Answers: 0
You are...: new to this
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 198
Spelled Number: 470
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

Paranormal learning covers a broad spectrum of metaphysical and extrasensory phenomena and abilities. This might encompass a range of topics like divination, lucid dreaming, astral projection, mediumship, psychic abilities, and energy manipulation, to list a few. Despite its compelling allure for many, the realm of the paranormal frequently encounters a formidable barrier - skepticism. This skepticism, while healthy in some respects, may actually impede the development of paranormal learning abilities.

Skepticism isn't entirely negative. It plays a crucial role in critical thinking and can help individuals avoid blindly accepting everything they encounter. But there's a distinction to be made between healthy doubt and outright disbelief. One-off experiences, old wives' tales, and unsolicited advice could all be healthily questioned. However, dismissive skepticism that refuses to entertain the possibility of such phenomena being real does a disservice to those earnestly studying these areas.

Acknowledging the paranormal requires one to step beyond the observable and into the world of quantum and energetic realities - things that are less easy to measure or verify empirically. Success in paranormal pursuits largely depends on an individual's belief system. Many abilities, like attuning to the energies around us, opening our third eye, or astrally projecting, require a strong belief in the possibility of such phenomena. Skepticism can doubt this very possibility, halting progress before it even starts.

Paranormal learning abilities require a certain level of mental, emotional, and spiritual openness. Skeptics, particularly those stamped with cynicism, often build intellectual and intuitive walls that prevent new insights from entering their consciousness. This mental predilection narrows the view on how information is processed and understood, which can stall the learning process.

The antidote is not necessarily to dismiss skepticism entirely, but to promote a sense of balance. A healthy blend of critical thinking and open-mindedness allows one to discern valid information from fantasy while still being receptive to new ideas, experiences, and realities. In developing paranormal abilities, encouraging this balance between skepticism and openness might be the key to fostering meaningful progress.

In conclusion, skepticism can be a significant roadblock in the path of those keen on expanding their paranormal learning abilities. While it's doing its job perfectly by challenging the notion of blindly accepting knowledge, skepticism should not be inflexible. A measure of caution paired with an open mind can arguably enhance personal growth exponentially, especially in the dynamic, unseen, and spellbinding realm of the paranormal.

In the name of the moon, I'll enlighten you!
Redregon
new here
new here
You are...: in the learning process
Number of Spirits: 3
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unknown as of yet
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Super speed
Zodiac:

Tarvos wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:16 am A healthy blend of critical thinking and open-mindedness
Yeah, I can confirm this as being a healthy path. I choose to keep at least one foot in reality whenever possible, but I do recognize that there may come times when you have to place all your trust in the powers that be and take a leap of faith.

I know from first hand experience what a self-imposed block feels like. It's like, you fight and fight and push and push and it feels like you get nowhere (usually because there are expectations on what sorts of phenomena one should experience while doing certain things.) But to be honest, the most progress I've made were when I turn off the skeptical mind (I can turn it back on later when the experience is over) and simply trust my team. Most of my progress has been through that (though the skepticism, when healthy, has helped me gain a better understanding of those experiences.)

Skepticism I think should usually be reserved for after the experience. For when you have your notes and have grounded and re-centered yourself. That way you can then not be distracted by the skeptical mindset while the experience is on going.

I mean, it's not easy to just turn it on and off, but it is (with practice) possible to put those thoughts aside so they don't clog up your mental landscape.

EDIT: I think the difficult part is identifying when skepticism is healthy, and when it is toxic. It's very easy to be all "but this does not line up with my experience so therefore it is not valid." That's not skepticism. Skepticism is inherently about curiosity and wanting to know more. It's not necessarily about dismissing claims that seem to go against one's world-view (though I do understand how some modern skeptics are not actually being skeptical, they're just being ignorant and closed-minded.)
Last edited by Redregon on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adair Lasair Bán
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
Spelled Number: 60
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angelics & Immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: Myself
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

Nothing further to add to an already well thought out and expressed post. \./

“May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
Anonymously anonymous
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift

It took me a while to find the balance so I couldn't agree more!

Tarvos
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: new to this
Number of Spirits: 198
Spelled Number: 470
Your favorite spirit to work with: Angel, Dragon
If I could be anything, I would be...: Demon
My super power would be...: Read other's minds

Redregon wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:49 am Yeah, I can confirm this as being a healthy path. I choose to keep at least one foot in reality whenever possible, but I do recognize that there may come times when you have to place all your trust in the powers that be and take a leap of faith.

I know from first hand experience what a self-imposed block feels like. It's like, you fight and fight and push and push and it feels like you get nowhere (usually because there are expectations on what sorts of phenomena one should experience while doing certain things.) But to be honest, the most progress I've made were when I turn off the skeptical mind (I can turn it back on later when the experience is over) and simply trust my team. Most of my progress has been through that (though the skepticism, when healthy, has helped me gain a better understanding of those experiences.)

Skepticism I think should usually be reserved for after the experience. For when you have your notes and have grounded and re-centered yourself. That way you can then not be distracted by the skeptical mindset while the experience is on going.

I mean, it's not easy to just turn it on and off, but it is (with practice) possible to put those thoughts aside so they don't clog up your mental landscape.

EDIT: I think the difficult part is identifying when skepticism is healthy, and when it is toxic. It's very easy to be all "but this does not line up with my experience so therefore it is not valid." That's not skepticism. Skepticism is inherently about curiosity and wanting to know more. It's not necessarily about dismissing claims that seem to go against one's world-view (though I do understand how some modern skeptics are not actually being skeptical, they're just being ignorant and closed-minded.)
I'm going to leave my thoughts in the edit section of your post. If you're referring to multiple responses in your other thread, rest assured that all of these are valid and resonate with my personal experiences. I wasn't rejecting any claims or being oblivious, I was simply trying my best to clarify some misunderstandings which have arisen due to a lack of specificity on our part regarding custom conjurations, pre-bounds, and the various possible and impossible types of manifestations for bound versus unbound companions.

My intention was never to contradict the collective worldview, as I've experienced all of these phenomena myself. Lol. So my statements weren't meant as dismissing claims or being ignorant. I presume that certain details might have been overlooked by many who only read through the first page and responded, hence leading to certain misunderstandings.

Regarding that particular thread, I do feel bad for you, but not for my replies. Instead, it's because your position as a skeptic can be challenging when you find yourself in the midst of a discussion where experienced Keepers are sharing unfamiliar experiences. Coupled with unfamiliar terminology, this could lead to doubts about certain knowledge claims.

I believe you might have misunderstood the true nature of skepticism. It is an approach that embodies doubt, or disbelief in the veracity or utility of something. Curiosity or eagerness to learn more doesn't define skepticism. Even with an abundance of information, a skeptic holds on to their disbelief of the shared information.

In the name of the moon, I'll enlighten you!
Redregon
new here
new here
Number of Spirits: 3
Your favorite spirit to work with: Unknown as of yet
If I could be anything, I would be...: Dragon
My super power would be...: Super speed
Zodiac:

Tarvos wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:06 am I'm going to leave my thoughts in the edit section of your post. If you're referring to multiple responses in your other thread, rest assured that all of these are valid and resonate with my personal experiences. I wasn't rejecting any claims or being oblivious, I was simply trying my best to clarify some misunderstandings which have arisen due to a lack of specificity on our part regarding custom conjurations, pre-bounds, and the various possible and impossible types of manifestations for bound versus unbound companions.

My intention was never to contradict the collective worldview, as I've experienced all of these phenomena myself. Lol. So my statements weren't meant as dismissing claims or being ignorant. I presume that certain details might have been overlooked by many who only read through the first page and responded, hence leading to certain misunderstandings.

Regarding that particular thread, I do feel bad for you, but not for my replies. Instead, it's because your position as a skeptic can be challenging when you find yourself in the midst of a discussion where experienced Keepers are sharing unfamiliar experiences. Coupled with unfamiliar terminology, this could lead to doubts about certain knowledge claims.

I believe you might have misunderstood the true nature of skepticism. It is an approach that embodies doubt, or disbelief in the veracity or utility of something. Curiosity or eagerness to learn more doesn't define skepticism. Even with an abundance of information, a skeptic holds on to their disbelief of the shared information.
I was referring more to how some modern skeptics seem to have forgotten that curiosity and a willingness to learn are part of what skepticism is supposed to be about (but I will admit my interpretation of what skepticism is might not be what's commonly accepted as its definition. Still, to me, skepticism is about wanting to know more, not wanting to dismiss things that do not fit into one's current paradigm.)

As for my post history, I'm not sure why it's relevant to mention that here, as it's a bit of a divergence from the topic and there's no real reason (that I can see) to bring that up here. If you have a reason, I'm more than willing to hear it.
Last edited by Redregon on Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Spirit Keeping”