Can spirits be stolen?

Kvedulf133
neophyte
neophyte
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Zodiac:

Is it true that spirits can be kidnapped by other conjurers or keepers for nefarious purposes?

Silk
new here
new here
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 40
Spelled Number: 24
My magical/paranormal name...: Telesto Verdin
Zodiac:

No, as posted in the encyclopedia.

"No. Why?

#1 to unbind you must know the process in which it was
#3 we cannot transmute any bound
#2 you cannot forcibly bind spirits whose vessels are lost without their permission because as #2 states, you cannot FORCE a spirit to be bound.

Not only that, but conjurer/practitioners have no reason to try; they are capable of conjuring spirits so why would they want to do that when they can conjure what they want?

Binding isn't a simple thing you can do without either training or without a tool already prepared with the necessary enchantments for you to activate. And unbinding requires you to know how it was bound in order to deconstruct the binding and reverse the process. Not to mention any conjurer/practitioner worth their weight in gold will place certain enchantments on their bindings to safeguard the spirits & spells from anyone trying to be bothersome."

Kvedulf133
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Silk wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:38 am Not only that, but conjurer/practitioners have no reason to try; they are capable of conjuring spirits so why would they want to do that when they can conjure what they want?
What if the conjurer has something to gain of personal interest? Not saying that anyone would do that of course. This is a professional drama free atmosphere after all.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Kvedulf133 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:50 am
Silk wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:38 am Not only that, but conjurer/practitioners have no reason to try; they are capable of conjuring spirits so why would they want to do that when they can conjure what they want?
What if the conjurer has something to gain of personal interest? Not saying that anyone would do that of course. This is a professional drama free atmosphere after all.
These are articles by experts on those points, whose insights I can't better.

https://www.creepyhollows.com/faq/index ... ght=kidnap

https://www.creepyhollows.com/faq/index ... light=forc

tl/dr: No, spirits can't be forcibly bound or taken against their will. A poor binding by an inexpert, untrained practitioner might leave a spirit free to go elsewhere. Or attempts by a misguided practitioner to steal a bound spirit could cause energetic interference that affects the bond/link between keeper and spirit companion. (That's what spirit protectors like Crocotta can prevent.)

https://shop.creepyhollows.com/custom-crocotta.html

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Kvedulf133
neophyte
neophyte
Zodiac:

Lewk wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:05 pm
These are articles by experts on those points, whose insights I can't better.

https://www.creepyhollows.com/faq/index ... ght=kidnap

https://www.creepyhollows.com/faq/index ... light=forc

tl/dr: No, spirits can't be forcibly bound or taken against their will. A poor binding by an inexpert, untrained practitioner might leave a spirit free to go elsewhere. Or attempts by a misguided practitioner to steal a bound spirit could cause energetic interference that affects the bond/link between keeper and spirit companion. (That's what spirit protectors like Crocotta can prevent.)

https://shop.creepyhollows.com/custom-crocotta.html
Oh ok. Yeah these links can def help reassure newcomers for sure.

Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Number of Spirits: 191
Spelled Number: 380
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

It's untrue on so many levels. To unbind something, they need to know the exact binding process and the conditions that would lead to its release. Most conjurers and covens are secretive about their practices and rituals for that reason.

They have nothing to gain by doing that, so they will not take the time out of their lives to do it. If it boils down to personal gain, they can conjure something far more better in status and a better match in energy.
Please see the links above from Lewk for additional information.

In the name of the moon, I'll enlighten you!
Darknorth
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
Zodiac:

As people said, it is near impossible to steal a spirit since they would need to undo a binding which if done properly would be near impossible to do. Most practitioners would not undo a binding made by someone else because it is unethical and required too much effort. If someone wants a spirit with the same power they can conjurer another one with that same capability. If it is done to take away someone’s support and protection, there are other methods that prevent that person from being able to contact their spirits such as creating blockages, attacking their spirits in the spiritual/astral realms to keep them occupied, or even kill the spirit if the spirit is a living entity. Any of those is easier compared to trying to undo a binding.

jinglestar
new here
new here
Male/Female: It's a Secret

No. Like no one can steal your family and friends.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

I came across this article today, which contradicts what I said above, slightly.

https://www.creepyhollows.com/faq/index ... ding+works

"The process by which a conjurer binds a spirit is, in part, what dictates the energy with which the spirit will come through to the Keeper and whether or not the spirit could be stolen by a malicious, superior conjurer. Though this is a remote chance it does happen between warring collectors which is why publishing or otherwise publically announcing the name of your spirits is not recommended unless you are 100% positive the conjurer who bound the spirit has done so with protection to keep this from happening."

So it's a remote chance indeed...and it would also only be done by a malicious (ie in that sense Black Arts) conjurer, superior in power and ability to the one who did a poor binding.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
NitNatNewt
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Let's also not forget that by assuming a Spirit/Being can be stolen you're essentially both infantilizing them at best or considering them akin to slaves at worst. The Binding is a fancy way of having a Being (spirit or otherwise) on speed dial. They can do whatever they want, including telling someone who contacts them when they don't want go be contacted to *#@! right off. Our friends are here to help us in whatever way deemed fit between you and that particular being. Anything less, such as being tethered to us forcefully until someone snatches the lead, is laughable. The most that could possibly happen is you have a connection with a Being of high rank who might be busy on occasion and thus not answer right away. Which should be something known prior to the Binding so that both sides are well informed of what to expect. But many shops I've seen do mention this type of thing with high ranks. It's always good to double check!

Return to “Spirit Keeping”