30 Minute Turkey Chili

Share your favorite recipes that are to die for!
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Answers: 0
You are...: in the learning process
Zodiac:

It takes longer to cut everything up than it does to actually cook this chili. But it is very very good. Its not like your standard chili that is very red with a thick almost spaghetti sauce type of broth. Its much thinner and much "brighter" tasting. However, it can be quite spicy.

If you don't like it too spicy, then cut down on the jalapeno peppers and/or the Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. But please don't cut them out altogether...especially the Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce. If you really hate spicy things, then at least use some of the Adobo sauce in your chili and none of the chilies. You want to get that smoky flavor in there and the Adobo sauce is how to do it.

I don’t really measure things…I sort of do it all by eyeball but I’ll try to give measurements. Having said that then, obviously all measurements can be adjusted to suit your tastes.

1-2 Tbsp Olive oil
1-2 onions chopped (yellow or red)
1 Red Bell pepper chopped
3-4 Jalapeño peppers…de-vein (the white stuff) and de-seed then chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic pressed with garlic press

1-2 Tbsp of Chili Powder (how hot do you like it? I like mine spicy)
2 tsp of ground Cumin
1 Tbsp of dried Oregano

1 pkg of lean ground Turkey meat
3-4 peppers from can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, chopped

3/4 to one entire box of chicken broth (I use the organic, low-salt kind you can get at Whole Foods, etc)
28 oz can of Tomatoes…separate the tomatoes from the juice and roughly chop the tomatoes. Reserve the juice.

1 TBSP of red wine vinegar
1 tsp of sugar

Salt and pepper to taste

15 oz can of Pinto or Black Beans, drained and rinsed

Garnish: lime wedges for squeezing
Low-fat cream cheese
Cheddar and/or Jack cheese, shredded
Chopped cilantro
Sliced avocado
--------------------------------------------------------
(1) Sauté onions on medium to med-high heat until they are soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally. The trick to getting onions soft and sweet without burning, and not having to use too much oil is to add about a tablespoon of water around the edges of the onions every time the pan starts to dry out (before the onions burn). Cook until onions are golden brown. This step will take about 8-10 minutes and is important so don't rush it.

(2) Add both kinds of peppers and sauté for a few minutes. Then add the pressed garlic and cook just for a few minutes more (garlic gets bitter if its overcooked).

(3) Add spices and sauté for 1-2 minutes.

(4) Add turkey…break it up and sauté for about 5-6 minutes. Don’t overcook or it will be dry at the very end. Add chopped Chipotle peppers along with 1-2 tsp of the Adobo sauce in the Chipotle pepper can. Cook a few minutes more.

(5) Add 3/4 to one whole box of the chicken broth to turkey mixture. Add chopped tomatoes and as much of the reserved tomato juice as you like. This will probably depend on how much chicken broth you have used.

(6) Add red wine vinegar and sugar; stir.

(7) Bring to a boil, and let cook for about 5-15 minutes to finish cooking the turkey meat. Taste and add salt and fresh ground pepper.

(8) Add beans, and turn the heat down to low and let cook for 5 minutes or so to heat up the beans.

(9) Serve in bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro, cheese, avocado, sour cream and a squeeze of lime. Don’t skip the garnishes….these really make the chili and help to counteract the spiciness.

(10) **Optional: You can also add brown rice to the bottom of the bowl and/or slightly crushed corn chips to the top (along with the other garnishes). This truly is a FEAST in bowl.

Serves at least 6 hungry people or two hungry people over several days/nights. EVEN BETTER THE NEXT DAY so don't be afraid of left-overs :hungry: :drool:

crone maatkaere
sanctified
sanctified
You are...: a master
Number of Spirits: 2638
Spelled Number: 847
Your favorite spirit to work with: immortals
If I could be anything, I would be...: vampire
My super power would be...: Ability to shape-shift
My magical/paranormal name...: Raven Greywolf
Zodiac:

oh ellegria....yyuuuummmmm! oh this is a definite printout for me and i have ground turkey in the freezer sooooo......oh ya, gonna make some this week! woohoo thanks for sharing this with us! ;) take care, arsine :wave: :hug:

witch, wa, da, specialty in egyptian, celt, asian, hindu magick
trained conjurer
cupping healer
reiki grand master and elven shaman

By the moon we sport and play. With the night begins our day...Thomas Ravenscroft
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly....me
Ē\ tā\n ē\ epì tâs - "Either [with] it [your shield], or on it"...Spartan Mothers to their sons
Mau Emerald Nile
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Hi Crone,
Glad you found the recipe potentially yummy. I made some last night and am already on my second night of eating it for supper. It is sooooooooooooooooo good. :drool:

queenies return
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: experienced
Number of Spirits: 200
Spelled Number: 40
Your favorite spirit to work with: vampire
If I could be anything, I would be...: Immortal
My super power would be...: Super speed
My magical/paranormal name...: n/a
Zodiac:

I love turkey anything. going to make this tonight-thanks. :thumbup:

Vampire lover [its in the blood]!Image
Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Bump

sillycsilli
neophyte
neophyte
You are...: a practitioner
Number of Spirits: 10
Spelled Number: 15
Your favorite spirit to work with: Faeries
Zodiac:

Nom nom nom! I think I am going to make this for football Sunday next weekend! :thumbup: thanks!

Xo
Ferocious Harmony
acclaimed member
acclaimed member
You are...: experienced
Male/Female: Male
Number of Spirits: 10000
Spelled Number: 200
If I could be anything, I would be...: Me
Zodiac:

I didn't even finish reading the first post before I noticed I was copying down the recipe. Next time I go shopping twill be a tasty day indeed. :hungry:

I read these words of my future in the past, and now my lie is true.

There is always a solution, have you the fortitude to seek it.

Ellegria*
venerated member
venerated member
Zodiac:

Ferocious Harmony wrote:I didn't even finish reading the first post before I noticed I was copying down the recipe. Next time I go shopping twill be a tasty day indeed. :hungry:
Glad you like it. This is a recipe I make probably every other week and we never get tired of it.

Return to “Dinner to Die For”