Question for ALL Practitioners and Practitioners that started out as "Keepers"

Amberly
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: experienced
My super power would be...: Ability to fly

It's been a hot minute since I've been on the forum; I'm not sure if what I'm about to ask has been asked although I think it might have been. I may not word the question right, there are days my brain takes a day off when I need it to function properly - lol.

For the practitioners - are you making a living full time, and paying all expenses by yourself, just as a practitioner or do you need a job/career out there with the muggles to make a living? I think that's it... honestly. I'd love to hear @Magnolia's and @ASH's opinion but they are probably one of the few that make this their living this way, the lucky few.

I've been casting spells for over 20 years, long before I homed my first spirit. Magic was something that I was naturally drawn to anything pertaining to psychic, hauntings, dreams, etc. I've rarely offered my magic to the public and when I did, I'd stop afterwards because my parents drilled into my head that working for myself is not a way to live and I have to work for someone else in order to make "real money" to have a place, food, etc. I'm not happy when I do though, and I know deep in my bones that I'm meant for something different.

~Amberly~

Dare to be Different; Dare to Dream ~ Moi/ME
I'm the village crazy lady, that's my job ~Grandma Tala (Moana)
Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something ~Morihei Ueshiba
Amberly
venerated member
venerated member

Yeeah, I probably should have proof-read before I submitted that. I got woken up by one of the spirits talking to me about a security issue; couldn't get back to sleep so my mentor started spit-balling ideas my way and here I am barely a functioning zombie but I digress.

I know that I am a grown-ass adult, capable of making my own decisions but family has always played a huge part of my life. Given certain events in my life, they play an even bigger part than I probably should be giving them and I'm still letting the life lessons they taught me during my crucial developmental years control my life. I'm doing what I can to break the pattern, but I'm genuinely curious as to if living as a practitioner, full time, can be an honest living or is it something that is more of a side income?

~Amberly~

Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something ~Morihei Ueshiba
Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

I work for myself, but I also work in three different fields and am planning to go into a fourth. I don't profit much from my metaphysical work, and would probably not charge for it if it weren't for everything I am investing to be able to offer it in the first place, as I was practicing long prior to realizing there was a demand for what I was doing.
I did attempt to do this full-time in the past but it became nonsensical to me for a few personal reasons. When you are opening yourself to work for hundreds of people you realize pretty quickly that, making yourself so available attracts a convenience-oriented mindset where many (of course not all) expect to have magic done at the rate that coffees are being churned out at Starbucks. If a practitioner has made this their primary business and happens to be authentic, they commit to embracing that audacity...

You can make an honest living of it, as an honest person who believes in their work, if you can accept the above mentioned reality, know what you're getting yourself into and are willing to set boundaries.
There are a number of issues to note, and if you can handle them I don't see why you shouldn't at least try to do what you really want to do. Certainly I am going to tell you not to listen to your family and that you can manage what you set your mind to, plenty just don't set their mind to very much because they've sadly had that mentality ingrained prior to having the chance to think about it for themselves. And even if you prove everyone wrong, you'll still have people telling you to 'get a real job' because they are insecure and envious you were able to do what you dreamed.

Anyway, the potential issues I hinted at include:
- Clients that are desperate for a quick fix to their situation or information on issues, who are obviously in a delicate place and may need psychiatric care but will come to you anyway
- Clients that are either very skeptical or very inexperienced, who will put pressure on you if your work doesn't perceivably manifest for them immediately
- Clients taking advantage of your kindness
- Clients becoming obsessed with you if you're too friendly
- Clients being rude and dismissive toward you if you are forthright
- Undervaluing your work, and overscheduling.. which will leave you burnt out
- Doing whatever people want vs. what you are passionate about.. which will leave you burnt out
- Other 'sellers' copying your listings
- Seller/Client/Seller etc. DRAMA which is tedious and you should take no part in, aside from standing up for yourself where necessary.. and always keep receipts of questionable encounters
- Not making time for your own personal spiritual practice, losing sight of your own spiritual path
- Having the joy of your path diminish and income bubble up to the forefront of why you're practicing.. slippery slope for some, I've noticed.

You could be aware of a lot of this from having been an observer in the community, but I thought it worth noting.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
Soltari
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: in the learning process
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 7

Vipera put it excellently...I would just like to put emphasis on her final point.
Worked in Brick and mortar store (reiki/tarot/etcetc), like to open my own sometime, and ive seen businesses and practitioner groups utterly collapse, or eat themselves, once that greed portion kicks in.

You also can not underestimate the amount of bloody drama that occurs - from minor issues that occur everywhere...to full blown freak outs - from both customers and fellow practitioners - ranging from unhealed trauma all the way to full blown psychosis from those who've slipped walking that fine line, ego battles, etc etc

Most practioners I know, myself included, work in multiple areas. The trick is to find something you're just as passionate/interested in and, if you're lucky, something you can also bring your work into in one form or another

If you're not capable of great violence you can't call yourself peaceful...only harmless

Proud member of a spirit family
shieon
active contributor
active contributor
You are...: a practitioner
Male/Female: It's a Secret
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 100
Your favorite spirit to work with: Humans
If I could be anything, I would be...: Gumiho
My magical/paranormal name...: Violet
Zodiac:

I'd like to offer my friend's experience as well as mine...And also there is similar advice I have too coming from my ex-partner about doing it "full time."

My ex-partner is a bruja but she believes earning a living with the metaphysical is not possible unless it is providing stability and truly paying your bills. I think of S. Connolly as an example lol she is a writer with multiple pen names. She does paid metaphysical services and readings but her career is a writer. You would have to be earning A LOT of income consistently, in my opinion, and it also is a field that opens yourself up absolutely to all kinds of energies and eyes. I feel venturing in here means you need to be okay with that, knowing there is going to be that inevitability.

I've also understood that building good rapport is important. I guess I'll use Grey Kindred Spirits as an example - I have visited them in-person and their whole house is literally their life work, their workplace, and where they conduct everything. They have a great reputation among a majority of their clients and I believe that is a key thing that allows their income to flow over time, and for people to keep coming back. Not once ever being affiliated with any kind of "beef" with other people. I think only one of them (because they are a couple) does work a full time job though. They earn a lot through their services but still need to work a job outside of the meta.

Also, the comment about the slippery slope thing I feel is very important.
I feel a lot of sellers and practitioners that try making a shop, and I have seen this OFTEN....they start earning what seems like a lot of money - then that's when a lot of the drama starts because a change in attitude begins. I think a lot of these sellers think of money = power. They aren't as focused on their craft or practice and do a lot of clout chasing and grow a big head on their shoulders. Because of the gained popularity or wealth there's a lot of self-centeredness going on. I feel a person who seriously wants to get into this full time should come in with pure intentions and an authentic self. I like being excited for and being supportive of people but I've found that's costed me a lot because those kind of people don't care and are more than happy for blind loyalty and hype from you if you don't have to question their behaviors etc.

My friend does make a living off of it though too, she has a retail store in a mall strip and a whole witchcraft business where people are regular clients. She paid for the retail space and basically planned out marketing, employees, import and export, etc. She earns quite a lot now and opened a second store for healing work.
But this is only perspective I am offering because this is in an overseas country...she has lately been interested in opening a store in the US on the west coast but I feel the clientale here is very different and could be slightly difficult depending on a lot of things (e.g. imo America is polarized with religion, atheism, and spiritual folk)
She does have a public platform though and has had media type of coverage, and I've seen a lot of the skepticism, hordes of judgment, negative comments, a lot of that. So in her case she decided to have a public spotlight with her work. She has a certain type of drive and grit though, and initially found success with Etsy until the website said her work is in violation of their policies (because it is metaphysical work).

I'm interested in opening a metaphysical store still - online. I've done readings on the side in the past but I think I will only continue to do it as a passive side thing. So far I only allow mutual friends to pay me for private readings. I have had a lot of that throughout the years. In the past I did a lot of public readings which I would say was hard for me... I realized back then I needed to consider my routine and willingness. I'm more interested in making my website into a knowledge base. Now the interesting thing is I've had one Goetic demon since 2020 tell me I should consider some kind of business...but that might not be occult or anything. I've had business ideas that have nothing to do with spirituality mostly for creative work.

I prefer working a job though. I'd be doing horribly if I put my cards in metaphysical work...just too much of a risk for me. I just got a new job to work at a hospital so my livelihood is probably going to stem from there.

I think full time practitioner means doing a lot of research and ensuring you are well-equipped, and also having a plan in case things do not work out. Also just being aware of the "climate" too... For example paying attention to what is going on with other shops or communities can be very useful. You will notice certain trends among people, who they go to, all that stuff.

"내가 꿈에나와도 그건 귀신이나 괴한이 아니야. 천사지."

There are some people whose dread of human beings is so morbid that they reach a point where they yearn to see with their own eyes monsters of ever more horrible shapes.

I share co-consciousness and a shared astral body with an angelic guardian entity named, "Victor," or "L." Spirit worker, demonolator, generational clairvoyant.

Vipera aspis atra
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a master
Zodiac:

These points on the business orientation of it and what it means to be a reputable business owner are so important as well.
If you want to make something that could maybe partially sustain you, you will need to have some knack for business or to make time to educate yourself, and consider what it means to run a small business, as that's what it is at the end of the day.
If you're going to be a one person operation there is a lot to keep in mind.. from performing the work, to keeping on top of shipments or production where that applies, to communication as well as advertising, networking occasionally, etc. When you work for yourself you're responsible for it allllllllllll.. unless you can afford to hire others to help with tasks.

"There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it."
—Oscar Wilde
Lux
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: a practitioner

I have been thinking to make a living out of magick for the last decade, but have not put enough effort into it and focused more on earning through a regular job. I offered Reiki sessions and also, I had an Etsy shop where I offered spelled items, not great business ideas, just something. But I have always been interrupted by jobs that suck too much energy out of me and so my side "businesses" have been abandoned. The time has come now to think what I really want to do. I am in a period of pause and reinvention. Working in a stressful environment does no good to my spiritual development, from my last two jobs I got blocks on my psychic skills and health issues...So if I want to sell meta services to people, I should focus mainly on that or then have a very quiet simple regular job at the same time (not sure if that kind of job exists). I could not imagine selling anything metaphysical related to people while at the same time working at a stressful corporate job, as my energy levels would not be at the level.

Amberly
venerated member
venerated member

Wow, I came back to so many replies. Thank you @Vipera aspis atra @Soltari and @shieon for such detail, help, and insight on living as a practitioner. From the sounds of it, full time living wouldn't be very beneficial. I guess it's just going to be something that I would have to do from the side or simply for myself. I guess I will have to try a different path. I appreciate everyone's honesty.

@Angelik I'm sorry for the issues you're going through. I see loved ones go through it; I hope it gets better <3

~Amberly~

ASTER
venerated member
venerated member
You are...: in the learning process
Your favorite spirit to work with: 👼🏻🐲🧚🧝🏻‍♀️🧙‍♂️🧛🧞‍♂️
If I could be anything, I would be...: Celestial
My super power would be...: See spirits in true form
My magical/paranormal name...: Aster 🌟 Jupiter

It crossed my mind... I guess,🤔 we would all love to run a supernatural business, full time. But to me is being genuinely good at it, is the most important thing. And due to be a late starter, I know, I won't be able to support professional development with safitient experience and expertise in my life time.

What I find very satisfying experience personally though, that I do have a nice progress in my growth. But I won't ever be as good as a genuine professional like CH to run my own business.

But that's just me. 😁 I rather enjoyed this topic.

400✨Aster💫Jupiter

Amberly
venerated member
venerated member

ASTER wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:25 am It crossed my mind... I guess,🤔 we would all love to run a supernatural business, full time. But to me is being genuinely good at it, is the most important thing. And due to be a late starter, I know, I won't be able to support professional development with safitient experience and expertise in my life time.

What I find very satisfying experience personally though, that I do have a nice progress in my growth. But I won't ever be as good as a genuine professional like CH to run my own business.

But that's just me. 😁 I rather enjoyed this topic.
I feel the same, I would love to run a supernatural business full time. I've had huge growth but there are certain things I want to do; not your typical love/money/protection/etc spell. One day, I might figure it out and do something about it, but more on the side, but full time at this point is out of the cards I think... at least for me.

~Amberly~

Return to “General Questions”