What's the best way to get into a trance state?

HonkPills
new here
new here
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
Zodiac:

I want to begin with trancework, but I have no idea where to begin. I want to do a daily practice/regimen in order to get better. Does anyone have any ideas? Should I just practice meditation more?

Currently with meditation, I can go as far as not feeling much of my body parts anymore, but that's about it.

Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

It is about suppressing conscious thought. So repetitive/automatic tasks, mantras, and the like are useful in achieving a trance.

Usually understanding how trance feels is necessary before it becomes easier to will it effectively. To train yourself I would experiment with levels of sensory deprivation or safe methods of sensory pressure. This pushes the consciousness to operate on a different level.

An example of such a course would be:
Wearing a sleep mask and noise-canceling headphones in addition to repeating a mantra in your mind.
Then repeating the mantra out loud in a dark room, nothing else.
Then the mantra while you are going about a daily task.
Then the same daily task without the mantra.

You work up to being able to control and place yourself into a trance consciously. With isolating the senses you may fall asleep, but as you peel away the support you will be able to work with trance more productively. You would ultimately associate the task of the final level in this example to a trance state, and this could then extend to any/all tasks, including simple breathing.

From there you work on turning it off and on.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
Lewk
sanctified
sanctified
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 300
Spelled Number: 200
Your favorite spirit to work with: Any
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Ability to fly
My magical/paranormal name...: Alaric Indigo Root
Zodiac:

I hesitate to follow on from Vipera's post. However...

The kind of trance you're interested in could be achieved either:

a. quietly; or
b. vigorously.

Here's an extract on achieving a trance state from pg 127 of Lawrence Galian's 'Beyond Duality', New Falcon Publications, 1995, which is a kind of Hermetic approach to Chaos Magic.

"Begin by generating a state of mind in which you lose focus on yourself. This can be done in a quiet way through meditation on a mantra, gazing at a candle flame, looking at a yantra, focusing on one's breathing and so on.

[...] the goal is to shift the focus off of ourselves thereby losing subjectivity.

This aim can also be achieved in a more vigorous way through ecstatic dancing, drumming, sexual intercourse, vigorous exercise, chanting, exercise breathing, marathon running, masturbation and so forth, for an extended length of time...at least twenty minutes and probably about two hours ideally."

It's also possible to enter a light trance via deep relaxation, in which the conscious mind remains awake and able to do 'spiritual' work.

Self hypnosis induction methods can also be used to enter this kind of trance state.

Many, or most, people drift in and out of a hypnotic trance state at times during the day, typically.

You must stay on the path. Do not leave it.
If you do, you'll never...
find it again.
No matter what may come, stay on...
the path! [Gandalf, in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug]
Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Zodiac:

Never hesitate, @Lewk
What you're saying is a powerful elaboration onto what I was trying to indicate. And you have knowledge from experience that is uniquely helpful. In fact, please post more from your experience, what you've read and what you've practiced (doesn't have to be here, but in any post that warrants it - we all have a lot to learn from you.)

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
stargazerjournal
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 30
Spelled Number: 16
Your favorite spirit to work with: Incubus/cambion

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend either The Honest Guys meditation on YouTube (they have some trance-state videos, like their shamanic journeying one), or music with heavy drumbeats. I use the Calm Whale YouTube channel a lot too. Music without lyrics work best. Then, sit or lay down in a dark room and just concentrate on the drums until you lose track of your thoughts & external time. This is how I do things.

You also might want to read The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner, he explains a lot. Just be aware that some people think he's guilty of cultural appropriation, so there's some politics around his work. Don't use drugs, you really do not need them.

Adair Lasair Bán
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Spelled Number: 60
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angelics & Immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself

Some great info posted in here. Keeping an eye on this thread!

“May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
Nightrunner404
neophyte
neophyte
Male/Female: It's a Secret

Definitely taking notes as well. Always great insight from Vipera and Lewk.

ASTER
venerated member
venerated member
Your favorite spirit to work with: 👼🏻🐲🧚🧝🏻‍♀️🧙‍♂️🧛🧞‍♂️
If I could be anything, I would be...: Celestial
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Aster 🌟 Jupiter

So ... I am reading this, but I don't do any of this, yet my end result is partial shifting. I didn't know it's called trance. Maybe mine is different. I don't really know.

Native American Flute playing from my part is shifting for me. Drum 🥁 as it was said, and the monotonous bite of the music. Also, to me movement, like walking, I have strong shifting of consciousness and best telepathic with my spirits.

Also, I know about that relaxed state and focused shifting and I can bring it on super fast with my pendulum or my Sin Easter's vessel when I do the swings. But what is new to me is the name of it, trance and what do you guys use it for? Sorry for the blunt question. Maybe mine is as I call it "in between ".

Return to “General Questions”