new here
Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 9
Spelled Number: 4
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

What kind of altars does everyone set up for their spirit companions? I've seen complex stuff that takes up an entire room, to shelves and stuff like that! I'm trying to fix a semi-permanent altar setup, and I'm looking for ideas! Any sort of altars you guys have that you can describe would be awesome- or even just saying what you've noticed each race/specie's favorite type of setup is

Also, odd side note, but I can't really buy and burn incense because of my dad's health issues, but I can buy candles and burn them. I sometimes get a scent that a seller has described as being the spirit's favorite and will burn it as an offering to them...but for the colored candles that come unscented (because most of the sellers I purchase from says that green/black/other colored candles would be a good offering), do you guys burn those, or just leave them as offerings/decorations for the altars?

Hazell
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
If I could be anything, I would be...: Magical girl✨
My super power would be...: Read other's minds
Zodiac:

My main altar is a solid wood table. I have an area on it dedicated to love energies, and keep the vessels and offerings for beings associated with these energies in that space. My incubus companions kind of took over this space with their offerings lol. I have another area where I have a crystal tree. It has an amethyst base and rose quartz “petals.” Kind of reminds me of a cherry blossom tree. Around this tree I put crystal offerings meant to be shared and used among my companions. In the middle of this altar is a large amethyst geode on a wooden base. Haha for some reason whenever I do readings in this space I always think of my big amethyst as an energetic portal. The other side of my altar is pretty much dedicated to my king (😅 I like spoiling him.) Three of my companions requested decorative boxes that could be placed on my altar, so that’s where their vessels are kept and where offerings specifically for them go into. I also have a teakwood bowl. If I ever get a spell attached to a tumbled stone it goes in there.

Next to this table I have shelves where I store all my tarot and Oracle decks for easy access.

I have a few wall shelf altars as well. Both were bought at Earthbound. One is specifically dedicated to my angelic companions. At the top I have a chunky piece of celestite. On the bottom I have a white quartz geode. My angels love the energy of both of these pieces. In the middle of the altar I have a big clear quartz angel that is dedicated to my guardian angel. Other than that the vessels of my other angel companions (lots of crystal towers and crystal angel carvings) are scattered around here. I also keep any celestial/angelic related spells here. The latest addition to this altar is a glittery silver resin feather I picked up at a craft fair.

For my merfolk it’s not really an altar, but I know they like it. I bought a glass wall hanging with a dreamy mermaid on it. It’s meant to hold little succulents or flowers. Whenever I buy a bouquet for my companion I’ll separate one and put it in there to honor my aquatic companions.

A lot of the imagery and things decorating my walls are dedicated to my companions even if it’s not necessarily an altar. I have a framed crystal quartz grid that I know they really like as well as a framed amethyst point. My fae companions absolutely love my framed butterflies (they’re real and ethically collected.)

I have a big wooden dresser as well. It’s probably weird but I use the top of it as an altar too. Here I have two charging boxes (both were given to me as gifts and I decided to enchant them) in different styles. One is a plain wooden jewelry box and the other was made by a local artist and is luna moth/goddess themed and has ethically sourced bones and crystals used in the design. Other than that this space is dedicated to my deities, but that’s a bit more private.

On my bedside table I have what I call my sleep and dream altar. My companions with associations to the night will request that any crystal offerings I give to them go here. I have a giant selenite tower as the centerpiece of this altar. As well as another teakwood bowl filled with crystals to enhance sleep and dreams/spelled crystals associated with that.

I probably overshared, but I hope this gives you some ideas!

shieon
active contributor
active contributor
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

I bought a small table with a drawer and a bottom compartment for metaphysical books, and assembled it mostly. I saw this piece as an opportunity to be able to store things and double it up for the books, because I wanted more than just a surface. I used to use those mini flip tables but got fed up with using something that didn't have a firm base. I have a separate compartment drawer for all my incense and another separate one for all my oils.

I found a beautiful round dish at my local metaphysical store years ago and it's housed all my trinkets and where I position objects for water, air, fire, earth. I placed a lace cloth underneath everything though. I'm moving to a new place and think floating wall shelves would be a great idea for altar material, like representations, more books, a safe space for vessels, etc. I'm trying to do something fun by getting those coffin-shaped shelves up on my wall haha
I also too have art work up of my patron near my altar and occult art.

Now if I had my own place in the farther future, because what I want to do is buy a house, I plan on having more than one altar for different purposes but for now, I just have my standard primary altar I've invested a lot in.
I burn unscented and scented candles at my altar, when I feel like it, for offerings, for ritual work..

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

Brie wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:31 am What kind of altars does everyone set up for their spirit companions? I've seen complex stuff that takes up an entire room, to shelves and stuff like that! I'm trying to fix a semi-permanent altar setup, and I'm looking for ideas! Any sort of altars you guys have that you can describe would be awesome- or even just saying what you've noticed each race/specie's favorite type of setup is

Also, odd side note, but I can't really buy and burn incense because of my dad's health issues, but I can buy candles and burn them. I sometimes get a scent that a seller has described as being the spirit's favorite and will burn it as an offering to them...but for the colored candles that come unscented (because most of the sellers I purchase from says that green/black/other colored candles would be a good offering), do you guys burn those, or just leave them as offerings/decorations for the altars?
I think we can each do whatever suits our circumstances.

I have a lot of spirit communes, which are places where not only can the spirits/LEs feel included in my life but where they also can interact with each other. And you can go to the commune and address its leader, rather than having to talk to each and every spirit individually, in sequence. For things like a protection commune, or a health commune, you can probably see how that'd be useful.

The CH Advanced Spirit Keeping book has a section on communes and a spell for setting them up, by ability, spirit types, etc.

So they're not technically altars but to me they're even better.

The way I think of spirit altars is that - in my mind - that's associated with non-spirit keeping spiritual practices. If you think about it, an altar isn't required in modern spirit keeping. I do have an altar myself but for me it's more to do with magical and conjuring practices than for honoring or bonding with my bound spirit companions, or giving them offerings/treats. I tend to leave those either near their vessel or a relevant commune.

That's just what I do.

tl/dr: My spirit communes probably take the place of spirit altars. Before spirit keeping my spirit contact practices didn't involve the use of altars. For me an altar is more a place for magical practice

I hope that information's useful.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Darknorth
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 4
Your favorite spirit to work with: All of them
Zodiac:

I have a small shelf that acts as my alter. I have few crystals on it to help cleanse the area but the alter’s main purpose is to have a dedicated space where I can place offerings for my keep.

Daciana
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Your favorite spirit to work with: All
If I could be anything, I would be...: Just Me 😊
Zodiac:

I have a hanging hutch type that has multiple cubbies, drawers and cabinets. Each box is for a different group like dragons, vampires, faeries.. etc. For my Faeries I built a little cottage with trees, flowers and hanging crystals inside one of the bigger cubbies. Their offerings go inside the cottage. Usually filled with flowers, crystals, and candy.
There is a main shelf community area on top for offerings . It has thick polished selenite slabs to set their vessels on for cleansing.
Each of their boxes have a charging stone in it. Enchanted orbs sit on top shelf, including feeding orbs.
One row of drawers keep my oils, powders, herbs, enchanted items, extra crystals or things my companions want me to hide.

🦇♦️🦇
ASTER
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: 👼🏻🐲🧚🧝🏻‍♀️🧙‍♂️🧛🧞‍♂️
If I could be anything, I would be...: Celestial
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Aster 🌟 Jupiter

I have my bed shelf section set up for my mystical companions with lots of sparkling crystals and tinker boxes filled with gemstones & coins. Each group has their each tinker box with vessels inside. My faries and angels are given mini cute figurines that represents them and ceramics that holds their gemstones plus a hint of offering herb from time to time. All this is in my bedroom. My under bed draw includes my books and hidden items I keep away from spying eyes.

On the living room, I have my Himalayas salt lamp with selenite candle holder. It proved to me an enormous benefit to even hatch my baby boobrie, to create positive vines, to have my keep a focus space because I have my' thinking' couch under nearby where I usually do my writing sessions, or if Iam sitting outside, that is very near to it. It has a seam warmlight to it. It's just beautiful and I have it for a good number of years.

On my porch I have more candles and a crystal tray that I collect shells and rocks from the seashore, or place beautiful flowers onto my table for Immortal & celestial offerings. I am not always in follow-up the moon face's but my intention maybe does the job.

Basically, I invited my companions to enjoy all that I have from my garden to my rooms and take part of my life as theirs energetically. I feel a big oltar myself as I share my life with them.

400✨Aster💫Jupiter

NitNatNewt
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: It's a Secret

My Altar and my Charging box are one in the same. It's filled with crushed gems, a few points, a tiny Pyramid, my favorite Tarot Deck, my favorite Oracle Deck, Huff's Cats Eye, The dream Sphere from huff, a specialized place for my Master Vessel holding all my spells and my Spirit Friend binding, some personal gifts like dried rose petals and other small offerings, a few tiny spell jars, a tiny oil container, and a few other miscellaneous witchy things like a spelled tealight candle holder for offerings.

It's difficult for me to have a full Altar, especially since they make my wife (a botanist / kitchen Witch in denial) very uncomfortable. I don't have the ability to dedicate a room to my pathwork nor do I really want to. So my Box (which I picked out and decorated myself) works just as well. Everytime I open it I feel empowered.

GothKrispies
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 24
Your favorite spirit to work with: No favorite
If I could be anything, I would be...: Mermaid
Zodiac:

I don’t have a fancy altar for my spirit companions. I have a small charging box on my windowsill with some gemstones and seashells on either side of it. Some of the gemstones are old vessels where the bindings were transmuted to new vessels, and the rest are gifts I got for my spirits. The seashells were given to me and I gave them to my spirits. I keep a charging pouch on my bedside table. If I wasn’t constantly bumping into the table in the hall on my way to bed, I’d probably turn that into a proper altar lol

✊🏾ALL LIVES CAN’T MATTER UNTIL BLACK LIVES MATTER ✊🏾
cndrow
neophyte
neophyte
Number of Spirits: 18
Spelled Number: 9
Your favorite spirit to work with: Psy Vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: Vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Lucien
Zodiac:

I have a tall, skinny bookshelf that has 4 shelves (5 if I utilize the top, which I do!). It doesn't take up a lot of room, but it is surprisingly spacious.

The top shelf is where any current spellwork I have going on resides alongside my gargoyle's statue; then I have a DA shelf specifically, then a mixed WA/DA shelf, then a shelf with my spell stones, then the last shelf on the bottom is for books, spare candles/offerings, tarot/oracle decks and spellwork miscellany.

I also have a small cleared space beside my bed where I may put spelled or spirited vessels overnight, if I want protection or want to invite specific friends into my dreams. It's a tiny sacred space I keep clean.

Return to “Spirit Keeping”