me.

At least for now, I'll probably only buy from CH directly, considering I've only had good experiences with their conjures. If I ever buy from another seller, at least now I know not to jump in without doing my checks and research! :D

Return to “General Questions”